[PChem] Maxwell-Boltzmann Molecule Mean Speed

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of mean speed (c) using the M-B Speed Distribution. This involves multiplying each speed by the fraction of molecules with that speed and adding all the products together. When the speed varies over a continuous range, the sum is replaced by an integral. The integral of the function "f(v)" equals one, while the integral of "v*f(v)" gives the average or expectancy value of the property x. This can be understood through the example of rolling a dice, where the expectancy value is calculated by multiplying each value by its probability and adding them together. The integral c=∫vf(v)dv is a definition used in this calculation.
Coop
Hi,

I am having trouble with this concept...

"A mean speed (c) is calculated by multiplying each speed by the fraction of molecules that have that speed, and then adding all the products together. When the speed varies over a continuous range, the sum is replaced by an integral. To employ this approach here, we note that the fraction of molecules with a speed in the range v to v + dv is f(v)dv, so the product of this fraction and the speed is vf(v)dv. The mean speed is obtained by evaluating the integral

[tex]c=\int vf(v)dv[/tex]."

This passage is dealing with the M-B Speed Distribution. So integrating the function would give you the probability of finding a molecule with the speed between the lower and upper bounds, correct? So if you just took the integral of the function with no bounds it should be equal to one. I am having trouble seeing why integrating the product of the function and the speed leads to an average...

...Could anyone try and clear this up for me?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The integral over the function "f(v)" would equal one. What you integrate here is the function "v*f(v)".

Timo said:
The integral over the function "f(v)" would equal one. What you integrate here is the function "v*f(v)".

Yes sorry, I see that my wording was ambiguous. I am having trouble seeing why integrating v*f(v) gives you an average.

Coop said:
Yes sorry, I see that my wording was ambiguous. I am having trouble seeing why integrating v*f(v) gives you an average.
If f(x) is a probability distribution then the integral over x*f(x) pretty much is the definition of the average, mean, or expectancy value of the property x. Not sure what I can do to help you understanding it. Maybe an example that does not explicity use an integral: Rolling a dice has an equal probability 1/6 for each side of the dice. The expectancy value is <x> = 1*1/6 + 2*1/6 +3*1/6 + 4*1/6 +5*1/6 + 6*1/6 = [tex] \sum_{i=1}^6 i * p(i)[/tex], with p(i) being the probability for event/value i.

I am not sure that emphasizing "weighted average" really helps understanding (but this thread has a chance to prove me wrong). Technically, the integral over x*f(x) is a weighted average of x with f(x) being the weights. But in my experience the term "weighted average" is only used when a sensible "unweighted average" would exist, which is not the case here (there is no point in or sensible meaning of "the average real number").

Likes 1 person
Thanks for following up :). Yes, I was confused at where the integral c=∫vf(v)dv was coming from (I don't like using random equations which I don't know where they came from) but I figured out it was pretty much just a definition.

1. What is the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution?

The Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution is a probability distribution used to describe the distribution of particle speeds in a gas at a specific temperature. It is named after James Clerk Maxwell and Ludwig Boltzmann and is a key concept in the field of physical chemistry.

2. How does the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution relate to molecular mean speed?

The Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution provides a mathematical relationship between the temperature of a gas and the average speed of its molecules. As the temperature increases, the average speed of the molecules also increases. This relationship is described by the equation v_avg = √(8kT/πm), where v_avg is the average speed, k is the Boltzmann constant, T is the temperature, and m is the mass of the molecules.

3. What factors affect the distribution of molecule mean speed?

The distribution of molecule mean speed is affected by temperature, mass of the molecules, and the number of molecules present in the gas. As temperature increases, the average speed of the molecules increases and the distribution shifts towards higher speeds. A lighter molecule will have a higher average speed compared to a heavier molecule at the same temperature. The number of molecules present also affects the distribution, as a greater number of molecules will result in a wider distribution of speeds.

4. What is the significance of the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution in physical chemistry?

The Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution is a fundamental concept in physical chemistry and is used to explain various phenomena, such as the rate of diffusion, viscosity, and thermal conductivity. It also helps in understanding the behavior of gases under different conditions and provides a way to calculate the heat capacity of a gas.

5. How is the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution experimentally determined?

The Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution can be experimentally determined by measuring the speeds of a large number of gas molecules in a closed container at a specific temperature. This data can then be plotted on a graph, with the speed on the x-axis and the number of molecules with that speed on the y-axis. The resulting curve will follow the shape of the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution, and the average speed can be calculated from the peak of the curve.