How are physics programs in Pa universities?

In summary, the conversation discusses various colleges in Pennsylvania and the Philadelphia area that offer strong programs in physics. The suggested colleges include Penn State, Widener, Drexel, Bloomsburg, Carnegie Mellon University, University of Pittsburgh, University of Pennsylvania, Temple University, Penn State Erie, Swarthmore College, Bucknell University, Bryn Mawr College, Haverford College, and Dickinson College. The conversation also mentions Villanova University's Astronomy Department for those interested in astronomy.
glennpagano44
How are the following college for physics programs Penn State, Widener, Drexel, Blooms burg, and Carnegie Mellon University. Are there any other good colleges for physics major in Pennsylvania and Philadelphia area.

Physics news on Phys.org
In addition to your list, you might want to also look into:
u. pittsburgh, u. penn, temple, penn state erie (behrend),
swarthmore, bucknell, bryn mawr, haverford, dickinson

...in NJ, near Philadelphia, there's also princeton

Thanks I will look into those

robphy said:
In addition to your list, you might want to also look into:
u. pittsburgh, u. penn, temple, penn state erie (behrend),
swarthmore, bucknell, bryn mawr, haverford, dickinson

...in NJ, near Philadelphia, there's also princeton

I'm surprised to see Dickinson on the list... I live about 10 minutes from there, perhaps I'll check it you too. Though its suppose to be pretty expensive. I think the SAT score average or something to get in there is like a 1300 or something (classic score).

I'm not sure about your area of interest, but I worked at the Villanova University Astronomy Department for two summers. Since they only grant astronomy bachelor's degrees, their undergrads are heavily involved in research. The undergrads I spoke to seemed happy with the level of education, and the department was very close-knit.

1. How do the physics programs in Pennsylvania universities compare to other states?

The physics programs in Pennsylvania universities are highly regarded and have consistently been ranked among the top programs in the country. Several universities, such as Carnegie Mellon and the University of Pennsylvania, have strong research programs and well-respected faculty.

2. What types of research opportunities are available for physics students in Pennsylvania universities?

Pennsylvania universities offer a wide range of research opportunities for physics students. Some universities have their own research facilities, while others have collaborations with national laboratories. Students can also participate in research projects with faculty members or through summer internships.

3. Are there any specific areas of focus within the physics programs in Pennsylvania universities?

Many Pennsylvania universities have specialized research areas within their physics programs, such as nanotechnology, astrophysics, and quantum mechanics. Students can choose to focus on a specific area or explore different fields through elective courses and research opportunities.

4. What is the job placement rate for physics graduates from Pennsylvania universities?

The job placement rate for physics graduates from Pennsylvania universities is high, with many students securing positions in research labs, academia, and industry. The strong reputation of the universities and their physics programs also opens up opportunities for graduates in other states and countries.

5. How are the facilities and resources for physics students at Pennsylvania universities?

Pennsylvania universities have state-of-the-art facilities and resources for physics students, including well-equipped laboratories, research centers, and libraries. Students also have access to advanced equipment and technology, such as particle accelerators and telescopes, for their research projects.