Quantum Mechanics expectation value problem

How do these relate to the measurement values and probabilities for S_x?In summary, an electron in the spin state in the Sz representation can be represented by the matrix A (1-2i 2)^T. To find the values and probabilities of Sx, we first need to find the value of A, which is 1/3. Then, we can determine the matrix representation of Sx in the z-basis and find its eigenvalues and eigenvectors. These will correspond to the measurement values and probabilities for Sx.
rockstar101

Homework Statement

An electron is in the spin state in the Sz representation

|ψ> = A (1-2i 2)T <- this is a 2 X 1 matrix

If Sx is measured, what values and probabilities do you get?
What is the expectation value of Sx?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So first, I need to find what A equals to:

A^2 [ (1-2i)(1+2i)+ 4 ] = 1
thus A = 1/3

now, I need to know what values of Sx I would get and the probabilities to
proceed to find the expectation value.

What values of Sx would I get? could it be just +/- h-bar/2 ??
What would be the probabilities??

I would really appreciate any hint or help!

Physics news on Phys.org
rockstar101 said:

Homework Statement

An electron is in the spin state in the Sz representation

|ψ> = A (1-2i 2)T <- this is a 2 X 1 matrix

I assume you mean

[tex]|\psi\rangle=A\begin{pmatrix}1-2i&2\end{pmatrix}^T=A\begin{pmatrix}1-2i\\2\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

?

now, I need to know what values of Sx I would get and the probabilities to
proceed to find the expectation value.

What values of Sx would I get? could it be just +/- h-bar/2 ??
What would be the probabilities??

I would really appreciate any hint or help!

What is the matrix representation of [itex]S_x[/itex] in the z-basis? What are its eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

What is the expectation value in quantum mechanics?

The expectation value in quantum mechanics is a mathematical concept that represents the average value of a physical quantity in a given state. It is calculated by taking the inner product of the state with the operator representing the physical quantity.

Why is the expectation value important in quantum mechanics?

The expectation value is important in quantum mechanics because it provides a way to predict the outcome of measurements on a quantum system. It also allows us to make comparisons between different quantum states and determine the most likely outcome of an experiment.

How is the expectation value calculated in quantum mechanics?

The expectation value is calculated by taking the inner product of the state vector with the operator representing the physical quantity of interest. This inner product is then multiplied by the complex conjugate of the state vector and integrated over all possible values of the physical quantity.

What is the significance of the uncertainty principle in the expectation value problem?

The uncertainty principle states that there is a fundamental limit to the precision with which certain pairs of physical quantities, such as position and momentum, can be measured simultaneously. This means that the expectation value of these quantities cannot be known exactly, and there will always be some degree of uncertainty in their values.

How is the expectation value related to the wave function in quantum mechanics?

The expectation value is closely related to the wave function in quantum mechanics. The wave function represents the probability amplitude of finding a particle in a particular state, and the expectation value is a mathematical calculation based on the wave function that allows us to determine the most likely outcome of a measurement on that particle.