Best grad schools for control theory/control systems engineering?

In summary, the conversation is about a person's search for a list of top schools for graduate study in control theory. They mention that they have heard of schools such as Carnegie Mellon, Stanford, and MIT, but are looking for more input from graduate students in the field. The conversation then suggests additional schools to consider, including the University of California-Berkeley, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, and Cornell University, and mentions that smaller universities may also have strong programs in control theory.
Only a Mirage
I've been trying to search for some sort of list of top schools for graduate study in control theory. While there are rankings available for electrical engineering in general, I'm having a hard time finding rankings for specific specializations.

So far I've heard Carnegie Mellon, Stanford, MIT, Caltech, Georgia Tech, Purdue, Michigan.

Can anyone with more experience than myself (graduate students in controls possibly?) give me their opinion on schools I may have missed, or if there are any schools that do not belong in my list?

By the way, I am a senior undergraduate in electrical engineering.

Physics news on Phys.org
Other schools you may want to consider include the University of California-Berkeley, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, Cornell University, University of Pennsylvania, Princeton University, Harvard University, University of Wisconsin-Madison, and the University of Toronto. Additionally, many smaller universities have strong control theory programs, such as Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Northeastern University, and the University of Waterloo.

1. What is control theory/control systems engineering?

Control theory/control systems engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with mathematical modeling, analysis, and design of systems that are governed by physical laws or mathematical equations. It involves the use of methods and tools to design and control systems to achieve desired behaviors and performance.

2. Why is it important to attend a top grad school for control theory/control systems engineering?

Attending a top grad school for control theory/control systems engineering can provide you with a strong theoretical and practical foundation in this field. It also offers access to cutting-edge research and advanced training in specialized areas, which can enhance your knowledge and skills and make you more competitive in the job market.

3. What are the key factors to consider when choosing a grad school for control theory/control systems engineering?

Some key factors to consider when choosing a grad school for control theory/control systems engineering include the program's reputation, faculty expertise, research opportunities, curriculum and coursework, location, facilities and resources, and career prospects after graduation.

4. What are some of the best grad schools for control theory/control systems engineering?

Some of the best grad schools for control theory/control systems engineering include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), University of California-Berkeley, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, and Stanford University. These schools have a strong reputation, experienced faculty, and well-established research programs in this field.

5. What career opportunities are available for graduates of top grad schools in control theory/control systems engineering?

Graduates of top grad schools in control theory/control systems engineering can pursue careers in a variety of industries, including aerospace, automotive, manufacturing, robotics, and energy. They can work as control systems engineers, robotics engineers, system analysts, research scientists, and consultants, among other roles. They may also have the opportunity to work in government agencies and research institutions.