Integrating Exponentials with Coefficients

• Thread starter JFonseka
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of x.e^{2x^{2}} and the incorrect approach of using the product rule for derivatives. It suggests making the substitution u = 2x^{2} and using the fact that du/dx = 4x.dx to solve the integral. The correct answer is \frac{e^{2x^{2}}}{4}.
JFonseka

Homework Statement

Integrate: x.e[tex]^{2x^{2}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

I first thought that the coefficient 2 in "2x" would become the denominator:

[tex]\frac{x.e^{2x^{2}}}{2}[/tex]

and then integrating the x would mean x^2 and division by another two making the answer:

[tex]\frac{x^{2}.e^{2x^{2}}}{4}[/tex]

But the answer listed in the book doesn't have an x^2, it's only
[tex]\frac{e^{2x^{2}}}{4}[/tex]

What did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't do anything right! You know, I hope, that the derivative of product is NOT just the product of the derivatives: (fg)'= f'g+ fg', not f'g'. So you can't expect that the integral of a product will just be the product of the integrals: the integral of fg is not just the integral of f times the integral of g.

Here, you need to make a substitution: if u= x2, what is du/dx? What is du in terms of dx?

It would be 2x.dx of course.

So I guess the substitution you want me to make is u = 2x^{2} ? Therefore du/dx= 4x.dx
And then it would be [tex]du/4.e^{u}[/tex]

But then I don't see how that becomes the correct answer.

What is an integral of an exponential function?

An integral of an exponential function is the process of finding the area under the curve of the function. It is denoted by the symbol ∫ and is a fundamental concept in calculus.

What is the general formula for integrating an exponential function?

The general formula for integrating an exponential function is ∫ e^x dx = e^x + C, where C is the constant of integration. This formula can be applied to any exponential function with the base e.

How do you solve integrals of exponential functions?

To solve an integral of an exponential function, you can use integration by parts, substitution, or the table of integrals to simplify the expression. It is important to follow the rules of integration and know the properties of exponential functions to solve the integral correctly.

What is the relationship between integrals and derivatives of exponential functions?

There is a close relationship between integrals and derivatives of exponential functions. The derivative of an exponential function is equal to the original function multiplied by the natural log of the base e. This relationship is known as the logarithmic differentiation rule.

Why are integrals of exponential functions important in science?

Integrals of exponential functions are important in science because they are used to model a wide range of natural phenomena, such as population growth, radioactive decay, and compound interest. They also play a crucial role in solving differential equations, which are used to describe many physical processes.