Determine the mass moment of inertia of a quarter of an annulus

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the mass moment of inertia of a quarter ring with respect to two different axes - AA' and CC'. It is determined that the mass moment of inertia with respect to AA' can be calculated using the parallel axis theorem, while the one with respect to CC' can be calculated using the mass moment of inertia formula. A discrepancy arises between the calculated value and the given answer, suggesting a possible error or discrepancy in the provided answer.
jaredogden

Homework Statement

B.1

The quarter ring has mass m and was cut from a thin uniform plate. Knowing that r1 = 1/2r2 determine the mass moment of inertia of the quarter ring with respect to A. axis AA' B. The centroidal axis CC' that is perpendicular to the plane of the quarter ring.

CC' is located possibly where the center of mass is? (See attached file). EDIT: obviously it is the centroid.. the problem says centroidal axis, I'm dumb..

Homework Equations

IAA' = 1/4mr2
ICC' = 1/2mr2

Parallel Axis Theorem
I = I(bar) + md2

The Attempt at a Solution

I originally tried to just use the mass moments of inertia to calculate it. I then realized that the center of mass of the quarter annulus will not be at the origin O in this case so I probably will have to use the parallel axis theorem.

I am really lost on this and I originally calculated
IAA' = (1/16)m(r22 - (1/2)r22)
ICC' = (1/8)m(r22 - (1/2)r22)

Attachments

• Vector Mechanics Dynamics Pg. 719.pdf
    73.1 KB · Views: 1,179
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've calculated I(bar)AA' = (1/4)[(1/4)(mr22 - (1/2)mr22)] and simplified this to:
I(bar)AA' = (1/32)mr22

Then adding that to md2 where d = (1/2)r1 → (1/4)r2 from the parallel axis theorem to get
(1/32)mr22 + m(1/4)r22 = (9/32)mr22

The answer given by my professor is (5/16)mr22
Did I make a mistake somewhere or is the provided answer wrong?

What is the definition of mass moment of inertia?

The mass moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion around a specific axis. It is similar to how mass is a measure of an object's resistance to linear motion.

How is the mass moment of inertia calculated?

The mass moment of inertia is calculated by multiplying the mass of each particle in an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation, and then summing up all of these values. In mathematical terms, it is represented as I = ∑mr², where m is the mass and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

What is an annulus?

An annulus is a geometric shape that is formed by two concentric circles. It is essentially a ring-shaped object with a hollow center.

What does it mean to determine the mass moment of inertia of a quarter of an annulus?

Determining the mass moment of inertia of a quarter of an annulus means finding the moment of inertia for a quarter of the ring-shaped object, taking into account only the particles that make up that specific quarter.

Why is it important to calculate the mass moment of inertia?

The mass moment of inertia is important because it helps us understand an object's rotational motion and its stability. It also plays a crucial role in engineering and design, as it is used to calculate the amount of torque needed to rotate an object and can help determine the object's strength and durability.