Difference between de Broglie waves and the normal waves which transfer energy?

In summary: But the wave model is just that, a model. The true nature of the particle is unknown, and the wave model doesn't really fit because the wave is infinite in extent, and it appears that the actual particle is very small, and doesn't really extend into infinity.In summary, a wave is a disturbance that travels through space and time, transferring energy from one point to another. In quantum mechanics, particles like electrons and photons can also be described as waves due to a phenomenon called wave-particle duality. This means that they can both exhibit wave-like
mishrashubham
Alright, as this wikipedia article states that, "A wave is a disturbance that travels through space and time, usually accompanied by the transfer of energy. Waves travel and the wave motion transfers energy from one point to another, often with no permanent displacement of the particles of the medium—that is, with little or no associated mass transport." So basically a wave transfers energy.

So what is the difference between these waves and de Broglie waves. Is "wave" used in a different sense in Quantum mechanics? When we say an electron acts as a wave (wave-particle duality), what exactly is oscillating in the electron?

Is there a stricter definition of "wave" in physics? And does it differ between classical and quantum physics?

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
(I don't know much about quantum mechanics, so my answers may not be correct)

Did you read the article completely?
Which type of wave are you referring to?
De-broglie wave is a matter wave and comprises of all the characters that a wave has. Its a type of wave. So you can't distinguish between a wave and a de-broglie wave.

Pranav-Arora said:
(I don't know much about quantum mechanics, so my answers may not be correct)

Did you read the article completely?
Which type of wave are you referring to?
De-broglie wave is a matter wave and comprises of all the characters that a wave has. Its a type of wave. So you can't distinguish between a wave and a de-broglie wave.

The way I understand it, a wave is characterised by the periodic change of some specific property of a point in space over time. For example, an ripple on the surface of water can be called a wave because the distance between a specific point in space within the volume of the water body and any given water molecule is changing periodically, varying between a maximum and a minimum value. Similarly, an electromagnetic wave is a wave because at any point in space through which the ray passes, the intensity of the electric and magnetic field vectors periodically change or oscillate.

So my question is, if we consider a particle a wave, what is it in that particle, that oscillates or changes periodically with time? In addition, does wave mean something else or is it different from what I have in mind in the above paragraph, in Quantum Physics?

Pranav-Arora said:
I ain't sure that this would help you:-:smile:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/uncer.html#c5

I have seen that page (hyperphysics is often the first place to visit for such things). The question asked is pretty much the one I asked as well, however I didn't get a satisfactory answer. Thanks for the help anyways.

Pranav-Arora said:
(btw, do you know how to solve schrodinger equation? and i don't think quantum mechanics is in our 11th standard books? (i am not sure) )

Nah, quantum mechanics is beyond the scope of our syllabus. It requires understanding of certain mathematics which unfortunately I am not well versed with.

*bump*

mishrashubham said:
Alright, as this wikipedia article states that, "A wave is a disturbance that travels through space and time, usually accompanied by the transfer of energy. Waves travel and the wave motion transfers energy from one point to another, often with no permanent displacement of the particles of the medium—that is, with little or no associated mass transport." So basically a wave transfers energy.

So what is the difference between these waves and de Broglie waves. Is "wave" used in a different sense in Quantum mechanics? When we say an electron acts as a wave (wave-particle duality), what exactly is oscillating in the electron?

Is there a stricter definition of "wave" in physics? And does it differ between classical and quantum physics?

Thank You

A de Broglie wave is associated with something we usually think of as a moving particle that has mass - an electron or a neutron, for example. We have no problem thinking of a moving particle as something having energy and momentum, and therefore able to transfer energy and momentum. A photon is usually thought of as a wave, but despite having zero mass it it can also be thought of as a moving particle, having energy and momentum and therefore able to transfer energy and momentum. So, in both cases, you can think of energy as being transferred by a wave.

JeffKoch said:
A de Broglie wave is associated with something we usually think of as a moving particle that has mass - an electron or a neutron, for example. We have no problem thinking of a moving particle as something having energy and momentum, and therefore able to transfer energy and momentum. A photon is usually thought of as a wave, but despite having zero mass it it can also be thought of as a moving particle, having energy and momentum and therefore able to transfer energy and momentum. So, in both cases, you can think of energy as being transferred by a wave.

Thanks for the reply.
So what physical significance does the de Broglie wavelength of a massive particle have? Is it actually length that we are measuring (just like in EM radiation) or is it something else?

mishrashubham said:
Thanks for the reply.
So what physical significance does the de Broglie wavelength of a massive particle have? Is it actually length that we are measuring (just like in EM radiation) or is it something else?

Yes, it's a wavelength - you can measure it with a classical slit experiment, or by diffraction off a crystal. The "waving" is the wavefunction solution to Schroedinger's equation for a free particle, which you can use to calculate expectation values in the usual way.

The best way to consider this is to think of energy as a series of balls and sticks that are all connected, that way the wave or particle become irrelevant or trivial to the model.

At no point in space is energy 0 and the wave is infinite essentially.

de Broglie wave is associated with something we usually think of as a moving particle that has mass - an electron or a neutron, for example. We have no problem thinking of a moving particle as something having energy and momentum, and therefore able to transfer energy and momentum. A photon is usually thought of as a wave, but despite having zero mass it it can also be thought of as a moving particle, having energy and momentum and therefore able to transfer energy and momentum. So, in both cases, you can think of energy as being transferred by a wave.

http://www.upscale.utoronto.ca/PVB/Harrison/DoubleSlit/DoubleSlit.html

water4.gif

water2.gif

gun2.gif

1. What is the difference between de Broglie waves and normal waves?

De Broglie waves, also known as matter waves, are a type of wave that describes the behavior of particles at the quantum level. Normal waves, on the other hand, refer to any type of wave that transfers energy through a medium, such as sound waves or electromagnetic waves.

2. How do de Broglie waves and normal waves transfer energy?

De Broglie waves transfer energy through the movement of particles, while normal waves transfer energy through the oscillation of the medium they are traveling through.

3. Can de Broglie waves and normal waves be observed?

De Broglie waves are difficult to observe directly, but their effects can be seen in experiments such as the double-slit experiment. Normal waves, however, can be observed directly through various instruments and devices.

4. Do de Broglie waves and normal waves have the same properties?

While both types of waves have properties such as wavelength and frequency, de Broglie waves also have a unique property called wave-particle duality, which allows particles to exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior.

5. How are de Broglie waves and normal waves related?

De Broglie waves are a specific type of wave that falls under the broader category of normal waves. They both follow similar mathematical principles, such as the wave equation, but have different applications and behaviors.