Fourier Transforms: Proving operational properties

In summary, the conversation is about proving the property of a Fourier transform and its inverse. The first formula is proven using a link provided, but the person is having trouble proving the second formula and asks for a hint. The solution is to take x = -y.
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi all.

I wish to prove the following property of a Fourier transform:
[tex]
F(f)(x) = F^{-1}(f)(-x),
[/tex]
which means that the Fourier transform of a function f in the x-variable is equal to the inverse Fourier transform in the -x-variable. This is proven here:

http://www.sunlightd.com/Fourier/Duality.aspx

Now I wish to prove the following:
[tex]
F(f)(-x) = F^{-1}(f)(x),
[/tex]
but I cannot get started. I am not sure of what substitutions to make. Can you give me a hint?

Thanks in advance,

sincerely,
Niles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If the first formula holds for any y, then just take x = -y. That's just it, isn't it?

I guess you are right. Thanks :-)

1. What is a Fourier Transform?

A Fourier Transform is a mathematical operation that takes a function and decomposes it into its constituent frequencies. It is used to analyze signals and functions in the frequency domain, providing information about the component frequencies and their relative strengths.

2. What are the operational properties of Fourier Transforms?

The operational properties of Fourier Transforms include linearity, time shifting, frequency shifting, time scaling, and convolution. These properties allow for the manipulation and analysis of signals in the frequency domain.

3. How do you prove the operational properties of Fourier Transforms?

The operational properties of Fourier Transforms can be proven using mathematical techniques such as integration, differentiation, and algebraic manipulation. These proofs involve applying the Fourier Transform operation to the mathematical expressions of the operational properties.

4. What are some applications of Fourier Transforms?

Fourier Transforms have a wide range of applications in fields such as signal processing, image processing, audio analysis, and data compression. They are also used in solving differential equations and in quantum mechanics.

5. Are there any limitations to Fourier Transforms?

While Fourier Transforms are a powerful tool for analyzing signals and functions, they have some limitations. They are only applicable to functions that are continuous and have a finite number of discontinuities. They also assume that signals are periodic, which may not always be the case in real-world applications.