How is potential energy transferred between masses separated by a spring?

In summary, the conversation discusses the transfer of potential energy from a spring to two different masses when the spring is released from one of the masses. After further clarification, it is determined that none of the stored energy in the spring is transferred to either mass, as it is dissipated as heat.
grabbinghands
If two different masses, separated by a spring, are pulled apart, and then the spring is instantaneously release from one of the masses, how much of the potential energy that was stored in the spring is transferred to each mass?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you saying that one mass is released while the other is held still?

After thinking about it some more, I feel I should restate my question. I've attached a picture to make it more clear. Here's the problem: the fixed base on the right is extended a distance x so that all springs are in tension and then spring 2 is disconnected instantaneously from mass 2. I would like to evaluate the responses of mass 1 and mass 2, but am unsure how much, if any, of the stored energy in spring 2 is transferred to mass 2. Thanks.

Attachments

• spring-mass.jpg
    spring-mass.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 547
Interesting. I'd say that none of it is transferred to the masses.

I could see no energy being transferred to mass 2, but wouldn't the stored energy of spring 2 have to go somewhere, mass 1 being the likely candidate, for conservation of energy?

Spring 2 will dissipate that energy as heat. (I agree with Doc.)

Thanks for the responses! Appreciate it.

1. What is stored energy in a spring?

Stored energy in a spring is the potential energy that is stored in the deformation of a material, such as a metal coil or rubber band, when it is stretched or compressed.

2. How is stored energy in a spring calculated?

The calculation for stored energy in a spring is: E = 1/2 * k * x^2, where E is the stored energy in joules, k is the spring constant in newtons per meter, and x is the displacement of the spring in meters.

3. What factors affect the amount of stored energy in a spring?

The amount of stored energy in a spring is affected by the spring's stiffness, which is determined by its material and shape, as well as the amount of displacement or compression.

4. How is stored energy in a spring used in everyday life?

Stored energy in a spring is commonly used in various devices, such as door hinges, vehicle suspension systems, and wind-up toys. It is also used in physics experiments to demonstrate potential energy and conservation of energy.

5. Can stored energy in a spring be converted into another form of energy?

Yes, stored energy in a spring can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy, when the spring is released and returns to its original shape. This is the principle behind a variety of mechanical devices, such as clocks and pogo sticks.