Purdue vs Urbana Champaign? : Undergrduate Computer Engineering

In summary, the person is from India and has received admissions from both Purdue and University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign for their undergraduate program in Computer Engineering. They are unsure which one to accept and are seeking guidance on factors such as rankings, program quality, faculty, facilities, fees, travel, campus life, living arrangements, and scholarships. The speaker, who is a student at Purdue, is biased towards their school and mentions that the curriculum at both schools is similar. However, Purdue may have a better reputation and job placement opportunities. They also mention that both schools are located in the American heartland and have a similar culture. The speaker recommends choosing Purdue, but is open to others' opinions on the ECE programs at both schools.
ishanwahi
Hi,
I`m from India having not much knowledge of the American Universities.
I have recvd admit confirmations from both Purdue & Univ of Illinois at Urbana Champaign for their 4 year undergraduate programme in Computer Engineering and am in the usual dilemma... which to confirm?

Rankings ... Illinois is better ranked but Purdue is not ranked really much below and has a reputation of being a pure engineering institute.

I don`t know much about the quality of their courses,programmes, faculty and facilities in Computer Engineering undergarduate department.

Kindly guide me. Thanks a ton

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Then maybe your decision should be based on factors other than the ranking- like fees, travel involved, campus life, residences, schlarships/bursaries etc.

First off, as a Boilermaker (Purdue) I am obviously biased toward my school. Second, I am an ME and don't claim to know all of the details of the ECE program at Purdue nor Illinois.

That said, take this for whatever it is worth. As far as curriculum, the ME curriculum's between the two schools are VERY similar and I would assume the same is true for most engineering disciplines at the two schools. So, as far as knowledge you will gain, it is a tossup.

Both are situated in the middle of the American heartland. The towns are small and most at the university are from the state, so the culture shock will be similar. Champaign is a much neater town that West Lafayette, IMO. So the edge for location would have to go to Champaign, but very slightly.

The biggest difference is probably reputation. Purdue seems to have a better reputation than Illinois, particularly outside of the mid-west region. This is particularly important when it comes to job placement. This just comes from my personal experience with co-oping, internships, other job interviews, and etc. I have had several people who were convinced that Purdue was an Ivy League school before I met them. Of course, these probably won't be the people who are hiring you but I found it amusing.

I was born and raised a Boiler and can't really imagine being anywhere else, so I would convince you to become one as well ;).

If anyone else knows anything about Purdue or UOI ECE programs please chime in.

1. What is the difference between Purdue and Urbana Champaign for undergraduate computer engineering?

Purdue and Urbana Champaign are both highly reputable universities with strong computer engineering programs. However, there are a few key differences between the two. Purdue has a larger undergraduate student population and offers a wider range of computer engineering specializations, such as computer hardware engineering and software engineering. On the other hand, Urbana Champaign has a smaller undergraduate student population and is known for its strong research opportunities in computer engineering.

2. Which university has a better reputation for undergraduate computer engineering?

Both Purdue and Urbana Champaign have excellent reputations for their undergraduate computer engineering programs. It ultimately depends on what you are looking for in a program and which university aligns better with your academic and career goals. It is recommended to research the specific program offerings, faculty, and alumni success stories to determine which university may be a better fit for you.

3. What is the average class size for computer engineering courses at Purdue and Urbana Champaign?

The average class size for computer engineering courses at Purdue and Urbana Champaign may vary depending on the specific course and semester. However, in general, Purdue tends to have larger class sizes compared to Urbana Champaign. This may be due to Purdue's larger undergraduate student population.

4. How do the internship and co-op opportunities compare between Purdue and Urbana Champaign for computer engineering students?

Both Purdue and Urbana Champaign have strong internship and co-op programs for computer engineering students. However, Purdue may have a slight advantage in this aspect due to its larger student population and proximity to a larger city (Indianapolis). This may provide more diverse and readily available internship and co-op opportunities for Purdue students.

5. What is the average starting salary for graduates of Purdue and Urbana Champaign's computer engineering programs?

The average starting salary for graduates of Purdue and Urbana Champaign's computer engineering programs may vary depending on the industry, location, and individual factors. However, both universities have strong reputations and their graduates tend to have high starting salaries. According to Payscale, the average starting salary for computer engineering graduates from Purdue is around $75,000, while the average starting salary for computer engineering graduates from Urbana Champaign is around $80,000.