Is space curvature misleading?

In summary, Marolf's paper shows that general relativity does not require a fifth dimension, and that the concept of a "gravitational lens" is an artifact of living in a 2D space-time.
Helios
Yes, general relativity is out of my depths for now. Now I've often seen drawings of a gravitational source represented by a dimple ( downward ) on a surface. Yet GR never speaks of a fifth dimension. Nor have I ever seen a dimple upwards that I would suppose would represent repulsive gravity which I've never heard to exist. Is gravity more like an optical distortion. A gradient in the index of refraction will curve light and matter too. Surely someone has formulated this, given the "gravitational lens" effect. Is curvature misleading in that it alludes to a higher dimension?

Physics news on Phys.org
Helios said:
Now I've often seen drawings of a gravitational source represented by a dimple ( downward ) on a surface. Yet GR never speaks of a fifth dimension.

GR speaks about longer distances between coordinates, in some areas compared to other areas. Apply this to a simple 2D grid, and demand that one point has a longer distance to its neighbor points, than all the other points to their neighbors. One way to visualize this is to offest this point into an additional 3rd dimension. This is called embedding.

Helios said:
Nor have I ever seen a dimple upwards that I would suppose would represent repulsive gravity which I've never heard to exist.

A dimple upward on a 2D surface produces the same distances as a dimple downward, and that's all that matters for those living in the the 2D world. They know nothing about the 3rd dimension and that downward-upward-stuff. Free falling objects moving on geodesics (straight forward without steering left or right) take the same path around a upward and downward dimple.

Helios said:
Is gravity more like an optical distortion. A gradient in the index of refraction will curve light and matter too.

Thats another way to visualize intrinsic curvature. Instead of moving the point into a higher dimension you could say that the area around it is "denser" which results in the increased distances.

Helios said:
Is curvature misleading in that it alludes to a higher dimension?

Mathematically it doesn't matter. It is just a question how to envision curvature. Here my post in a similar recent thread:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1543132#post1543132

Helios said:
Yes, general relativity is out of my depths for now. Now I've often seen drawings of a gravitational source represented by a dimple ( downward ) on a surface. Yet GR never speaks of a fifth dimension. Nor have I ever seen a dimple upwards that I would suppose would represent repulsive gravity which I've never heard to exist. Is gravity more like an optical distortion. A gradient in the index of refraction will curve light and matter too. Surely someone has formulated this, given the "gravitational lens" effect. Is curvature misleading in that it alludes to a higher dimension?

I believe that you are already familiar with space-time diagrams from another post I saw of yours.

You can think of GR as drawing your space-time diagrams on a curved surface. Exactly what surface for the case of the Schwarzschild geometry is described in a paper by Marolf.

http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9806123

Note that it is not really space that is curved, but space-time. The point is that one does standard special relativity, but draws the space-time diagrams on a curved surface rather than a flat one. In this example, we envision this curved surface by the usual visual aid of an embedding diagram, i.e. we visualize the curved surface as an actual surface of some object in a higher dimensional space.

Some of the paper may be a bit hard to follow, there's some discussion at
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=149932&page=3 which also has some color plots. (Marolf's paper also has plots, but they are black & white).

here.

Time runs upwards in this plot, so timelike worldlines must move primarily upwards. The region external to the event horizon, our universe, is colored green. The interior of the black hole is colored red. The event horizon is where the red and green surfaces intersect. Of course this is only a 2-d subset of the full Schwarzschild geometry - it is the radial r-t plane.

Because this includes the kruskal extensions, the picture also includes a "white hole" region (pink) and a second asymptotically flat space-time (blue).

Last edited:

1. What is space curvature?

Space curvature refers to the bending of space caused by massive objects such as planets and stars. It is a fundamental concept in Einstein's theory of general relativity, which describes how gravity works.

2. How does space curvature affect our understanding of the universe?

Space curvature plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe. It explains the motion of celestial bodies and the structure of the universe on both large and small scales. It also allows us to make accurate predictions about the behavior of objects in space.

3. Is space curvature misleading?

No, space curvature is not misleading. It is a well-established concept supported by extensive evidence from observations and experiments. It has been confirmed by numerous experiments, including the famous bending of starlight during a solar eclipse.

4. Can we observe space curvature directly?

No, we cannot observe space curvature directly. It is an abstract concept that describes the geometry of space. However, we can indirectly observe its effects, such as the gravitational lensing of light by massive objects, which is a result of space curvature.

5. How does the understanding of space curvature contribute to our technological advancements?

The understanding of space curvature has contributed significantly to our technological advancements. It has allowed us to develop accurate navigation systems, such as GPS, and to send spacecraft on precise trajectories. It also plays a crucial role in the development of concepts such as black holes and the search for gravitational waves.