Radiation Fundamentals: Exploring the Basics

In summary: Thermal radiation is emitted in the range of 0.1 to 10 microns and is usually referred to as thermal radiation.
CuriousME
Hello Everyone,

Recently, I was trying to explain the fundamentals of thermal radiation to a non-engineer and I discovered that I myself have a poor understanding of it. I understand that "thermal radiation is continuously emitted by all matter whose temperature is above absolute temperature." However, I do not understand who or what is causing these electromagnetic waves to be emitted. According to my textbook [HEAT TRANSFER: A Practical Approach, 2nd ed.], "accelerated charges or changing electric currents give rises to electric and magnetic fields. These rapidly moving fields are called electromagnetic waves or electromagnetic radiation, and they represent the energy emitted by matter as a result of the changes in the electronic configurations of atoms or molecules." In layman's terms, what does this really mean? When atoms heat up, they bounce around faster and faster and produce more and more electromagnetic waves? Why does bouncing around create electromagnetic waves anyway?

I suppose that I was too busy trying to solve partial differential equations to think of these kinds of questions in college. There was no time to think or ponder. This seems to be the trend as I try to go back and relearn subjects. I gave all the right answers on the tests, but I think I missed some of the more important fundamentals. Those were not on the tests.

Thank you all in advance!

Science news on Phys.org
I'm only specutaling here, since this is not in my field of expertise.

The heat radiation emitted from objects is correlative to the speed and intensity of its movement, this makes the object exert more intense and more energetic waves of radiation. This correlation can also be put together through friction, like when two particles collide, they send out radiation.

Again; I'm just speculating here, as it is not my field of expertise.

From the textbook, "Transport Phenomena" by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot;

When a solid body is heated - for example, by an induction coil - the surface of the solid emits radiation of wavelength primarily in the range 0.1 to 10 microns. Such radiation is usually referred to as thermal radiation. A quantitative description of the atomic and molecular mechanisms by which the radiation is produced is given by quantum mechanics.

Thanks
Matt

1. What is radiation?

Radiation is the emission or transmission of energy in the form of waves or particles through space or a material medium. It can be found in various forms such as electromagnetic radiation, nuclear radiation, and thermal radiation.

2. How is radiation produced?

Radiation can be produced through various natural and man-made processes. Natural sources include the sun, radioactive materials in the earth, and cosmic rays. Man-made sources include nuclear power plants, X-ray machines, and radioisotopes used in medicine and industry.

3. Is all radiation harmful?

No, not all radiation is harmful. Some forms of radiation, such as visible light and radio waves, are considered non-ionizing and have lower energy levels that are not harmful to humans. However, exposure to high levels of ionizing radiation, such as nuclear radiation, can be dangerous and cause harm to living organisms.

4. How do we protect ourselves from radiation?

There are various ways to protect ourselves from radiation exposure. Some common methods include using shielding materials, maintaining distance from radiation sources, and limiting our exposure time. Proper safety protocols and regulations are also in place for industries that deal with high levels of radiation.

5. What are the potential risks associated with radiation exposure?

The potential risks of radiation exposure depend on various factors, such as the type of radiation, the dose received, and the length of exposure. High doses of ionizing radiation can cause acute radiation sickness, while prolonged exposure to lower doses can increase the risk of developing certain types of cancer. However, the risk of harm from radiation exposure is generally low in everyday situations and can be managed through proper safety measures.