Simulation, Geometry & Mesh Creation: Tool Suggestions & System Requirements

In summary: CFD++ is the best mesh generator by far. CFD++ seems to give the best results for most things. ANSYS is a decent beginner grade software, but you might need CFD++ for turbine stuff. You'll probably also need to be running it on a super computer. The mesh you'll require for decent results might need in the area of 64 cpus. If you go this route though, you'll have to learn linux as well.ANSYS is a decent beginner grade software, but you might need CFD++ for turbine stuff. You'll probably also need to be running it on a super computer. The mesh you'll require for decent results might need in the area of 64 cpus. If you go this route
Mann Harjeet
Hi Guys,

I have an query. I would like to know the best tool for Simulation, Geomtry and Mesh creation. I want to simulate a duct with a turbine in it as a Part of my research project. I am beginner for the simualtion field so please suggest accordingly the appropriate software. Also please suggest the system specification to run the same tool.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is this an undergrad research project? CFD is an extensive field and each of the pieces that you mentioned; geometry creation, mesh generation, and simulation take years of experience before being able to create something so complex as a turbine. As a beginner, I would suggest that you start with something far more simple, like the well studied lid-driven cavity flow.

There are many different software packages available, but you'll need to see what your University offers. Ansys produces fairly intuitive CFD software.

Thanks for your reply Smed, Its a post Graduation project. Nothing is available in the institute, Only I have to arrange the software at my own. That why I ask for the most suitable software. About Ansys I have heard that interaction of fluid with turbine is quite difficult.

Pointwise is the best mesh generator by far. CFD++ seems to give the best results for most things. ANSYS is a decent beginner grade software, but you might need CFD++ for turbine stuff. You'll probably also need to be running it on a super computer. The mesh you'll require for decent results might need in the area of 64 cpus. If you go this route though, you'll have to learn linux as well.

Last edited:
Vadar2012 said:
ANSYS is a decent beginner grade software

Hm... I wouldn't call a software package that is certified compliant with design standards in the nuclear industry "beginner grade", but YMMV.

AlephZero said:
Hm... I wouldn't call a software package that is certified compliant with design standards in the nuclear industry "beginner grade", but YMMV.

I'm not saying it's bad, it is a hell of a lot easier to use than the other programs that seem to give better resuls, and by better results I mean closer to experimental. In my experience, much closer. It's a damm good program, just the best to use for people starting out. You wouldn't want to start out with CFD++ on a supercomputer having to use a command shell. That'd scare you off forever.

I started off with ACE/FASTRAN, which had it's own mesh generation and computational environments. Very good to learn with, but a terrible terrible program in terms of results.

Note, I did scramjet combustion engine research, not a lot of programs are good at simulating turbulent hypersonic conditions. I'm just referring to ease of use.

ANSYS Fluent is a great code. It is also a general code, so it is good at a lot of things but not necessarily great any most of them. There are a lot of areas where other solvers are better. I know, for example, that a lot of academe uses GASP for high-speed aerodynamics problems.

Either way, the more pervasive problem is that the OP is wanting to fund this himself, which is going to be exorbitantly expensive.

1. What is simulation, geometry, and mesh creation?

Simulation, geometry, and mesh creation are all essential components of computer-aided engineering (CAE) software. Simulation refers to the process of creating a virtual representation of a physical system or process, while geometry involves defining the shape and size of the objects within the simulation. Mesh creation is the process of dividing the simulation geometry into smaller elements to accurately model the behavior of the system.

2. Why are these tools important for scientific research?

Simulation, geometry, and mesh creation are important for scientific research because they allow scientists to model and analyze complex systems in a virtual environment. This can save time and resources by avoiding costly physical experiments, and also provide a deeper understanding of the underlying principles and behaviors of the system being studied.

3. What are some common software tools used for simulation, geometry, and mesh creation?

Some common software tools for simulation, geometry, and mesh creation include ANSYS, COMSOL Multiphysics, OpenFOAM, and SolidWorks. These programs offer a wide range of capabilities and are used in various industries, including aerospace, automotive, and biomedical engineering.

4. What are the system requirements for running simulation, geometry, and mesh creation software?

The system requirements for running simulation, geometry, and mesh creation software can vary depending on the specific program and its features. However, in general, these tools require a high-performance computer with a fast processor, a significant amount of RAM, and a dedicated graphics card. It is also important to have sufficient storage space and a reliable internet connection for downloading and running simulations.

5. Can these tools be used for real-time simulations?

While some simulation software may offer real-time capabilities, most simulation, geometry, and mesh creation tools are not designed for real-time simulations. These tools typically require significant computational resources and may take several minutes or even hours to run a simulation. However, real-time simulations are becoming increasingly possible with advancements in computer technology.