I was studying avometer, and came across this paragraph which I find

• Thread starter uzair_ha91
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Studying
In summary, the avometer's voltage measuring part is a multirange voltmeter that uses resistances to control the range of the voltmeter. Each resistance has a different value depending on the range it controls. The series resistance scales the current of the moving coil galvanometer, with the value being determined by Ohms per volt. The AVO is a durable and precise instrument that is enjoyable to use.
uzair_ha91
I was studying avometer, and came across this paragraph which I find confusing: "The voltage measuring part of the avometer is actually a multirange voltmeter. It consists of a number of resistances each of which can be connected in series with the moving coil galvanometer with the help of a switch called the range switch. The value of each resistance depends upon the range of the voltmeter which it controls..."
I thought that the resistances make up the range, so why does it say that their values depend upon the range? What range are we talking about here? Please clarify...

Physics news on Phys.org

Im guessing, but I think they would be referring to the FSD for full scale deflection current of the moving coil galvanometer.

The series resistance will scale it's current based on I = V/R. V is the measured Voltage, and R is the total resistance of the moving coil galvanometer and the range resistance value.

This brings up the term "Ohms per volt" which is a measure of "goodness" of (mainly) analogue meters.
The AVO is a classic instrument rugged and accurage and a pleasure to use.

It is understandable that this paragraph may be confusing at first glance. Allow me to provide some clarification on the topic of avometers and their voltage measuring capabilities. The avometer is indeed a multirange voltmeter, meaning it has the ability to measure voltage at multiple ranges. This is made possible by the use of resistances, which are connected in series with the moving coil galvanometer through a range switch. The value of each resistance determines the range of the voltmeter that it controls. In other words, each resistance is responsible for measuring a specific range of voltage. Therefore, the values of the resistances do indeed depend on the range of the voltmeter they are controlling. I hope this helps to clarify any confusion you may have had.

What is an avometer and how does it work?

An avometer, also known as a multimeter, is a device used to measure electrical quantities such as voltage, current, and resistance. It typically has two probes that are used to make contact with the circuit being measured. The avometer then displays the measured values on a digital or analog screen.

What is the purpose of studying avometer?

Studying avometer allows one to understand the principles of electricity and how electrical circuits work. It also enables one to troubleshoot and diagnose any issues with electrical systems or devices.

Can an avometer measure all electrical quantities?

No, an avometer can only measure a limited range of electrical quantities such as voltage, current, and resistance. Some advanced models may also be able to measure capacitance, frequency, and temperature.

What are the different types of avometers?

There are two main types of avometers: analog and digital. Analog avometers have a needle or pointer that moves across a scale to display the measured values, while digital avometers have a digital screen that displays the values in numerical form. There are also specialized avometers for specific purposes, such as clamp meters for measuring current in a wire without making direct contact.

How should an avometer be used safely?

When using an avometer, it is important to follow safety precautions to avoid electrical shocks or damage to the device. This includes wearing appropriate protective gear, making sure the device is set to the correct measurement range, and always turning off the power before making any measurements. It is also recommended to use a fuse or current-limiting resistor when measuring high currents.