Can This Graphics Demo Really Run in Real Time?

• Thread starter Kutt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphics
In summary, the conversation discussed the potential of a graphics demo being real or fake. It was determined that while the graphics engine may be real, it is most likely not being rendered in real-time. The conversation also touched on the limitations of current PC hardware and the possibility of advanced graphics in the future. It was concluded that the video in question was most likely fake and not an original creation.
Kutt

Is this graphics demo real or fake?

I don't think that any PC hardware exists capable of running this graphics engine, and probably won't for at least 10 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Kutt said:

Is this graphics demo real or fake?

I don't think that any PC hardware exists capable of running this graphics engine, and probably won't for at least 10 years.

Its probably the real graphics engine but its not rendering the graphics in real-time as you would if you're playing the game. That will most likely have been pre-rendered which allows a lot more details to be calculated for each frame, bit like the way cgi in a movie is done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a pre-render as are most teaser trailers for games. You won't get live rendering on games like that for another 5 to 10 years. Although that might be debatable.

And in 10 years is only if its commercially worth while.

sirchick said:
Its a pre-render as are most teaser trailers for games. You won't get live rendering on games like that for another 5 to 10 years. Although that might be debatable.

And in 10 years is only if its commercially worth while.

I read on another forum that within that time we will have real-time avatar-like graphics in PC games, and we will be processing terabyte data cubes while a high-end PC will be about the size of a shoebox.

That person failed to realize that higher end spec results in a hotter temperature, there is a limit to silicon computers.

sirchick said:
That person failed to realize that higher end spec results in a hotter temperature, there is a limit to silicon computers.

What about terabyte-per-second memory transfer rates within five years?

I can't see there being a need for it on a home computer for a company to ever invest in selling such tech.

sirchick said:
I can't see there being a need for it on a home computer for a company to ever invest in selling such tech.

Today's best video game graphics will be like pac-man compared to what games might be like in 15-20 years.

This video is most likely a fake. Note that bethesdadevelopment has only four videos so far, and one of them is "the creation of Senchal City in Elsweyr" - I am almost sure I have seen it in the past not as an example of what Bethesda works on, but as an example of some new technology behind 3D rendering engines (edit: I believe it had something to do with the lights/shadows rendering, which is why you see shadows moving quite often in the video). The quality of both Senchal city video and the video posted as the first one in this thread suggest it is not an original, but something stolen and repacked again.

Last edited:

1. Is this graphics demo real?

It depends on what you mean by "real". If you are asking if the graphics are computer-generated images, then yes, they are real in the sense that they exist and can be seen. However, if you are asking if they accurately represent a real-life scenario, then the answer is most likely no, as graphics demos often use advanced techniques and effects that are not possible in real life.

2. How are graphics demos created?

Graphics demos are typically created using computer software, such as 3D modeling programs, rendering engines, and post-processing software. These tools allow artists and developers to create and manipulate 3D objects, textures, lighting, and other elements to create realistic or stylized graphics.

3. Can graphics demos be used for scientific purposes?

Yes, graphics demos can be used for scientific purposes, such as visualizing complex data, simulating experiments, or creating educational materials. However, they should be used with caution, as they may not always accurately represent real-world scenarios.

4. Do graphics demos require powerful hardware to run?

Yes, graphics demos often require powerful hardware, such as high-end graphics cards and processors, to run smoothly. This is because they use advanced rendering techniques and realistic graphics, which require a lot of processing power to display properly.

5. How can I tell if a graphics demo is real or fake?

There are a few ways to tell if a graphics demo is real or fake. One way is to research the software used to create the demo and see if it is commonly used in the industry. Another way is to look for telltale signs, such as unrealistic lighting or physics, that may indicate that the demo is not entirely accurate. Additionally, you can compare the demo to real-life scenarios or photos to see if there are any noticeable differences.