Complex problem with additional equation

• Thread starter V0ODO0CH1LD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complex
But, yes, I think the intent was to not find ## \lambda ## and instead find the sum of the solutions to ## z^4 = \lambda -32 ##.I'm not sure what you mean by "find k". I think the point of the problem is to show that the sum of the solutions is independent of \lambda, so you can use any value of \lambda you like. The fact that you can choose any value of \lambda you like means that you don't need to solve for \lambda, which means you don't need to solve for k, either.
V0ODO0CH1LD

Homework Statement

Let ## \lambda ## be the real solutions to the equation ## \sqrt{\lambda +9}+\sqrt{2\lambda +17}=12 ##. Then what is the sum of the solutions ## z ##, with ## Re\ z>0 ##, of the equation ## z^4=\lambda -32 ##?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried substituting ## \lambda =z^4+32 ## into ## \sqrt{\lambda +9}+\sqrt{2\lambda +17}=12 ## to see if something simplified, but nothing did. Am I left with hacking this one out? Because I refuse to believe that I should try to actually solve ## \sqrt{\lambda +9}+\sqrt{2\lambda +17}=12 ## for ## \lambda ##.

Is there a "better" way?

Physics news on Phys.org
V0ODO0CH1LD said:
I refuse to believe that I should try to actually solve ## \sqrt{\lambda +9}+\sqrt{2\lambda +17}=12 ## for ## \lambda ##.
Perhaps there's a better way, but solving that really isn't hard at all.

Remember when you're solving equations involving radicals, you need to isolate an individual radical on one side of the equation. If you subtract one of the radical terms from both sides, you can then square both sides. Pay attention to the fact that you will be squaring a binomial on one side.

There might be an easier way, but not that I'm aware of. The only method I know of is slogging through the algebra.

Last edited:
[tex] \sqrt{\lambda +9}+\sqrt{2\lambda +17}=12[/tex]

As I mentioned above, you want to isolate one of the radicals, so we'll subtract one of them from both sides of the equation.

[tex]\sqrt{2\lambda +17}=12-\sqrt{\lambda +9}[/tex]

Now we want to start trying to eliminate the radicals, which we can do by squaring both sides.

[tex](\sqrt{2\lambda +17})^2=(12-\sqrt{\lambda +9})^2[/tex]

Now go through and apply the exponents. Remember that [itex](\sqrt{a})^2=a[/itex] and keep in mind that you're squaring a binomial on the right side. Afterwards, you'll need to eliminate the second radical.

There's a fair amount of algebra here, but solving for [itex]\lambda[/itex] isn't too terrible difficult.

It's not about being terribly difficult. I already solved it that way and got ## \lambda = 16##, but the whole process was very "ugly" (not hard). This is one of those competition math problems, and the first one that I had to resort to hacking. Usually there is some identity or theorem that simplifies the problem in case it looks like it's going to be very laborious and likely for you to make mistakes. But every now and again it seem like there is a problem that is very time consuming in these things.

Thanks!

Hi V0ODO0CH1LD! :smile:
V0ODO0CH1LD said:
This is one of those competition math problems …

In that case, you can guess there must be a quick way! :wink:

Two things to notice immediately:

i] it's obviously an increasing function, and so can have only one solution

ii] 2λ + 17 must be odd, so both those squares must be odd​

Since you're expecting a quick way, the first pair to check would be 5 + 7 …

which of course works! :biggrin:

V0ODO0CH1LD said:

Homework Statement

Let ## \lambda ## be the real solutions to the equation ## \sqrt{\lambda +9}+\sqrt{2\lambda +17}=12 ##. Then what is the sum of the solutions ## z ##, with ## Re\ z>0 ##, of the equation ## z^4=\lambda -32 ##?

I don't think the question actually requires that you find [itex]\lambda[/itex]; you only need to find the sum of the roots in question as a function of [itex]\lambda[/itex].

We know that [itex]\lambda[/itex] is real, so [itex]\lambda - 32[/itex] is also real. So we need the solutions of [itex]z^4 = C[/itex] with [itex]C \in \mathbb{R}[/itex].

If [itex]C > 0[/itex], then [itex]C = k^4[/itex] for some [itex]k > 0[/itex]. Then the solutions of [itex]z^4 = k^4[/itex] are [itex]k[/itex], [itex]-k[/itex] and [itex]\pm ik[/itex]. The only one with strictly positive real part is [itex]k[/itex].

If [itex]C < 0[/itex], then [itex]C = -k^4[/itex] for some [itex]k > 0[/itex]. Then either [itex]z^2 = ik^2[/itex] or [itex]z^2 = -ik^2[/itex]. In the first case,
[tex]
z = \pm \frac{k}{\sqrt{2}} (1 + i)
[/tex]
and in the second,
[tex]
z = \pm \frac{k}{\sqrt{2}}(1 - i)
[/tex]
Thus there are a conjugate pair of solutions with strictly positive real part, and the sum of those solutions is [itex]k\sqrt{2}[/itex].

So all you need to know is whether [itex]\lambda > 32[/itex]. Since [itex]f(x) = \sqrt{x +9}+\sqrt{2x +17}[/itex] is strictly increasing, this is equivalent to asking whether [itex]f(\lambda) = 12 > f(32)[/itex].

pasmith said:
I don't think the question actually requires that you find [itex]\lambda[/itex]; you only need to find the sum of the roots in question as a function of [itex]\lambda[/itex].

We know that [itex]\lambda[/itex] is real, so [itex]\lambda - 32[/itex] is also real. So we need the solutions of [itex]z^4 = C[/itex] with [itex]C \in \mathbb{R}[/itex].

If [itex]C > 0[/itex], then [itex]C = k^4[/itex] for some [itex]k > 0[/itex]. Then the solutions of [itex]z^4 = k^4[/itex] are [itex]k[/itex], [itex]-k[/itex] and [itex]\pm ik[/itex]. The only one with strictly positive real part is [itex]k[/itex].

If [itex]C < 0[/itex], then [itex]C = -k^4[/itex] for some [itex]k > 0[/itex]. Then either [itex]z^2 = ik^2[/itex] or [itex]z^2 = -ik^2[/itex]. In the first case,
[tex]
z = \pm \frac{k}{\sqrt{2}} (1 + i)
[/tex]
and in the second,
[tex]
z = \pm \frac{k}{\sqrt{2}}(1 - i)
[/tex]
Thus there are a conjugate pair of solutions with strictly positive real part, and the sum of those solutions is [itex]k\sqrt{2}[/itex].

So all you need to know is whether [itex]\lambda > 32[/itex]. Since [itex]f(x) = \sqrt{x +9}+\sqrt{2x +17}[/itex] is strictly increasing, this is equivalent to asking whether [itex]f(\lambda) = 12 > f(32)[/itex].

are you saying that I don't need to find ## k ##? Because the acceptable answer is ## 2\sqrt{2} ##. Which requires me to find ## k ##.

1. What is a complex problem with an additional equation?

A complex problem with an additional equation refers to a mathematical or scientific problem that involves multiple variables and an additional equation that must be solved in order to find a solution. This type of problem is often more difficult to solve compared to simple problems with only one equation.

2. Why are complex problems with additional equations important?

Complex problems with additional equations are important because they allow us to model and understand real-world situations that have multiple factors and variables. By solving these problems, we can make predictions and find solutions that can help us make informed decisions.

3. How do you approach solving a complex problem with an additional equation?

The first step in solving a complex problem with an additional equation is to identify all the variables and equations involved. Then, we can use mathematical principles such as substitution, elimination, or graphing to solve for the unknown variables. It is also important to check the solution to ensure it is valid.

4. What are some common challenges when solving complex problems with additional equations?

One of the common challenges when solving complex problems with additional equations is determining which method to use to solve the equations. Another challenge is identifying the correct equations to use, as sometimes there may be extraneous information that is not relevant to the problem.

5. How can solving complex problems with additional equations benefit us in other areas of life?

Solving complex problems with additional equations can benefit us in other areas of life by improving our critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It also helps us understand how different variables and factors can affect a situation and how to find the best solution. These skills are valuable in various professions, such as engineering, finance, and research.