Question about element of and subset symbols

In summary, the symbol ∈ is used to represent an element of a set, while the symbol \subseteq is used to represent a subset of a set. When discussing sets containing the empty set, both \subseteq and ∈ can be used, as the empty set is both an element and a subset of any set.
fishingspree2
Question about "element of" and "subset" symbols

I've always thought that ∈ is defined when talking about elements in a set. For example, if A is a set and x is an element, then x ∈ A is defined. It wouldn't make sense to say x [itex]\subseteq[/itex] A

In the same way, if A and B are sets and A is contained in B, then it is incorrect to say A ∈ B. We should use A[itex]\subseteq[/itex] B.

Question is: say a set which contains the empty set: {Ø}
I would think we should write Ø [itex]\subseteq[/itex] {Ø} because Ø is a set itself.
But at the same time Ø ∈ {Ø} looks like it could also make sense... I am slightly confused.

Can anyone shed some light on the matter? Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org

fishingspree2 said:

You go to the trouble of distinguishing between "element of" and "subset of" and then you use the ambiguous term "contains". Tisk, tisk.

Specifically, fishingspree2, you are being ambiguous when you say "if A and B are sets and A is contained in B" without distinguishing the two meanings of "contained in". In "naive set theory" it is perfectly possible to have a set whose members are sets. Given that [itex]\{\Phi\}[/itex] is the set whose only member is the empty set, it is correct to say that the empty set is a member of that set. And, since the empty set is a subset of any set, both [itex]\Phi\subset \{\Phi\}[/itex] and [itex]\Phi\in\{\Phi\}[/itex] are both valid.

In set theory every element of a set is a set. There are no mathematical objects but sets in set theory.

fishingspree2 said:
I've always thought that ∈ is defined when talking about elements in a set. For example, if A is a set and x is an element, then x ∈ A is defined. It wouldn't make sense to say x [itex]\subseteq[/itex] A

In the same way, if A and B are sets and A is contained in B, then it is incorrect to say A ∈ B. We should use A[itex]\subseteq[/itex] B.

I would think we should write Ø [itex]\subseteq[/itex] {Ø} because Ø is a set itself.
But at the same time Ø ∈ {Ø} looks like it could also make sense... I am slightly confused.

Can anyone shed some light on the matter? Thank you very much.

Both are true, in the one case,
[tex] x \mbox{ is a set} \Rightarrow ( \emptyset \subseteq x) [/tex]
and the other,
[tex] x \in \{ \emptyset \} \Leftrightarrow x = \emptyset [/tex].

What is an element in science?

An element is a pure substance that cannot be broken down into simpler substances by chemical means. It is composed of atoms with the same number of protons in their nucleus, leading to similar chemical and physical properties.

What does the symbol of an element represent?

The symbol of an element represents a shorthand way of writing the name of the element. It is typically one or two letters, either based on the element's English name or its Latin name.

What is a subset in science?

In science, a subset refers to a smaller group or category within a larger set. It is a group of elements or objects that share common characteristics or properties.

What do the symbols in a subset represent?

The symbols in a subset represent the individual elements or objects within the subset. They are typically used to differentiate between different elements or objects within a larger set.

How is the subset of elements determined?

The subset of elements is determined by their shared properties or characteristics. Scientists use various methods, such as chemical and physical properties, to group elements into subsets based on their similarities and differences.