12,000 year old megalith circles turn knowledge of ancient humans upside down

In summary, this is an incredibly significant discovery that challenges our understanding of human development.
Dotini said:
I recall reading in at least two places that the inner rings, once encircled, were entered by a ladder from the roof - or open top, as it were.

Equally if not even more shocking to our modern sensibilities, I think most if not all the apartments at the later, full-bore city site of Catal Huyuk were entered in the same odd manner, from above. Like you, I am fascinated by this ancient culture, but not in any hurry to change places with them. There were working to a very strict plan. One with little thought for convenience, it would seem. Although the outer galleries of the rings might be decent places to store food.

Respectfully,
Steve
Now that you mention the ladder, I recall that the Hopi have a ceremonial structure that can only be entered the same way.

You're right that, once you step outside your own culture and times there's no telling what easily cured inconveniences other people take for granted and perpetuate with no thought of changing them.

Science news on Phys.org
zoobyshoe said:
Looking at this I am suddenly surprised to realize there is no way into the center. If you walk in through the very narrow entrance you are required to go left or right around a circle, or, into the completely mysterious dead end on the right, but there is no way into the center.
Bizarre. if the drawing is accurate, it appears you can't really go right either as you are blocked where the first inner wall starts.

It doesn't look like people could even see into the center by standing on the lower part of the outer wall that juts out.
In the documentary they showed a portal in one side of an outer wall carved from a single stone block, so they had the knowledge and abilty to have entries. So this might mean that the inner completely walled section might be for storage of something that wouldn't allow a door?

Evo said:
Bizarre. if the drawing is accurate, it appears you can't really go right either as you are blocked where the first inner wall starts.
You're right! I didn't notice that blocking wall in the shadow.
In the documentary they showed a portal in one side of an outer wall carved from a single stone block, so they had the knowledge and abilty to have entries. So this might mean that the inner completely walled section might be for storage of something that wouldn't allow a door?
I can't make heads or tails of it: you have this long, dramatic entrance corridor, that was not any easier to build than any other part of it, but which seems to lead no where important.

PJ524 said:
This is a common misconception, but the notion that medievals thought the Earth was flat is a modern American myth. The anti-clerical Washington Irving, among others, perpetuated this myth as an attack on the "idiocy" of the organized religion.
Sorry to keep a little off topic, but I always heard that sailors knew well the Earth was curved because a ship coming over the horizon can be seen first by the tip of its sail, and then the rest comes up into view.

zoobyshoe said:
Assuming the models are more or less accurate, they show how 'un-geometric' these things were. The layout has a Hundertwasser feel to it, naive and childlike:

http://www.masterworksfineart.com/inventory/hundertwasser/

That's an intriguing observation but isn't it very culturally conditioned? To me, it seems the introduction of geometry into art fairly well destroys the subtle aspects of art. Especially in music, geometry forces too much predictability and gives art a sterile, formal and inhuman, inorganic structure. Artistic masters often use pattern or small pieces of pattern combined in ways that are somehow integrated in a larger sense to produce masterpieces.

<h2>1. What are megalith circles?</h2><p>Megalith circles are large, ancient structures made of standing stones that were constructed by humans thousands of years ago. These stones are often arranged in a circular or oval shape and can range in size from a few meters to hundreds of meters in diameter.</p><h2>2. How old are these megalith circles?</h2><p>The megalith circles discussed in this article are estimated to be around 12,000 years old, making them some of the oldest known human-made structures in the world.</p><h2>3. How were these megalith circles constructed?</h2><p>The construction methods of these megalith circles are still somewhat of a mystery. However, it is believed that the stones were moved and arranged using a combination of tools, man-power, and advanced engineering techniques.</p><h2>4. What do these megalith circles tell us about ancient humans?</h2><p>The existence of these megalith circles challenges our previous assumptions about the capabilities and knowledge of ancient humans. It suggests that they were more advanced and organized than previously thought, with the ability to plan and construct these impressive structures.</p><h2>5. How does this discovery change our understanding of human history?</h2><p>This discovery challenges the traditional narrative of human history and forces us to reconsider the timeline of human development. It also raises questions about the cultural and technological evolution of early human societies and the extent of their knowledge and capabilities.</p>

1. What are megalith circles?

Megalith circles are large, ancient structures made of standing stones that were constructed by humans thousands of years ago. These stones are often arranged in a circular or oval shape and can range in size from a few meters to hundreds of meters in diameter.

2. How old are these megalith circles?

The megalith circles discussed in this article are estimated to be around 12,000 years old, making them some of the oldest known human-made structures in the world.

3. How were these megalith circles constructed?

The construction methods of these megalith circles are still somewhat of a mystery. However, it is believed that the stones were moved and arranged using a combination of tools, man-power, and advanced engineering techniques.

4. What do these megalith circles tell us about ancient humans?

The existence of these megalith circles challenges our previous assumptions about the capabilities and knowledge of ancient humans. It suggests that they were more advanced and organized than previously thought, with the ability to plan and construct these impressive structures.

5. How does this discovery change our understanding of human history?

This discovery challenges the traditional narrative of human history and forces us to reconsider the timeline of human development. It also raises questions about the cultural and technological evolution of early human societies and the extent of their knowledge and capabilities.

Back