Finding Local Extrema with Derivatives

In summary, the conversation discusses finding two positive numbers whose product is 108 and the sum of the first number plus three times the second number is a minimum. The conversation also touches on finding derivatives and critical points to determine a local minimum or maximum.
scorpa
Hey there!

You guys aren't going to believe that I can get stuck on something this pathetically easy, but I have to ask anyway.

Find two positive numbers whose product is 108 and the sum of the first number plus three times the second number is a minimum.

Here is what I've done:

xy = 108
x + 3y = S

Let x and y be the two numbers, and S the sum.

To find S substitute x = (108/y) into x + 3y = S

S = (108/y) + 3y

Now I need to take the derivative of the function, and set it equal to zero to find a critical number, but I can't get the right answer for this part, which is stupid because it should be so darn easy. I haven't done derivatives in awhile and now I am starting to forget them :mad:

This is what the book says :

dS/dy = -(108/y^2) + 3 = 0

3 = 108/y^2
y^2 = 36
y = 6

The second derivative the book says is 216/y^3

Can someone please explain how they got the derivatives to me? I feel absolutely stupid having to ask this but I figured I had better ask now so I understand it later. Thanks so much :redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the derivatives of a constant,of [itex] y=x [/itex] and [itex] y=\frac{1}{x} [/itex]...

U need them all.

Daniel.

scorpa said:
S = (108/y) + 3y
I'd rewrite this as [tex]S = 108y^{-1} + 3y[/tex]

You use the power rule to find the derivative of each term. This identifies your critical points, but doesn't tell you for sure whether you have a local minimum or a local maximum.

Use the power rule, again, to find the derivative of your derivative (the second derivative). If the second derivative is greater than 0, you have a local minimum; If less than 0, a local maximum.

If you don't understand why, then graph your original function, your first derivative, and your second derivative. The relationship between them should be a little clearer.

What are "Applications of Derivatives"?

"Applications of Derivatives" refer to the practical uses of the mathematical concept of derivatives. Derivatives are used to measure the rate of change of a function, which can be applied to various real-world scenarios such as optimization, prediction, and modeling.

What are some common examples of applications of derivatives?

Some common examples include finding the maximum or minimum value of a function, calculating the velocity and acceleration of an object, determining the marginal cost and revenue in economics, and predicting future values in finance and business.

How are derivatives used in optimization?

In optimization, derivatives are used to find the optimal solution to a problem. By finding the derivative of a function and setting it equal to zero, we can identify critical points where the function is either at a maximum or minimum value. This helps us make decisions that result in the most desirable outcome.

What is the importance of derivatives in physics?

In physics, derivatives are used to calculate the velocity and acceleration of an object. By taking the derivative of the position function, we can obtain the velocity function. Similarly, taking the derivative of the velocity function gives us the acceleration function. This allows us to analyze the motion of objects and make predictions about their future behavior.

How do derivatives help in predicting future values?

Derivatives can be used to find the rate of change of a function. By knowing the current rate of change, we can make predictions about the future values of the function. This is particularly useful in finance and business, where derivatives are used to analyze trends and make informed decisions about investments and pricing strategies.