Why is fuel consumption higher at low RPM?

In summary, the data in the picture is incorrect. The fuel consumption is higher at 900 RPM than at 1600 RPM.
mandala09
Why are usually more wasteful fuel engine at low RPM, as the example image below, 900 RPM more wasteful fuel consumption than 1600 RPM.

Attachments

• fuel consumption.jpg
    fuel consumption.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 1,182
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
mandala09 said:
Why are usually more wasteful fuel engine at low RPM, as the example image below, 1600 RPM more wasteful fuel consumption than 900 RPM.

Mr Mandala, if I may be corrected, the data shown in the picture upside down with your statement. fuel consumption at 900 rpm is higher than at 1600 rpm. why is that? What kind of analysis?

wahyudi.jr said:
Mr Mandala, if I may be corrected, the data shown in the picture upside down with your statement. fuel consumption at 900 rpm is higher than at 1600 rpm. why is that? What kind of analysis?

Excuse me sir, I was wrong to write and I have to change it. Can you help me to analyze it?

Part of the issue will be the longer time that heat can be lost to the cylinder walls, reducing the amount of energy to expand the air and be converted to mechanical energy.

mender said:
Part of the issue will be the longer time that heat can be lost to the cylinder walls, reducing the amount of energy to expand the air and be converted to mechanical energy.

Although the engine was already in the working temperature if the heat will still be lost in the cylinder wall ?

What is RPM and how does it affect fuel consumption?

RPM stands for revolutions per minute, and it refers to the number of times the engine's crankshaft rotates in one minute. The higher the RPM, the faster the engine is running. Fuel consumption is affected by RPM because higher RPMs require more fuel to maintain the same speed.

Is it better to drive at a lower or higher RPM for fuel efficiency?

Typically, it is better to drive at a lower RPM for fuel efficiency. This means shifting to a higher gear sooner and driving at a lower speed. However, this may vary depending on the specific vehicle and driving conditions.

How does RPM vary between different types of vehicles?

RPM can vary significantly between different types of vehicles. Generally, a smaller, more fuel-efficient car will have a lower RPM at a given speed compared to a larger, less fuel-efficient vehicle. This is due to differences in engine size, weight, and other factors.

What is the optimal RPM range for fuel efficiency?

The optimal RPM range for fuel efficiency varies depending on the vehicle, but generally it is between 1000-3000 RPM. This range allows the engine to operate efficiently without using excessive fuel.

How can I reduce my fuel consumption by managing my RPM?

One way to reduce fuel consumption by managing RPM is to shift to a higher gear sooner and avoid constant rapid acceleration. Driving at a consistent speed and avoiding excessive idling can also help to reduce fuel consumption. Regular maintenance of the vehicle's engine and tires can also improve fuel efficiency and reduce the need for high RPMs.