Cant solve diff-eq with substitution

In summary, using the substitution y=xv, it can be shown that the given equation (x^2+y^2)+2xy(dy/dx)=0, where x>0, simplifies to x^3+3xy^2=k, where k is a constant. The variable v is defined as the function v(x)=y(x)/x, and when y=xv, the derivative dy/dx can be expressed as x(dv/dx)+v. By substituting this into the equation and replacing y with xv, the simplified equation is obtained.
Ryoukomaru
Use subs [tex]y=xv[/tex] to show that [tex](x^2+y^2)+2xy\frac{dy}{dx}=0, x>0[/tex] is [tex] x^3+3xy^2=k[/tex] where k is a constant.

I played around with this at school and if memory serves me correct i got something similar to [tex]\frac{dx}{dv}=\frac{-3}{2xv}-\frac{1}{2}[/tex] and after that i decided i wasnt on the right path and stopped. Need a little help here ! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
x is to remain the independent variable; v(x) is the dependent variable which replaces y(x)

What is v? Is v a function or a constant??

stunner5000pt said:
What is v? Is v a function or a constant??
v is defined as the function:
[tex]v(x)=\frac{y(x)}{x}[/tex]

If y= xv, then dy/dx= x dv/dx+ v. Put that into your equation and replace y by xv and see what happens.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates an unknown function to its derivatives. It is used to describe the relationship between a function and its rate of change.

2. How do you solve a differential equation with substitution?

Solving a differential equation with substitution involves substituting a new variable into the equation in order to simplify it and make it easier to solve. This new variable is typically chosen based on the form of the equation and its derivatives.

3. Can all differential equations be solved with substitution?

No, not all differential equations can be solved with substitution. Some equations may require other methods, such as separation of variables or using an integrating factor.

4. What are the benefits of using substitution to solve a differential equation?

Using substitution can make a differential equation easier to solve by simplifying the equation and reducing the number of variables. It can also help to reveal patterns and relationships within the equation.

5. Are there any limitations to using substitution to solve differential equations?

Yes, there are limitations to using substitution. It may not work for all types of differential equations, and it may not always lead to an exact solution. In some cases, it may only provide an approximate solution or a solution in the form of a series.