Is f(x) Constant Based on Given Derivative and Inequality?

• Thread starter Jamin2112
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constant
In summary: I think I'm done.In summary, the author showed that if f is differentiable for every x>0, then f'(x) does not tend to 0 as x approaches infinity.
Jamin2112

Homework Statement

(I don't have my book with me, so this may not be the correct word-for-word representation of the exercise)

Suppose f(x) is differentiable on the whole real line. Show that f(x) is constant if for all real numbers x and y,

|f(x)-f(y)| ≤ (x-y)2.​

Homework Equations

Definition of a derivative

The Attempt at a Solution

f(x)-f(y) ≤ |f(x)-f(y)|, so by basic algebra we have [f(x)-f(y)]/(x-y) ≤ x - y. Letting x approach y on both sides of the inequality yields f '(x) ≤ 0.

... Now I somehow need to show that f '(x) ≥ 0. Ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try using that:

|f(x)-f(y)| ≤ (x-y)2 = |x-y| |x-y|

I like Serena said:
Try using that:

|f(x)-f(y)| ≤ (x-y)2 = |x-y| |x-y|

0 ≤ |f(x)-f(y)| ≤ (x-y)2 = |x-y| |x-y|

----> 0 ≤ |f(x)-f(y)| / |x-y| ≤ |x-y|
----> f '(x) = 0 by the Squeeze Theorem

My book uses limt→x (f(t)-f(x))/(t-x) for f '(x), which I guess is equivalent to limt→x |f(t)-f(x)|/|t-x|.

Yep. :)

The latter limit is actually |f'(x)|.

You actually do not need to use calculus to prove this result! In particular, fix x0,y0 and set δ = (y0-x0)n-1. Then we have:

|f(y0)-f(x0)| ≤ Ʃ|f(x0+iδ)-f(x0+(i-1)δ)| ≤ Ʃn-2 ≤ n-1

Since our choice of n was arbitrary, this forces |f(y0)-f(x0)| = 0, or equivalently f(y0) = f(x0).

Last edited:
I like Serena said:
Yep. :)

The latter limit is actually |f'(x)|.

But I need to show that f '(x) = 0.

Wut do?

^ Your work is fine.

Jamin2112 said:
But I need to show that f '(x) = 0.

Wut do?

Indeed. You're work is fine.

You showed that |f'(x)|=0 which implies that f'(x)=0.

I like Serena said:
Indeed. You're work is fine.

You showed that |f'(x)|=0 which implies that f'(x)=0.

Thanks so much! I have another question.

Suppose f is defined and differentiable for every x > 0, and f '(x) → 0 as x → +∞. Put g(x) = f(x+1) - f(x). Prove that g(x) → 0 as x → +∞.

That g(x) → 0 as x → +∞ is quite obvious, and its proof should be too.

Attempt: Fix ε > 0. We seek a positive real number x' such that |f(x+1) - f(x)| < ε whenever x ≥ x'.

I also know that for any ∂ > 0 there exists a x* such that | limt→x (f(t) - f(x)) / (t-x) | < ∂ whenever x ≥ x*.

Where to go from here, I know not. Hint?

Jamin2112 said:
Thanks so much! I have another question.

Suppose f is defined and differentiable for every x > 0, and f '(x) → 0 as x → +∞. Put g(x) = f(x+1) - f(x). Prove that g(x) → 0 as x → +∞.

That g(x) → 0 as x → +∞ is quite obvious, and its proof should be too.

Attempt: Fix ε > 0. We seek a positive real number x' such that |f(x+1) - f(x)| < ε whenever x ≥ x'.

I also know that for any ∂ > 0 there exists a x* such that | limt→x (f(t) - f(x)) / (t-x) | < ∂ whenever x ≥ x*.

Where to go from here, I know not. Hint?

Try thinking about doing a proof by contradiction. Suppose g(x) does NOT go to zero. Can you use that to prove f'(x) does NOT go to zero?

The Mean value theorem states that for every interval [a,b] there is a value c in the interval (a,b) such that:
[tex]f'(c)={f(b)-f(a) \over b-a}[/tex]
assuming f is differentiable.

Perhaps you can use that?

Dick said:
Try thinking about doing a proof by contradiction. Suppose g(x) does NOT go to zero. Can you use that to prove f'(x) does NOT go to zero?

Suppose g(x) does not approach 0 as x approaches ∞. Then there exists ε > 0 such that if x is any positive real number, there is another positive real number x' such that x' > x and g(x) = f(x+1) - f(x) ≥ ε. Using what I like Serena (Serena Williams?) said, there exists a point σ in (x, x+1) such f '(σ) = (f(x+1) - f(x)) / (x+1 - x) = f(x+1) - f(x).

Am I almost there? Is the final step glaring me in the face? I need to go watch John Stossel for an hour, then I'll be back.

Jamin2112 said:
Suppose g(x) does not approach 0 as x approaches ∞. Then there exists ε > 0 such that if x is any positive real number, there is another positive real number x' such that x' > x and g(x) = f(x+1) - f(x) ≥ ε. Using what I like Serena (Serena Williams?) said, there exists a point σ in (x, x+1) such f '(σ) = (f(x+1) - f(x)) / (x+1 - x) = f(x+1) - f(x).

Am I almost there? Is the final step glaring me in the face? I need to go watch John Stossel for an hour, then I'll be back.

If you'll agree that means |f'(sigma)|>=epsilon for arbitrarily large values of sigma, I think that would rule out f'(x) approaching 0 as x->infinity, wouldn't it? Let us know when you are back from Stossel. And I really can't condone watching Fox News. May hurt your mathematical skills.

Last edited:
Dick said:
And I really can't condone watching Fox News.

You're silly. John Stossel is on Fox Business Network.

And yes, the proof by contradiction seems to have worked out. I'll hit you guys up with s'more questions later.

New Question:Suppose
(a) f is continuous for x ≥ 0,
(b) f'(x) exists for x > 0,
(c) f(0) = 0,
(d) f' is monotonically increasing.
Put
g(x) = f(x) / x (x > 0)​
and prove that g is monotonically increasing.

Proof (Attempt). By Theorem 5.11(a), it suffices to show that g'(x) ≥ 0 for all x > 0. By Theorem 5.3(c),

g'(x) = [x * f'(x) - f(x) * x'] / x2 = f'(x)/x - f'(x)/x2,​

so we need to show that

f'(x)/x - f'(x)/x2 ≥ 0 for all x > 0,​

or equivalently

f'(x) ≥ f(x)/x for all x > 0.​
I'm a little stuck now. None of theorems that I invoked require that f be continuous anywhere [though of course differentiability implies continuity, so without (a) I'd still know that f is continuous on (a, b)]. I'm sure the next step has something to do with the continuity of f. Any suggestions?

Again the Mean value theorem can come to the rescue.
Can you apply it to f(x)/x?

Btw, the specific conditions like continuity at the boundary, are preconditions to the use of the theorem.
(Perhaps you should check those in the wikipedia article to get your proof complete.)

Last edited:
I like Serena said:
Btw, the specific conditions like continuity at the boundary, are preconditions to the use of the theorem.
(Perhaps you should check those in the wikipedia article to get your proof complete.)

That's why I'm skeptical about the following proof (which I found on the internet): it invokes the Mean Value Theorem without the precondition of continuity at the boundary. What's the deal?

screen-capture-4-20.png

It is applicable in this case.
Since f is differentiable on (a,b), it is also continuous on (a,b).

Now consider the interval [x,y], which is a sub interval of (a,b).
It meets all conditions of the Mean value theorem.

I like Serena said:
It is applicable in this case.
Since f is differentiable on (a,b), it is also continuous on (a,b).

Now consider the interval [x,y], which is a sub interval of (a,b).
It meets all conditions of the Mean value theorem.

Ah, I see. Thanks so much for the clarification.

Tell me if this is a good thorough proof. My professor is very stingy, so I can't be as willy-nilly as the other proof above.

screen-capture-58.png

Jamin2112 said:
Tell me if this is a good thorough proof. My professor is very stingy, so I can't be as willy-nilly as the other proof above.

Even if your professor is stingy, the first part of your proof has more information than you need. For example, instead of "then f is differentiable on (x,z) and continuous on [x,z]" you can just say "then f is differentiable on [x,z]". This can make the first part of your proof a little more tidy.

The second proof is just wrong. If xn = x for all n in N, then what you wrote is just nonsense. Unlike continuity, there is not really a nice definition of differentiability in terms of convergent sequences. You are better off noting that g:im(f)→(a,b) so every element in the domain of g can be written in the form f(x) for some x in (a,b). Then just write out the criterion for differentiability of g and show that the resulting limit is 1/f'(x).

Hmm, overall it looks good, but I see a few notational issues.
Since you're asking me to nitpick, I will.The problem statement is missing.
In particular I miss the definition of f and that f'(x) > 0 for x in (a,b).

You should write f(z) - f(x) instead of f(z) - f(z).

You should include the condition that for all n: ##x_n \ne x##, otherwise you get divisions by zero.

There should also be mention that ##f(x_n) - f(x)## can not be zero, otherwise you could get a division by zero.

I'm not familiar with the notation ##\lim_{x_n \to x}## although I guess it's not wrong.
I am used to writing ##\lim\limits_{n \to \infty}##.

You did not define g, which you should.
Apparently g is supposed to be the inverse of f, which also requires f to be invertible.

You should write ##1 \over f'(x)## instead of ##1 \over g'(x)##.Otherwise it looks fine to me! :smile:

Last edited:
jgens said:
Even if your professor is stingy, the first part of your proof has more information than you need. For example, instead of "then f is differentiable on (x,z) and continuous on [x,z]" you can just say "then f is differentiable on [x,z]". This can make the first part of your proof a little more tidy.

The second proof is just wrong. If xn = x for all n in N, then what you wrote is just nonsense. Unlike continuity, there is not really a nice definition of differentiability in terms of convergent sequences. You are better off noting that g:im(f)→(a,b) so every element in the domain of g can be written in the form f(x) for some x in (a,b). Then just write out the criterion for differentiability of g and show that the resulting limit is 1/f'(x).

Your point has been duly noted.

I like Serena said:
Hmm, overall it looks good, but I see a few notational issues.
Since you're asking me to nitpick, I will.

The problem statement is missing.
In particular I miss the definition of f and that f'(x) > 0 for x in (a,b).

You should write f(z) - f(x) instead of f(z) - f(z).

You should include the condition that for all n: ##x_n \ne x##, otherwise you get divisions by zero.

There should also be mention that ##f(x_n) - f(x)## can not be zero, otherwise you could get a division by zero.

I'm not familiar with the notation ##\lim_{x_n \to x}##.
I am used to writing ##\lim\limits_{n \to \infty}##.

You did not define g, which you should.
Apparently g is supposed to be the inverse of f, which also requires f to be invertible.

You should write ##1 \over f'(x)## instead of ##1 \over g'(x)##.

Otherwise it looks fine to me! :smile:

I don't know how to write "lim" with "xn → x" below on Microsoft Word's equation editor. And now I understand why my book has 0<|x-y|<∂ in the definition of continuity; I always assumed the "0<" part was irrelevant.

Let me know what you think about the next problem.

Ex. 3. Suppose g is a real function on ℝ, with bounded derivative (say |g'|≤M). Fix ε>0, and define f(x) = x + εg'(x). Prove that f is one-to-one if ε is small enough.

Attempt:

screen-capture-2-28.png

Jamin2112 said:
I don't know how to write "lim" with "xn → x" below on Microsoft Word's equation editor. And now I understand why my book has 0<|x-y|<∂ in the definition of continuity; I always assumed the "0<" part was irrelevant.

Perhaps you could try lim from {n rightarrow infty}?

Yes, that is one reason for 0<|x-y|<δ, which is necessary for derivatives.

In the case of a regular limit there is another reason though.
It is possible that the limit of a function is not equal to the function value in that point.
However, in that case the limit still exists.
So the definition of a limit in general requires that 0<|x-y|<δ.

I like Serena said:
Perhaps you could try lim from {n rightarrow infty}?Yes, that is one reason for 0<|x-y|<δ, which is necessary for derivatives.

In the case of a regular limit there is another reason though.
It is possible that the limit of a function is not equal to the function value in that point.
However, in that case the limit still exists.
So the definition of a limit in general requires that 0<|x-y|<δ.
Did you like how I used the world "thereupon"? I get sick of using "consequently", so I went to the Thesaurus to find a cool synonym.

Jamin2112 said:
Did you like how I used the world "thereupon"? I get sick of using "consequently", so I went to the Thesaurus to find a cool synonym.

I noticed the word and I had to smile. :)
What about "therefore" or "yields"?

I have to warn you though, English is not my native language, so I don't know what is proper.
I'd like to think that I'm better at math than at language. :wink:

Jamin2112 said:

Homework Statement

(I don't have my book with me, so this may not be the correct word-for-word representation of the exercise)

Suppose f(x) is differentiable on the whole real line. Show that f(x) is constant if for all real numbers x and y,

|f(x)-f(y)| ≤ (x-y)2.​

Homework Equations

Definition of a derivative

The Attempt at a Solution

f(x)-f(y) ≤ |f(x)-f(y)|, so by basic algebra we have [f(x)-f(y)]/(x-y) ≤ x - y. Letting x approach y on both sides of the inequality yields f '(x) ≤ 0.

... Now I somehow need to show that f '(x) ≥ 0. Ideas?

I'm somehow not convinced that that represents f'(x) why not f'(y) since writing x as [tex] y+Δy [/tex] allows the Newton's quotient to be f'(y).

i.e. [tex] lim_ {\delta y->0}\frac {f(y+\triangle y)-f(y)}{y+\triangle y -y}≤ \triangle y[/tex]

I like Serena said:
Again the Mean value theorem can come to the rescue.
Can you apply it to f(x)/x?

Choose y such that 0 < y < ∞. The function f(y)/y is continuous on [0, y] and differentiable on (0, y), so there exists an x in (0, y) such that (f(x)/x)' = [f(y) - f(0)]/[y - 0] = f(y) / y. Am I close?

HACR said:
I'm somehow not convinced that that represents f'(x) why not f'(y) since writing x as [tex] y+Δy [/tex] allows the Newton's quotient to be f'(y).

i.e. [tex] lim_ {\delta y->0}\frac {f(y+\triangle y)-f(y)}{y+\triangle y -y}≤ \triangle y[/tex]

I worked out all the kinks. Don't worry.

screen-capture-59.png

Jamin2112 said:
Choose y such that 0 < y < ∞. The function f(y)/y is continuous on [0, y] and differentiable on (0, y), so there exists an x in (0, y) such that (f(x)/x)' = [f(y) - f(0)]/[y - 0] = f(y) / y. Am I close?

Close yes. :smile:
It should be: f'(x) = [f(y) - f(0)]/[y - 0] = f(y) / y

I like Serena said:
Close yes. :smile:
It should be: f'(x) = [f(y) - f(0)]/[y - 0] = f(y) / y

Got it.

Choose x with 0 < x < ∞. The function f is continuous on [0, x] and differential on (0, x). Thus, by the Mean Value Theorem, this exists an x0 with 0 < x0 < x and

f(x) = f(x) - f(0) = f '(x0) * (x - 0) = x * f '(x0).

Because f ' is monotonically increasing and x > 0, we have x * f '(x0) ≤ x * f '(x) and accordingly x * f '(x) ≥ f(x), as desired.

http://collegestudybreak.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/success.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Is it possible for f(x) to be constant if the given derivative is not equal to 0?

Yes, it is possible for f(x) to be constant even if the given derivative is not equal to 0. This can happen if the given inequality is satisfied, meaning that the derivative is either always positive or always negative, resulting in a constant function.

2. Can f(x) be constant if the given inequality is not satisfied?

No, if the given inequality is not satisfied, then f(x) cannot be constant. This is because the derivative will have both positive and negative values, meaning that the function is not constant and is changing over the given interval.

3. How do I determine if f(x) is constant based on the given derivative and inequality?

You can determine if f(x) is constant by checking if the given derivative is equal to 0 and if the given inequality is satisfied. If both conditions are met, then f(x) is constant. If either condition is not met, then f(x) is not constant.

4. Can f(x) be constant if the given derivative is equal to 0 but the inequality is not specified?

Yes, f(x) can still be constant if the given derivative is equal to 0, even if the inequality is not specified. This is because if the derivative is equal to 0, then the function is not changing and remains constant regardless of the inequality.

5. Is it possible for f(x) to be constant if both the given derivative and inequality are not specified?

Yes, it is possible for f(x) to be constant if both the given derivative and inequality are not specified. In this case, the function can be any constant value, as there is no information given about its behavior.