Understanding Dissociation Energy: O2+ vs O2

In summary, the dissociation energy for N2 is higher than N2+ due to the stronger triple bond in N2. Similarly, the dissociation energy for O2+ is higher than O2 because of the higher bond order, which is determined by the number of electrons in bonding and antibonding orbitals. This can be seen in MO pictures for N2 and O2. By doing a similar calculation for O2, it becomes clear why O2+ has a higher bond order.
gazepdapi1
I am having some trouble understanding this concept. I get that the dissociation energy for N2 is much greater than N2+ because of the triple bond, which makes a stronger bond, and therefore it is harder to remove one bond, compared to N2+ where it is easier to remove the bond because of one less electron. My professor today though was saying that for oxygen, the dissociation energy of O2+ is higher than just O2. She explained why with orbital theory, but I was having trouble keeping up Can someone tell me why?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
bond order = (#electrons in bonding orbitals - #electrons in antibonding orbitals)/2

In N2, bond order is (8-2)/2 = 3
In N2+, it is (7-2)/2 = 2.5 (lower, weaker bond)

Your textbook should have MO pictures for N2, O2

Do a similar calculation for O2, you should see why O2+ has a higher bond order

thank you for your help

1. What is dissociation energy?

Dissociation energy is the amount of energy required to break apart a molecule into its individual atoms.

2. What is the difference between O2+ and O2 in terms of dissociation energy?

O2+ and O2 are both forms of oxygen molecules. However, O2+ has lost an electron and has a positive charge, making it more unstable and easier to break apart compared to O2. Therefore, O2+ has a lower dissociation energy than O2.

3. How is dissociation energy measured?

Dissociation energy is typically measured in units of kilojoules per mole (kJ/mol). This value is determined through experimental methods, such as using spectroscopy to measure the amount of energy absorbed during the dissociation process.

4. What factors can affect the dissociation energy of a molecule?

The dissociation energy of a molecule can be influenced by factors such as bond strength, bond length, and molecular structure. For example, molecules with shorter and stronger bonds tend to have higher dissociation energies.

5. Why is understanding dissociation energy important?

Understanding dissociation energy is crucial in many fields of science, including chemistry, physics, and materials science. It plays a key role in understanding chemical reactions, determining the stability of molecules, and predicting the properties of materials.