Can't find formula of a serie.

• Thread starter bundleguide
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem from a Calculus book involving finding the formula for a series with a given set of terms. The conversation explores various attempts at finding the formula, and ultimately arrives at a solution by subtracting 1/2 from the original series. It is then determined that the convergence or divergence of the original series and the modified series will be the same.
bundleguide
A problem from my old Calculus book I can't solve...

Homework Statement

Find the formula of this serie knowing its first five terms:

[tex]1 +\left(\frac{2}{5}\right)^{2} +\left(\frac{3}{8}\right)^{3} +\left(\frac{4}{11}\right)^{4} +\left(\frac{5}{14}\right)^{5} + \cdots[/tex]

2. Relevant formulas

If the first term was 1/2 then the formula would simply be

[tex]\sum_{i = 1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{i}{2+3(i-1)}\right)^{i}[/tex]

but the first term being 1, I can't see how to do it...

(Maybe the first term IS 1/2 and it got missprinted in the book ?)

Also, the answer is not given in the book.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried these as possible values for a first item equal to 1 without any success:

[tex]\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)^{0}=1[/tex]

[tex]\left(\frac{1}{1}\right)^{1}=1[/tex]

[tex]\left(\frac{2}{2}\right)^{1}=1[/tex]

So, is there a formula for this serie with first term = 1 ?

Thanks !

Physics news on Phys.org
could you do 1 + [tex]
\sum_{i = 2}^{\infty}\left(\frac{i}{3i-1)}\right)^{i}
[/tex] ? I can't think of a series that fits there without just not counting the "first" term.

How about this?
[tex]1/2 +\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)^{1} + \left(\frac{2}{5}\right)^{2} +\left(\frac{3}{8}\right)^{3} +\left(\frac{4}{11}\right)^{4} +\left(\frac{5}{14}\right)^{5} + \cdots[/tex]

Now you can write this as 1/2 + the summation you had, starting at i = 1, though. I don't see any problem with doing that.

Thanks Hogger and Mark44.

I think you got it !

I needed the formula of the serie to figure out if it converge or not.
Substracting 1/2 from it made me remember about this theorem from the book:

"Convergence or divergence of a serie is not affected by adding or substracting a finite number of terms from it."

So, and if I get all this right, convergence or divergence of these series will be the same:

The serie from the book:

[tex]1 +\left(\frac{2}{5}\right)^{2} +\left(\frac{3}{8}\right)^{3} +\left(\frac{4}{11}\right)^{4} +\left(\frac{5}{14}\right)^{5} + \cdots[/tex]

The serie minus 1/2:

[tex]\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)^{1} +\left(\frac{2}{5}\right)^{2} +\left(\frac{3}{8}\right)^{3} +\left(\frac{4}{11}\right)^{4} +\left(\frac{5}{14}\right)^{5} + \cdots[/tex]

The second serie brings us back to the Relevant formula of my original post and I know how to find-out if it converge or not.

If it does, the serie from the book does to.

Is this right ?

Thanks !

Yes, this is right.

BTW, there is no such word in English as "serie." The word is series, which is both singular and plural.

1. What are series and why are they important in mathematics?

Series are a sequence of numbers or terms that are added together. They are important in mathematics because they help us understand patterns and relationships between numbers, and can be used to solve complex mathematical problems.

2. Why is it sometimes difficult to find the formula of a series?

Finding the formula of a series can be difficult because not all series follow a simple pattern or have a clear rule. Some series may have complex or unpredictable patterns, making it challenging to find a formula that accurately describes the series.

3. What are some techniques for finding the formula of a series?

Some techniques for finding the formula of a series include looking for patterns in the sequence of numbers, using algebraic manipulation to simplify the series, and using mathematical formulas specific to certain types of series, such as geometric or arithmetic series.

4. Can a series have more than one possible formula?

Yes, a series can have more than one possible formula. This is because there may be different patterns or rules that can be used to describe the same series of numbers. It is important to thoroughly analyze the series and consider different approaches when trying to find its formula.

5. Why is it important to find the formula of a series?

Finding the formula of a series can help us understand and predict the behavior of the series. It also allows us to generalize the series and calculate its terms without having to manually add each individual term. Additionally, knowing the formula of a series can help us solve more complex mathematical problems that involve series.