Do libraries use privately or publically owned ISPs?

• Thread starter Lebombo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Libraries
In summary, public libraries typically connect to the internet through county contracts with larger ISPs.
Lebombo
Do public libraries connect to the internet with Comcast, ATT, Verizon..etc, or is there a government owned ISP that libraries use?

Computer science news on Phys.org
As far as I know, there aren't any government-owned ISP's in the US.

In the USA, internet 2, is somewhat sponsored by government. I don't know how much govenment sponsorship is indirectly related to funding that goes through educational or research institutions. Some educational institutions have their own libraries, but I'm not sure if this is part of the answer the original post was asking for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet2

I am not sure it is the same thing. However local libraries (Westchester County, NY) have @westlib.org for their email. Does this mean westlib.org is ISP?

mathman said:
Does this mean westlib.org is ISP?

Is physicsforums.com an ISP? :smile:

mathman said:
I am not sure it is the same thing. However local libraries (Westchester County, NY) have @westlib.org for their email. Does this mean westlib.org is ISP?
No, it doesn't. Your ISP is what gives you your Internet connection. This has nothing to do with whether you have a website, what your website is, whether you have an email account, and who provides your email account.

I know this is a year old, but I just saw it and the question might come up again, so here is the answer.

Libraries can use any ISP they want, BUT they generally go with county contracts. There is a special pricing process for them called e-rate. They usually only deal with the larger carriers which are equipped to handle these special bids. I used to handle GEM accounts (Government, Education, and Medical). An absolute PITA.

http://www.usac.org/sl/

http://transition.fcc.gov/learnnet/

1. What is the difference between privately and publicly owned ISPs?

Privately owned ISPs are owned and operated by a single individual or company, while publicly owned ISPs are owned by the government or a public organization. Privately owned ISPs may have more flexibility in terms of pricing and services offered, while publicly owned ISPs may have more regulations and oversight.

2. Do libraries have a choice in selecting their ISP?

Yes, libraries have the freedom to choose from a variety of ISPs, both privately and publicly owned. They may consider factors such as cost, reliability, and customer service when making their decision.

3. Are there any benefits to using a publicly owned ISP for libraries?

Publicly owned ISPs may offer lower costs and more affordable options for libraries, as they are not focused on making a profit. They may also have a strong commitment to providing internet access for public institutions, such as libraries.

4. How does the choice of ISP affect the services and resources available at libraries?

The choice of ISP can greatly impact the speed and reliability of internet services at libraries. A high-quality ISP can provide faster internet speeds, which can improve access to online resources and services for library patrons.

5. Are there any regulations or guidelines for libraries when it comes to using ISPs?

There may be regulations or guidelines set by the library's governing body or local government on the use of ISPs. These may include rules on censorship, security, and data privacy. Libraries must also comply with any applicable laws or regulations related to internet usage.