Need advice for retaking a class

In summary, the speaker is struggling with a D grade in their Differential Equations class and is considering retaking the course. They are concerned about how this grade will affect their chances for graduate school and are seeking advice from others. Suggestions include taking related courses and learning computer programming to improve computational skills. The speaker is also warned about the potential impact of a second grade on their transcript.
LonelyBravura
hello guys!

This semester I was ruthlessly gutted in my Differential Equations class and it has been stressing me severely. I shamefully made a D in the class...

I know this is my fault, but at the same time I feel as though the professor teaching it had much to do with it also. He was extremely intent on making the class into a "do all the questions on a computer" type of class. It involved much much coding and doing the work by hand would net me half credit. The assignments that required hand work only I received 90+% every time.

I have worked through the book and made sure I am able to perform the practice problems and some of the word problems correctly, but this grade in the class still looms heavily over me.

Basically, I want to retake the class, but due to my tight schedule this would potentially endanger me from graduating on time next year (I am currently a Junior going into the Spring semester). However, here is my schedule for next semester:

• Analytical Mechanics
    Astrophysics
    Langauge Class
    Abstract Algebra

The first two use Differential Equations in the class. Instead, do you guys think that acing those two classes requiring DE would "forgive" my D grade? Or should I find the time to take it over the Summer? Summer is also an issue because I am to do research for about 10 weeks at another school and I am uncertain if I can take a class on the side.

This is mainly with concern to graduate school admissions.

Physics news on Phys.org
And if you do poorly in those two classes because you didn't have a solid background, you'll really be up the creek, no?

Yes but so far I don't think I will have much of an issue right away. I've previewed the chapters and the mathematics do not feel foreign to me

Better check your school's policy on retaking classes, and also consider the policy of the graduate school. My school, if you retake a class, both grades will show on your transcript. So even if you pass with an A the second time, the transcript will show a D, and an A, and both will potentially count towards your GPA.

Calculating a GPA for a repeated class also varies by school. They may only count the first time towards your GPA and ignore the second grade entirely. They may also average the two. So a D + A averages to a C+?

If you have all A's except for this class, and you have a good understanding of the material such that you can move on to the next class without difficulty, might be best just to ignore it and move on with your life.

I'm in the same boat you were. Got a D in differential equations. At my school, a C- is passing - not a D. Frankly, I would retake the course. You need to learn how to use computers to solve problems. On the bright side, it gives you another semester to take a few more classes that you wouldn't ordinarily have had time to take ... maybe even grad school classes.

Vanadium 50 said:
And if you do poorly in those two classes because you didn't have a solid background, you'll really be up the creek, no?

Angry Citizen said:
I'm in the same boat you were. Got a D in differential equations. At my school, a C- is passing - not a D. Frankly, I would retake the course. You need to learn how to use computers to solve problems. On the bright side, it gives you another semester to take a few more classes that you wouldn't ordinarily have had time to take ... maybe even grad school classes.

Sound suggestions.

Even if you're not taking grad-level courses, spreading out your courses a little could help you out. Or, you could take some other courses you're interested in. :)
You could try learn some of the computational stuff over the summer, before you retake the course?

Thank you all for the replies!

I think next semester I'll drop my abstract algebra class for an intro computer programming class specifically catering to math and science majors. I'm not fully sure if Angry Citizen is saying to retake DE or not though.

I have another question though, assuming I find no possible way to make up this grade, how much would grad schools admissions scrutinize the D grade? What about Math classes in general?

I was suggesting you retake the course, yes:

Frankly, I would retake the course.

I've never been on a grad school's admissions board, but if you retake differential equations and get an A, and if that A shows up on your transcript, then they'll think you had a bad semester and bounced back beautifully. It's a risk though; if you retake the class and get a C, then I imagine they'll think, "This dude can't do ODE's. Mucho bad in physics."

stuff happens, it isn't the end of the world. i think an important lesson is learning how to do work using a computer to solve computational problems. in research, grad school, and the real world, being able to do this could prove to be a big deal, depending on what you end up doing.

1. How do I know if I need to retake a class?

You may need to retake a class if you received a failing grade or if you did not meet the minimum grade requirements for your degree program. It is also a good idea to retake a class if you struggled with the material and need a better understanding for future courses.

2. Can I retake a class for a better grade?

Yes, you can retake a class for a better grade. However, the grades from both attempts will typically appear on your transcript. Some schools may have policies in place that allow you to replace the original grade with the new one, so be sure to check with your academic advisor or school policies.

3. How many times can I retake a class?

This depends on your school's policies. Some schools may allow you to retake a class multiple times, while others may have a limit on the number of attempts. It is important to check with your academic advisor to understand the policies at your specific school.

4. Will retaking a class affect my GPA?

Yes, retaking a class will typically affect your GPA. If your school allows you to replace the original grade with the new one, then your GPA may improve. However, if both grades appear on your transcript, then your GPA may be negatively impacted if the new grade is lower than the original.

5. How can I be successful when retaking a class?

To be successful when retaking a class, it is important to identify why you struggled the first time and make a plan to improve. This may include attending all class sessions, seeking help from the professor or tutoring services, and actively participating in class discussions and assignments. It is also important to stay organized and on top of assignments and studying to ensure a better understanding of the material.