Calculating the equivalent inductance of a simulated inductor

In summary, the task is to find the equivalent resistance of a simulated inductor in a larger circuit. The attempt at a solution involves making node-voltage equations and using the formula L = R1 * R2 * C. The goal is to apply a voltage V to the circuit input and compute the input current I, using the formula V = sLI.
jkface

Homework Statement

9iLOs.jpg

I am asked to find the equivalent resistance of a simulated inductor shown above. We are told not to worry about the simulated inductor circuit. The simulated inductor will be incorporated into a larger circuit as shown below.

vPJr7.jpg

2. The attempt at a solution

I am really not sure where to start or what to do. I tried making node-voltage equations but I don't know if that's going to help anything.

When I was searching online for help I saw a post that said L = R1 * R2 * C. Is this right and how does this work? I would really appreciate any help because I'm not getting much of this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Apply a voltage V to the circuit input and compute the input current I. You will find that V = sLI. The formula you dug up at least looks right dimensionally.

1. How do you calculate the equivalent inductance of a simulated inductor?

To calculate the equivalent inductance of a simulated inductor, you will need to use the formula L = (N^2 * μ * A)/l, where N is the number of turns, μ is the permeability of the material, A is the cross-sectional area, and l is the length of the inductor.

2. What is a simulated inductor?

A simulated inductor is a circuit element that mimics the behavior of a real inductor, but is not physically present in the circuit. It is typically created using a combination of other circuit elements, such as capacitors and resistors.

3. Why is it important to calculate the equivalent inductance of a simulated inductor?

Calculating the equivalent inductance of a simulated inductor is important because it allows us to accurately predict and analyze the behavior of the circuit. This information is crucial in the design and optimization of electronic circuits.

4. Can the equivalent inductance of a simulated inductor be negative?

No, the equivalent inductance of a simulated inductor cannot be negative. Inductance is a physical property that cannot have a negative value. If the calculated equivalent inductance is negative, it is likely an error in the simulation or calculation.

5. How does the number of turns affect the equivalent inductance of a simulated inductor?

The number of turns in a simulated inductor directly affects its equivalent inductance. As the number of turns increases, the inductance also increases. This is because the magnetic field produced by each turn adds up, resulting in a larger overall inductance.