Toy Field Theories for Calculating Cross-Sections

In summary, the conversation discusses various toy field theories that can be used to practice calculating cross-sections. These include QED, Yukawa, pseudoscalar, axial vector, and \phi^4 theories, as well as theories with interactions involving multiple scalar fields. The conversation also mentions the use of Majorana fields in Yukawa theory, as well as a SUSY-inspired theory with different complex scalar fields, a Dirac field, and a Majorana field with specific interactions.
jdstokes
Hi all,

Can you help me come up with toy field theories to practice calculating cross-sections? I'm not considering theories with derivative couplings like scalar electrodynamics.

The interaction vertices I'm aware of are [itex]\bar{\psi} \gamma^\mu A_\mu \psi[/itex] (QED), [itex]\bar{\psi}\psi\varphi[/itex] (Yukawa), [itex]\bar{\psi}\gamma_5 \psi \varphi[/itex] (pseudoscalar theory), [itex]\bar{\psi}\gamma^\mu B_\mu \gamma_5 \psi[/itex] (axial vector), [itex]\bar{\psi}\psi\varphi^2[/itex] (don't know if this has a name). What are some other creative field theory interactions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try a Yukawa interaction with a Majorana field and say a scalar

Btw there are some typos in your interaction terms and some overlap, but anyway.

Really, I don't see any typos in those interaction lagrangians? The placement of gamma-5 to the right of the gamma's is consistent with [itex]\gamma_5 = i\gamma^0\gamma^1\gamma^2\gamma^3[/itex]. Are you referring to the fact that I wrote B instead of A for the vector field? I guess there should be an i in front of the pseudoscalar to ensure Hermiticity. What do you mean when you say some of them overlap?

I'm not familiar with Majorana fields, how would one write down such an interaction?

Thanks.

There's always [tex]\phi^4[/tex] theory, and the theory of a complex scalar field with interaction [tex](\phi^{\dag}\phi)^2[/tex]. Another popular one is [tex]\phi^3[/tex] theory in six spacetime dimensions -- Srednicki uses that in his QFT book since its one-loop renormalization is more interesting than that of [tex]\phi^4[/tex]. Yes, it's sick (no ground state), but it can still be used as a toy field theory.

Also from Srednicki (chapter 11): a theory of two real scalar fields [tex]A[/tex] and [tex]B[/tex] with an interaction [tex]gAB^2[/tex]; a theory of a real scalar field and a complex scalar field [tex]\chi[/tex] with an interaction [tex]g\phi\chi^{\dag}\chi[/tex]; a theory of three real scalar fields [tex]A[/tex], [tex]B[/tex] and [tex]C[/tex] with interaction [tex]gABC[/tex].

Srednicki's chapter 49 walks you through Feynman rules for Majorana fields, considering specifically Yukawa theory. The chapter 49 problem considers a SUSY-inspired theory of two different complex scalar fields [tex]E_L[/tex] and [tex]E_R[/tex], a Dirac field [tex]\Psi[/tex] and a Majorana field [tex]X[/tex] with interaction
[tex]\sqrt 2e E_L^{\dag}\bar XP_L\Psi + \sqrt 2e E_R^{\dag}\bar XP_R\Psi + h.c.[/tex]
where [tex]P_{L, R}[/tex] are the projections [tex](1 \pm \gamma_5) / 2[/tex].

1. What is a toy field theory?

A toy field theory is a simplified version of a real field theory, often used as a pedagogical tool to help understand the concepts and calculations involved in calculating cross-sections in particle physics.

2. How are toy field theories used to calculate cross-sections?

Toy field theories use simplified models of particle interactions to demonstrate the principles and calculations involved in calculating cross-sections. They often involve only a few particles and use simplified equations to make the calculations more manageable.

3. What is the importance of calculating cross-sections in particle physics?

Cross-sections are a measure of the probability of a particle interaction occurring. They are essential in understanding the behavior of particles and predicting the outcomes of experiments.

4. Are toy field theories accurate representations of real interactions?

No, toy field theories are simplified models and do not accurately represent real particle interactions. They are meant to serve as a learning tool and are not used for actual calculations in research.

5. Can toy field theories be applied to all types of particle interactions?

Toy field theories are typically used for interactions involving only a few particles. They are not suitable for more complex interactions, such as those involving strong nuclear forces.