Calculate number of nodes in stationary waves

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a vibrating cord with different masses and the number of nodes in each case. The frequency of the cord is related to the harmonic number, and there is some confusion about the number of nodes in the fundamental frequency. The solution is eventually found to be 6 nodes in the first case and 9 nodes in the second case.
markus92

Homework Statement

Hi guys I have this problem that I can't solve..

Suppose to have this situation:

12345.jpg

when M=16kg the cord vibrates in one of its normal ways of oscillation.
when M=6.25 we have the same frequency but 3 more nodes.

How many are the nodes of the stationary wave in the first and in the second case?Knowing that for the n harmonic the frequency is

[itex]\frac{n}{2L}\sqrt{\frac{T}{u}}[/itex]

3more node → n harmonic first case +2 so

[itex]\frac{n1}{2L}\sqrt{\frac{T1}{u}}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{n2}{2L}\sqrt{\frac{T2}{u}}[/itex]

but it's wrong.

How can I solve this?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think i would be n+3 not n+2 for three more nodes

yes I think you're right

edit.

solved

Last edited:
I worked the problem and I am curious what the answer is?

Let me ask for a definition. If the string is vibrating at its lowest frequency, do you consider the endpoints f the string where it attaches to the wall and pully nodes or do the nodes only exist BETWEEN the end points? Put another way does the fundamental frequency have 0 or 2 nodes?

I consider the fundamental have 2 nodes like this schema

250px-Harmonic_partials_on_strings.svg.png

What is the formula for calculating the number of nodes in stationary waves?

The formula for calculating the number of nodes in stationary waves is given by n = L/λ, where n is the number of nodes, L is the length of the medium, and λ is the wavelength.

What is the significance of calculating the number of nodes in stationary waves?

Calculating the number of nodes in stationary waves helps us understand the behavior of waves in a medium. It provides information about the standing wave pattern, which can be used to determine the properties of the medium, such as its density and elasticity.

How do you identify the nodes in stationary waves?

Nodes in stationary waves are points where the displacement of the medium is zero. They can be identified by observing the points where the medium remains at rest as the wave passes through it.

Can the number of nodes in a stationary wave change?

Yes, the number of nodes in a stationary wave can change depending on the length of the medium and the wavelength of the wave. As the wavelength increases, the number of nodes also increases.

What factors affect the number of nodes in stationary waves?

The number of nodes in stationary waves is affected by the length of the medium, the wavelength of the wave, and the boundary conditions of the medium. The number of nodes also depends on the mode of vibration and the frequency of the wave.