Residual stress simulation on Ansys

In summary: There is no simple solution, and our answer will depend on what kind of residual stresses you're referring to.
weezy.darwin!
Hello,

Just wondering how the effect of residual stress on any structure can be shown on ANSYS, any information will be appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
By residual stress do you mean like unloaded stress from a part that has exceeded the yield strength?

If so, then you'll need to do an inelastic analysis by defining material properties using something like the Multilinear Kinematic model, and then performing the fully load analysis. Then, create an additional load step and remove the loads, and solve again.

If you mean residual stresses from a welding process, you need to model the weld beads (or weld "region") and do a thermal expansion/contraction analysis.

Basically there is no simple solution, and our answer will depend on what kind of residual stresses you're referring to.

oh okay, that's helpful. i really appreciate it.

Really i am generally looking into the "effect of residual stress on structural integrity", haven done the literature review and all, i was looking to back it up with a little not too complicated computer simulation to show this effects through ANSYS ...hope that explains it better.

Last edited:
Residual stress caused by what?

Residual stress caused by loading or reapeated loading leading to th material failure.

Ah, that's much better. Then the residual stress is due to stresses above yield strength of the material.

See my post above for an inelastic analysis. Typically, you will run one cycle, and examine the stresses/strains and look on LCF curves or the like to determine life.

minger said:
Ah, that's much better. Then the residual stress is due to stresses above yield strength of the material.

See my post above for an inelastic analysis. Typically, you will run one cycle, and examine the stresses/strains and look on LCF curves or the like to determine life.

Sorry for bumping this thread,but I've got a similar problem! I have a structure and did apply load in one loadstep, and the unloaded it in a second. The materialmodel is miso.
Is there some way to "export", or use, that deformed body with its res-stresses to an another Static structure analysis? I want to apply other boundery-conditions and some other loads.

Basically I first stamps/presses a steel plate, and then use that plat in an another construction, and I want to bring with the influence of the res-stresses and material hardening.

Best reg Henrik

Hi
I want to simulate residual stress caused by machining , in fact i need to simulate a planar residual stress.

thanks in advance.

How can I model weld residual stress for K-Joint Tubular Joints in ANSYS?

1. What is residual stress simulation and why is it important?

Residual stress simulation is the process of predicting and analyzing the internal stresses that remain in a material after it has been subjected to external loads or thermal cycling. This is important because residual stresses can significantly affect the performance and durability of a material or structure.

2. How is residual stress simulation performed in Ansys?

In Ansys, residual stress simulation is typically performed using the finite element method, where the material is divided into small elements and the stresses within each element are calculated. Ansys also has various tools and features specifically designed for residual stress simulation, such as the ANSYS Mechanical APDL and ANSYS Workbench.

3. What factors can cause residual stresses in a material?

Residual stresses can be caused by a variety of factors, including manufacturing processes (such as welding, casting, or machining), thermal gradients, and structural changes due to external loading. Material properties, such as thermal expansion and elastic modulus, can also contribute to the development of residual stresses.

4. Can residual stress simulation accurately predict the behavior of a material?

Residual stress simulation is a powerful tool for predicting the behavior of a material, but it is not without limitations. The accuracy of the simulation depends on the accuracy of the material properties and boundary conditions used, as well as the complexity of the model. It is important to validate the simulation results with experimental data to ensure its accuracy.

5. How can residual stress simulation results be interpreted and used in practical applications?

The results of residual stress simulation can provide valuable insights into the behavior and performance of a material or structure. These results can be used to optimize designs, predict failure points, and improve the durability and reliability of products. They can also aid in troubleshooting and identifying potential areas of concern in existing structures or components.