Are you suppose to learn something in high school

In summary, it is a good idea to transfer to a different high school if you want to learn more than what is offered at your current school.
algebra2
is it a good idea to, let's say, stay in a high school where your grades are high and you're highly ranked because all the other students don't care about their education and the teachers don't as well, as opposed to transfering to a different high school where you can actually learn something from certified scientists and mathematicians as well as be around those who really want to learn and are 100% committed. my schedule is pretty strong too, but the teachers don't teach, they sit there and baby sit you.

what I am trying to say is, if i stay in a school where I'm at the top of the class would i be more likely to get accepted into an extrodinary college. the problem, however, is that if i do, i will go there having learned nothing.

what is your take on this, you smart geniuses, you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Consortium_for_Specialized_Secondary_Schools_of_Mathematics%2C_Science_and_Technology

Transfer to one of those schools if you live in one of those states.

Vid said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Consortium_for_Specialized_Secondary_Schools_of_Mathematics%2C_Science_and_Technology

Transfer to one of those schools if you live in one of those states.

I went to one of these high schools. It was a very good experience from a student-teacher point of view (quite a few had masters or PhD's in the fields they were teaching). The students still didn't all give a hoot though!

jhicks said:
I went to one of these high schools. It was a very good experience from a student-teacher point of view (quite a few had masters or PhD's in the fields they were teaching). The students still didn't all give a hoot though!

I went to your standard public high school. I didn't give a hoot either. That was 30 years ago. I'm pretty sure that even when humanity achieves type III status, this will still be the case.

algebra2 said:
but the teachers don't teach, they sit there and baby sit you.

Life is and will be what you make of it. If you have to be baby sat, at least take a good book. :smile:

The point of school is to teach people on how to be an average tax paying citizen. The government educates you to be smart enough to pay taxes. By graduating college, you probably just hit the top 10% or even 5% rung of society.

Be glad what you have now. There's a decent number of people who don't or CAN'T graduate from high school and usually end up on the streets mugging graduates like some of us or just dealing drugs.

1. What is the purpose of learning in high school?

The purpose of learning in high school is to provide students with a well-rounded education and prepare them for higher education or the workforce. It also helps students develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills.

2. Is learning in high school only about academics?

No, learning in high school also includes non-academic skills such as time management, teamwork, and social skills. These skills are important for success in college and the workforce.

3. How does learning in high school benefit students in the long run?

Learning in high school helps students become lifelong learners and equips them with the knowledge and skills necessary for success in their future endeavors. It also opens up opportunities for higher education and career advancement.

4. Are all subjects taught in high school equally important?

While all subjects are important, some may be more relevant to a student's chosen career path. However, a well-rounded education includes a variety of subjects, including math, science, history, and English.

5. How can students make the most out of their learning in high school?

Students can make the most out of their learning in high school by actively participating in class, asking questions, and seeking help when needed. They can also take advantage of extracurricular activities, such as clubs and sports, to enhance their skills and interests.