Question about ordering figures in MS Word

• Thread starter LennoxLewis
  • Start date
In summary, there is a way to label pictures with numbers in Word that automatically re-numbers if you add one in between. This feature is available by right-clicking on the picture and clicking 'add caption'. To update the figure number, right-click on the caption and click 'update fields'. To refer to a caption from the text itself, simply change the figure number in the caption and it will automatically update in the text. This feature may not work well in Office 2007, but it can be accessed by using the 'add caption' option.
LennoxLewis
I know there is a way in Word that labels pictures with numbers, say, figure 1.1, 1.2, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, etc. In this way, the labels automatically re-number if you add one in between. However, i can't seem to find out how to do it anymore. I'm using quite a new version of MS Office, i think 2007 or 2008; the one that saves as .docx instead of .doc.

No comments like "Just use Latex" please. :mad:

Computer science news on Phys.org
yeah Office 2007 doesn't do that very well in my experience, but you can try:
right clicking on the picture and click 'add caption'
this will give you a caption box with figure 1 and you can add your own text and change the format from here.
if you need to update the figure number, then click on the caption and the number part will get a grey background. right click the number and click update fields. another way to ensure that all fields are updated is to select all (click somewhere in you doc and press ctrl a) and then press F9 or go to the menu and click update fields.

Thanks. One more thing, though, how do i refer to a caption from the text itself?

I.e. when i change figure 1.2 to 1.3, how can i make the reference in the text also change from 1.2 to 1.3?

1. How do I change the order of figures in MS Word?

To change the order of figures in MS Word, simply click on the figure you want to move and drag it to the desired location. You can also use the "Cut" and "Paste" functions to move figures to different parts of your document.

2. Can I customize the numbering of figures in MS Word?

Yes, you can customize the numbering of figures in MS Word by right-clicking on the figure and selecting "Numbering". From there, you can choose the desired numbering format and customize it to your preference.

3. How do I add captions to figures in MS Word?

To add captions to figures in MS Word, right-click on the figure and select "Insert Caption". You can then type in your desired caption and customize the format and numbering style.

4. Is it possible to add figures from other sources to my MS Word document?

Yes, you can add figures from other sources such as images or screenshots to your MS Word document. Simply go to the "Insert" tab and select "Pictures" or "Screenshots" to add the desired figure.

5. Can I rearrange figures in a specific order in MS Word?

Yes, you can rearrange figures in a specific order in MS Word by selecting all the figures you want to rearrange, right-clicking, and selecting "Group". You can then move the grouped figures as one unit to the desired location in your document.