Solve pKa of unknown monoprotic Acid

• Thread starter Comrade
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acid
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of calculating the molar mass of a monoprotic acid using a titration with NaOH and then finding the Ka of the acid after the addition of 10mL and a pH of 5.87. The correct approach is to use the number of moles of acid that have been converted to A- and to divide by the final volume to find the concentration of A-. Then, subtract the number of moles of A- from the initial number of moles of acid to find the moles of HA left in the flask. Finally, use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation to solve for pKa and then convert to Ka. The conversation also mentions the importance of significant figures
Comrade
I've been trying to figure this one out for a while.

A 0.1276g sample of a monoprotic acid was dissolved in 25mL H2O, and titrated with a .0633 M NaOH solution. Volume required to reach equivalence point was 18.4 mL.
It asked me to calculate the molar mass, which i found to be 116g/mol:
0.0633 x .0184 = .0011 moles NaOH.
1 mol NaOH = 1 mol Acid = .0011 moles Acid.
[tex]\frac{.1276g}{.0011}[/tex] = 116 g/mol

Then it asks to find the Ka of the acid after the addition of 10 mL and pH of 5.87.
I tried using the formula: pH = pKa + log [tex]\frac{[A-]}{[HA]}[/tex]
but the answer in the back of the text doesn't match up to what i come up with, so I'm guessing that isn't the right way of doing this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Show details of your pKa calculation - approach seems to be correct.

--

I calculated for moles in 10mL of NaOH to be 6.3*10-4
1 mol of NaOH = 1 mol of monoprotic acid,
moles monoprotic acid = 6.3*10-4

then, using:
pH = pKa + log[tex]\frac{[A-]}{[HA]}[/tex]
If my reasoning is correct, log[tex]\frac{[A-]}{[HA]}[/tex] will equal 1 since [A-] and [HA] will equal the moles of HA (6.3*10-4)

solving for Ka i get:

-log Ka = 5.87
10-5.87 = Ka = 1.35*10-6

answer in the text is 1.6*10-6

Hey Commie! Your moles of NaOH is indeed equal to the number of moles of the monoprotic acid but it isn't 6.3 X 10-4. Do over. Remember that #moles=volumeXconcentration (of NaOH, 0.0633M and 18.4 mL).

Alright, I just keep repeating my same thought pattern or something, because I keep coming up with:

.0633 M x .01L = .000633moles NaOH

Someone save me from my sinful ways!

edit: woah wait a minute. okay, so why am i using the 18.4 mL of base still? if it's asking for Ka after the addition of 10mL and pH 5.87

Last edited:
AGHHHH! My bad!

Yes, you are right, the number of moles of acid that have been converted to A- is 6.33 X 10^-4. What would 0.0117 - 6.3X10^-4 represent?

6.33 X 10^-4 is not [HA] in your equation... it's A- (moles). Divide the moles of A- by the volume in L to get [A-].

Remember that HA is not equal to [HA] and A- is not equal to [A-].

Last edited:
A-ha!
Okay, here it is.

after addition of 10mL final volume is .035L. So 6.3*10^-4 / .035L = .018 M [A-]

.00116 moles HA - 6.3*10^-4 = 5.3*10^-4 moles (HA left in flask).
5.3*10^-4 / .035 = .015 M [HA]

then:
solving for pKA,
pKa= 5.87 - log(.018/.015)
pKa= 5.79
Ka = 10^-5.79
Ka = 1.62*10^-6

Thanks chemisttree. This problem would've been bugging me for the rest of my life.

Note: you don't need concentrations in this case, number of moles will do. Volume is the same for both nominator and denominator, so it cancels out.

--

Comrade said:
A-ha!
Okay, here it is.

after addition of 10mL final volume is .035L. So 6.3*10^-4 / .035L = .018 M [A-]

.00116 moles HA - 6.3*10^-4 = 5.3*10^-4 moles (HA left in flask).
5.3*10^-4 / .035 = .015 M [HA]

then:
solving for pKA,
pKa= 5.87 - log(.018/.015)
pKa= 5.79
Ka = 10^-5.79
Ka = 1.62*10^-6

Thanks chemisttree. This problem would've been bugging me for the rest of my life.

One minor point... significant figures. If significant figures aren't important to you, then nevermind.

1. What is the definition of pKa?

The pKa of an acid is the measure of its acidity or ability to donate a proton in a solution. It is defined as the negative logarithm of the acid dissociation constant (Ka).

2. How do you determine the pKa of an unknown monoprotic acid?

The pKa of an unknown monoprotic acid can be determined through titration, where a known concentration of base is added to the acid until the equivalence point is reached. The pKa can then be calculated using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation.

3. What information is needed to calculate the pKa of an unknown monoprotic acid?

In order to calculate the pKa of an unknown monoprotic acid, you will need the initial concentration of the acid, the volume and concentration of the base added during titration, and the pH at the equivalence point.

4. Can the pKa of an unknown monoprotic acid be determined without titration?

Yes, the pKa of an unknown monoprotic acid can also be determined using a pH meter and a known concentration of the acid. The acid is added to a buffer solution and the pH is measured. The pKa can then be calculated using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation.

5. Why is knowing the pKa of an acid important?

Knowing the pKa of an acid is important in understanding the acid's strength and behavior in different solutions. It also allows for the prediction of the pH of a solution when the acid is added or the amount of acid needed to reach a desired pH.