Thermodynamics question. In Dewar flask liquid nitrogen.

In summary, the problem is to calculate the time it takes for nitrogen to evaporate in a dewar flask at a temperature of 293K. Given data includes the boiling point temperatures and heat of evaporations for hydrogen and nitrogen. Using the formula k(T-TN2) t = LN2m, where m is the mass of the substance and k is a constant, the estimated time for nitrogen to evaporate is 2022 seconds or about 33.7 minutes per kilogram. However, it should be noted that the question does not specify the mass of nitrogen evaporating, so the answer may vary.
AudriusR

Homework Statement

The problem is that we need to calculate, how much time it takes for nitrogen to evaporate.
Given data: dewar flask is in a room, where is T= 293K temperature; In such flask m=0,2 kg of Hydrogen would evaporate in t= 3600s. Also there is given boiling point temperatures for Hydrogen and Nitrogen TH2= 20,4K ; TN2= 77,3K
Heat of evaporations for both are : LH2= 4,5 x 105 J/kg
LN2=2 x 105 J/kg

Homework Equations

I don't really know how to do it. Dewar flask don't allow to lose the heat, so no external loss Q=0 J
I found only one way to find the answer, but I think it's not possible. I used this formula -

k(T-T') t = Lm

The Attempt at a Solution

k(T-TH2) t = LH2m
k(T-TN2) t' = LN2m
So t' would be t'= LN2 ( T-TH2) t / ( LH2 (T-TN2))

And I would get the answer of 2022 seconds or about 33,7 minutes

I'm waiting for your opinion and attempt for the answer. :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, AudriusR! :smile:

You're reasoning looks fine.

Only one note.
Your question does not seem to say how much mass of nitrogen is evaporating.
Your answer assumes it is also 0.2 kg.
But perhaps you should give an answer in seconds per kilogram.

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, work, temperature, and energy. It explains how energy is transferred and transformed in different systems, such as in engines or refrigerators.

2. How does a Dewar flask work?

A Dewar flask, also known as a vacuum flask, works by creating a vacuum between two layers of glass or metal. This vacuum minimizes heat transfer, making it an effective container for storing and transporting substances at extremely low temperatures, such as liquid nitrogen.

3. What is the purpose of using liquid nitrogen in a Dewar flask?

Liquid nitrogen is commonly used in Dewar flasks because it has a very low boiling point of -196°C, making it ideal for storing and transporting substances at extremely low temperatures. It is also used in various scientific and industrial applications, such as cryopreservation and cooling of sensitive materials.

4. Can liquid nitrogen escape from a Dewar flask?

While a Dewar flask is designed to minimize heat transfer, it is not completely insulated and some amount of liquid nitrogen may evaporate over time. However, the rate of evaporation is very slow and can be further reduced by using a well-insulated Dewar flask and keeping it upright at all times.

5. Is it safe to handle liquid nitrogen in a Dewar flask?

Although liquid nitrogen can cause severe burns if it comes into contact with skin, using a properly designed and insulated Dewar flask reduces the risk of injury. However, it is important to handle liquid nitrogen with caution and follow proper safety protocols when using it in experiments or other applications.