Two Satellites in Parallel Orbits

In summary, the problem involves two Earth satellites passing each other 1 km apart along a line radially outward from the Earth. The orbital period for each satellite can be found using the equation T^2=\frac{4\pi^2r^3}{GM}. By expressing the angle between their respective radial vectors as a function of time and setting it equal to 2πn, where n is an integer, the time required for the satellites to be 1 km apart again can be found.
LovePhys

Homework Statement

Two Earth satellites are in parallel orbits with radii 6700 km and 6701 km. One day they pass each other, 1 km apart, along a line radially outward from the earth. How long will it be until they are again 1 km apart?

Homework Equations

s=r*θ

The Attempt at a Solution

I have an idea that when the two satellites are again 1km apart, they should have the same radian measure. Therefore, if [itex] s_{1}=r_{1}θ [/itex] and [itex] s_{2}=r_{2}θ [/itex], then [itex] \frac{s_{1}}{r_{1}}=\frac{s_{2}}{r_{2}} [/itex]. But this is just a proportion and I can't find a way to the time required.

At the moment, I have an idea of substituting a value for s2 and then find s1. Then I compare the time taken by each satellite to cover the required distance, if they two values of time do match, then it will be the final answer...

Physics news on Phys.org
LovePhys said:

Homework Statement

Two Earth satellites are in parallel orbits with radii 6700 km and 6701 km. One day they pass each other, 1 km apart, along a line radially outward from the earth. How long will it be until they are again 1 km apart?

Homework Equations

s=r*θ

The Attempt at a Solution

I have an idea that when the two satellites are again 1km apart, they should have the same radian measure. Therefore, if [itex] s_{1}=r_{1}θ [/itex] and [itex] s_{2}=r_{2}θ [/itex], then [itex] \frac{s_{1}}{r_{1}}=\frac{s_{2}}{r_{2}} [/itex]. But this is just a proportion and I can't find a way to the time required.

At the moment, I have an idea of substituting a value for s2 and then find s1. Then I compare the time taken by each satellite to cover the required distance, if they two values of time do match, then it will be the final answer...
Can you find the orbital period for each satellite (the time it takes to complete one complete orbit)?

AM

@Andrew Mason

Thanks for your reply.
Yes, I have found the orbital period for both using the equation [itex] T^2=\frac{4\pi^2r^3}{GM} [/itex], specifically T1≈5456.053s and T2≈5457.274s. Yet, I still cannot see how this helps...

Think about the rendez-vous situation in terms of the orbital angle. Let's say at the initial rendez-vous the angle was zero for both satellites. What will it be at the next one?

LovePhys said:
@Andrew Mason

Thanks for your reply.
Yes, I have found the orbital period for both using the equation [itex] T^2=\frac{4\pi^2r^3}{GM} [/itex], specifically T1≈5456.053s and T2≈5457.274s. Yet, I still cannot see how this helps...
Can you now express the angle between their respective radial vectors as a function of time? (hint: find the difference in angular velocity and relate that to the angle between their respective radial vectors).

AM

@voko and Andrew Mason

Thank you very much.
I can easily find angular velocity [itex] ω=\frac{2\pi}{T} [/itex]. Also, since this is uniform circular motion, I then think that [itex] θ=ωt [/itex], so the angle between radial vectors as a function of time is: [itex] \Deltaθ=t(ω_{1}-ω_{2}) [/itex]. But [itex] \Deltaθ=0 [/itex] only when t=0 (initial condition). Please tell me if I am missing something...

Thank you!

Last edited:
LovePhys said:
But [itex] \Deltaθ=0 [/itex] only when t=0 (initial condition).

What about ## \Delta \theta = 2 \pi n ##, where ## n ## is integer?

@voko

Yes! Why didn't I think about that? Thanks a lot, I got the correct answer! Now I just let n=1 and then find t. :)

1. How are the orbits of two satellites in parallel defined?

The orbits of two satellites in parallel are defined as having the same inclination, or angle, with respect to the equator. This means that the two satellites will pass over the same points on Earth at the same time.

2. What is the purpose of having two satellites in parallel orbits?

The purpose of having two satellites in parallel orbits is to increase the coverage of the Earth's surface and improve the accuracy of data collection. By having two satellites passing over the same points on Earth at the same time, more data can be collected and cross-checked for accuracy.

3. How do parallel orbits affect the speed of the satellites?

Parallel orbits do not affect the speed of the satellites. The speed of the satellites is determined by their altitude and the gravitational force of the Earth.

4. Can two satellites in parallel orbits collide?

While it is possible for two satellites in parallel orbits to collide, the chances are extremely low. Satellites are constantly monitored and their orbits can be adjusted to avoid collisions if necessary.

5. How does the distance between the two satellites in parallel orbits affect their performance?

The distance between the two satellites in parallel orbits does not significantly affect their performance. However, having a larger distance between the two satellites can increase the coverage of the Earth's surface and improve the accuracy of data collection.