Find the coordinates of the point on the ellipsoid where the major axis meet

In summary, to find the angle of a point inside an ellipsoid from the center of the ellipsoid, you can find the coordinates of the intersecting point on the major axis using the unit vector of the axis. Then, use the distance formula and cosine law to find the angle between the point and center of the ellipsoid. Make sure to account for the components of the semi-major axis vector when calculating the angle.
ppmko

Homework Statement

I have a point p(xp,yp,zp) inside an ellipsoid and i want to find the angle of that point from the center of the ellipsoid(xc,yc,zc) .

I also have
the major axis length 'a' ,with length ax,ay and az components

I calculated the unit vector of axis a with formula length of axis 'a"/sqrt(ax^2+ay^2+az^2).

Homework Equations

how do i find the angle at which p makes with the center of ellipsoid from the from axis a

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the coordinates of the point that intersect the major axis on the ellipsoid using the unit vector by calculating the xcoordinate as ax/sqrt(ax^2+ay^2+az^2) similarly for y and z coordinates
this give me 2 set of coordinates .now i have new coordinates of the point that intersects the major axis on the ellipsoid and the coordinates of p . Now i use distance formula and then use the cosine law for triangles to find the angle betwen the point p and the center of the ellipsoid.pls let me know if this is correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
The coordinates of points C, A, and P are (xc,yc,zc), (xa,ya,za), and (xp,yp,zp), respectively. The length of vector CA is La = sqrt[(xa-xc)^2 + (ya-yc)^2 + (za-zc)^2]. The length of vector CP is Lp = sqrt[(xp-xc)^2 + (yp-yc)^2 + (zp-zc)^2]. Therefore, the angle between vectors CA and CP is as follows.

theta = acos{[(xa-xc)(xp-xc) + (ya-yc)(yp-yc) + (za-zc)(zp-zc)]/(La*Lp)}

but " a" is not a point. see the coordinates of p and center are given. length of axis and components are given. I am not sure if I can consider components of vector A to be coordinates.Then I can use the cosine formula for the triangle.

Good catch. So the coordinates of points C and P are (xc,yc,zc) and (xp,yp,zp). And the components of the length of the ellipsoid semi-major axis are ax, ay, and az. We can call the semi-major axis vector CA. The coordinates of point A are therefore ((xc+ax),(yc+ay),(zc+az)). The length of vector CA is a. The length of vector CP is Lp = sqrt[(xp-xc)^2 + (yp-yc)^2 + (zp-zc)^2]. Therefore, the angle between vectors CA and CP is as follows.

theta = acos{[ax*(xp-xc) + ay*(yp-yc) + az*(zp-zc)]/(a*Lp)}

What is an ellipsoid?

An ellipsoid is a three-dimensional geometric shape that is similar to a sphere, but with different diameters along each axis. It is commonly referred to as an "oblate spheroid" if its polar radius is smaller than its equatorial radius, or a "prolate spheroid" if the polar radius is larger.

What is the major axis of an ellipsoid?

The major axis of an ellipsoid is the longest diameter of the shape, passing through the center and connecting two points on the surface that are farthest from each other.

Why is it important to find the coordinates of the point where the major axis meets the ellipsoid?

Knowing the coordinates of this point allows us to determine the orientation and size of the ellipsoid, which can be useful in a variety of fields such as geodesy, cartography, and satellite navigation.

How can I find the coordinates of this point on the ellipsoid?

The coordinates of the point where the major axis meets the ellipsoid can be found using mathematical formulas and calculations, taking into account the shape and size of the ellipsoid, as well as its orientation and position in space. There are also specialized software and tools available for this purpose.

What are some real-world applications of finding the coordinates of this point?

Finding the coordinates of the point where the major axis meets the ellipsoid is important in various fields such as geodesy, which is the science of measuring and mapping the Earth's surface; cartography, which is the creation of maps and charts; and satellite navigation, which relies on accurate positioning information to determine location and direction. It can also be useful in astronomy and physics for studying the shape and dynamics of celestial bodies.