Finding the angle without a calculator (CA)

In summary, the conversation is about finding the solution to a complex number operation using Euler form, where a student is unsure of how to find the angle without a calculator and wonders if the given triangle is a special one to memorize. It is suggested to check with the professor before the exam.
PhysicsMark

Homework Statement

In my math class, we are not permitted to use a calculator. I am currently reviewing for a test and came across a small problem.

Perform the following operation using the Euler (polar) form for the complex numbers involved.

(1-3i)/i

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know of 2 ways to write the numerator in polar form. Both depend on knowing the argument, or angle.

1. (1-3i) = [tex]\sqrt{10}(cos{\theta}+i{sin{\theta}})[/tex]

2. (1-3i)= [tex]\sqrt{10}e^{i\theta}[/tex]

Performing the actual operation either in cartesian or Euler/polar form is not difficult for me. However I cannot think of how to find theta without a calculator.

Is the 1, 3, [tex]\sqrt{10}[/tex] triangle a special triangle that I should have memorized?

Like the 1, [tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex], 2 triangle with angle 60, or pi/3.

Physics news on Phys.org
The 1, 3, sqrt(10) triangle is NOT a special triangle that you are expected to have memorized. I wonder if there was a typo in your problem, and that maybe it should have been (1 - sqrt(3)i)/i.

Mark44 said:
The 1, 3, sqrt(10) triangle is NOT a special triangle that you are expected to have memorized. I wonder if there was a typo in your problem, and that maybe it should have been (1 - sqrt(3)i)/i.

It could have been a typo. I spoke with a few upperclassman who have taken the course and they recommended to leave it implicitly.

I guess tan^-1(3) will have to do. I'm going to speak with the professor before the exam. Thanks for confirming the memorization issue.

1. How do you find the angle without a calculator?

To find the angle without a calculator, you can use various methods such as using trigonometric ratios, the Pythagorean theorem, or geometric constructions. It will depend on the given information and the type of angle you are trying to find.

2. What is the Pythagorean theorem and how does it help in finding angles?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. This theorem can be used to find missing angles by using the inverse trigonometric functions.

3. Can you use trigonometric ratios to find angles without a calculator?

Yes, trigonometric ratios such as sine, cosine, and tangent can be used to find angles in a right triangle without a calculator. This method involves using a trigonometric table or memorizing common values for certain angles.

4. How can geometric constructions help in finding angles without a calculator?

Geometric constructions, such as drawing perpendicular lines or bisecting angles, can help in finding angles without a calculator. These constructions rely on basic geometric principles and can be done using a straight edge and compass.

5. Is it possible to find any angle without a calculator?

No, it is not possible to find any angle without a calculator. Some angles, such as 30 degrees or 45 degrees, have common values that can be easily found without a calculator. However, for more complex angles, a calculator may be necessary to find an accurate measurement.