Try Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce - Hot Stuff!

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hot
In summary, turbo and his wife spent the day canning and pickling various types of peppers, including habaneros, jalapenos, lipstick chilis, and a variety of red peppers. They also made a flavorful pepper relish using peppers from their neighbor and Astronuc. Their neighbor is also a pepper enthusiast and turbo's wife brought some extra jars to the store owner, who loved it and may want to start selling it. They also made jalapeno poppers, which were a hit with everyone except for the hot-averse members of the family. They also started a batch of tomato and pepper salsa to be canned the next day.
My neighbor has lots of black plastic water-barrels in his greenhouse for gentle heat. My mini-greenhouse that he built for us is too small for that, so I covered the floor with slabs of slate.

Physics news on Phys.org
turbo-1 said:
My neighbor has lots of black plastic water-barrels in his greenhouse for gentle heat. My mini-greenhouse that he built for us is too small for that, so I covered the floor with slabs of slate.
Funny you say that Turbo, because once the plants quadruple in size, or so I estimate, then they are fine with the full heat. In fact, I don't think they would grow as well without it. After seeing how finicky these little plants are it makes me wonder if they in fact grow in the wild, if so, there must only be a few "ideal" places where can find the ideal place to develop to full maturity. I would like to see some pictures of some natural ghost peppers in a wild environment, maybe they will hold a clue I will give it a shot and report back.

Rhody...

rhody said:
Funny you say that Turbo, because once the plants quadruple in size, or so I estimate, then they are fine with the full heat. In fact, I don't think they would grow as well without it. After seeing how finicky these little plants are it makes me wonder if they in fact grow in the wild, if so, there must only be a few "ideal" places where can find the ideal place to develop to full maturity. I would like to see some pictures of some natural ghost peppers in a wild environment, maybe they will hold a clue I will give it a shot and report back.

Rhody...
Johnny's Selected Seeds has IR-transmissive plastic mulch that is biodegradable. It supposedly allows you to get the soil temperature increased by maybe 8 degrees, while suppressing weeds and letting the plastic absorb higher-energy light frequencies and re-radiating others. I'm planning on buying some this year to try to urge my habaneros into better production. $15 for 4'x50'. Cheap enough to give it a go.

turbo-1 said:
Johnny's Selected Seeds has IR-transmissive plastic mulch that is biodegradable. It supposedly allows you to get the soil temperature increased by maybe 8 degrees, while suppressing weeds and letting the plastic absorb higher-energy light frequencies and re-radiating others. I'm planning on buying some this year to try to urge my habaneros into better production. $15 for 4'x50'. Cheap enough to give it a go.

It is worth a try, but my humble experience is like with a patient who needs urgent care from day to day, if you don't pay attention and adjust accordingly, you lose the patient, which I have done or more than one occasion. However,as time goes on, I make fewer and fewer mistakes. As long as I am only dealing with growth/water/light issues I have been fine, once you add insects, plant disease I am pretty much cooked, I have lost plants mostly due to the insect/disease issue. I find keeping them isolated helps.

Rhody...

Rhody...

Recently, I unearthed a jar of red habanero relish that I had made from chilies from the supermarket. This was from the batch that Astro encountered on his first visit. How disappointing. I've been loading it onto hot-dog rolls just to use it up. I really hope I get a good crop this year. My home-grown habaneros have a "sweet heat" when they are ripe, and they make wonderful relishes. Unfortunately, the last few years have not been conducive to good habanero crops. Can I get one relatively dry and hot summer? Please?

Ghost peppers... "chocolate" Ghost peppers...

IS your tongue made of tanned hide?? Bhut Jolokia is what we're talking about here, right? What are you planning to do with these, make elephant bombs or some kind of fiendish capsaicin extract?

Rhody... fast bikes and bhut jolokia... you definitely appreciate the edges of a safe life. :bugeye: On the other hand, your cat is ADORABLE.

nismaratwork said:
Ghost peppers... "chocolate" Ghost peppers...

IS your tongue made of tanned hide?? Bhut Jolokia is what we're talking about here, right? What are you planning to do with these, make elephant bombs or some kind of fiendish capsaicin extract?

Rhody... fast bikes and bhut jolokia... you definitely appreciate the edges of a safe life. :bugeye: On the other hand, your cat is ADORABLE.

nismara,

I see you have detected a pattern here, however, you missed two more interests of mine, particle physics, the ramping to 7 TEV collisions of heavy ions at the LHC and discoveries that may change our world in undreamed of ways, and the study of the brain (a 25+ year hobby of mine), learning, disease, and implications of new measurement technologies in regimes of increasingly smaller time intervals (I have some ideas brewing that I have been thinking about for a long time, and may share someday in the not too distant future) that may reveal to those clever enough to look for them, underpinning laws of physics not yet dreamed of.

As for Luna, she is a good cat, a true friend. Thanks for the thumbs up...

Rhody... :cool:

rhody said:
nismara,

I see you have detected a pattern here, however, you missed two more interests of mine, particle physics, the ramping to 7 TEV collisions of heavy ions at the LHC and discoveries that may change our world in undreamed of ways, and the study of the brain (a 25+ year hobby of mine), learning, disease, and implications of new measurement technologies in regimes of increasingly smaller time intervals (I have some ideas brewing that I have been thinking about for a long time, and may share someday in the not too distant future) that may reveal to those clever enough to look for them, underpinning laws of physics not yet dreamed of.

As for Luna, she is a good cat, a true friend. Thanks for the thumbs up...

Rhody... :cool:

Well, she's cleary a sweetheart, and I'm aware of your other posts... I just really enjoy teasing you on this point! :wink: I don't think you're one-dimensional: you're at LEAST 3+1, and probably imbedded in a Brane! :biggrin:

Sorry... I'm in one of those odd moods. The bottom line is that I was above all, kidding. Bhut Jolokia can have a profound heating effect in food without significantly altering flavor. As you've gone for the black variety, I'm guessing you want to dry them to bring out some flavor?

nismaratwork said:
Bhut Jolokia is what we're talking about here, right? What are you planning to do with these, make elephant bombs or some kind of fiendish capsaicin extract?

Watch out. The Brits also play this game...

"I actually ate one yesterday. It was one I'd had frozen from last year - so I thought it wouldn't be as hot as if it was fresh - and I thought I'd try it.

"It was all a bit worrying. The burn on my tongue lasted half an hour and the effects went on and on. At one point I was doubled over in pain and thinking about ringing the hospital.

"The worst was over by 11 o'clock, but it wasn't funny."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12505344

Grow baby grow !

and...

Keeper of the plants...

Self explanatory...

Rhody... out... :wink:

P.S. Luna's nibbling lower left, plant is none the worse for wear though...

Attachments

• grow baby grow.JPG
    grow baby grow.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 359
  • keeper of the plants.JPG
    keeper of the plants.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 362
rhody said:
Grow baby grow !

and...

Keeper of the plants...

Self explanatory...

Rhody... out... :wink:

P.S. Luna's nibbling lower left, plant is none the worse for wear though...

Your cat is so adorable... that face, and those eyes!

Thanks,

I keep bringing her back because of the appreciation comments others have made. Maybe that's why Siamese is the only breed of cat I have ever owned, something about the blending of the fur black to light brown, contrasted with those cobalt blue eyes, you never forget an animal like that once you shared your life with them.

Rhody...

rhody said:
Thanks,

I keep bringing her back because of the appreciation comments others have made. Maybe that's why Siamese is the only breed of cat I have ever owned, something about the blending of the fur black to light brown, contrasted with those cobalt blue eyes, you never forget an animal like that once you shared your life with them.

Rhody...

I'm a complete softie for pretty much anything that isn't human, and while I'm definitely a "dog person", cats are amazing. Truly, they're miniature "big cats", in behavior, attitude, intelligence, and manners. It's nothing short of astounding to see such a beautiful animal just being mellow; the appeal is instant.

I'd add, the only 2 cat breeds I ever remember (probably because they're my favorite): Siamese, and Russian Blues.

Luna is something though... cute little cheeks too. :biggrin: Oh... and purring is pretty good stuff... nothing beats that instant feedback.

nismaratwork said:
I'm a complete softie for pretty much anything that isn't human, and while I'm definitely a "dog person", cats are amazing. Truly, they're miniature "big cats", in behavior, attitude, intelligence, and manners. It's nothing short of astounding to see such a beautiful animal just being mellow; the appeal is instant.

I'd add, the only 2 cat breeds I ever remember (probably because they're my favorite): Siamese, and Russian Blues.

Luna is something though... cute little cheeks too. :biggrin: Oh... and purring is pretty good stuff... nothing beats that instant feedback.

Purring is nice, and head butts are awesome, too.

nismaratwork said:
You should hear Duke's mumbly snoring, especially when he throws in little muted sleep-barks. I should make a recording of him and sell it as a sleep-aid. When he comes to the bedroom and starts snoring on his dog-bed on the floor next to me, it's better than white noise.

turbo-1 said:
You should hear Duke's mumbly snoring, especially when he throws in little muted sleep-barks. I should make a recording of him and sell it as a sleep-aid. When he comes to the bedroom and starts snoring on his dog-bed on the floor next to me, it's better than white noise.

Awwww... :biggrin: I had a rescued spaniel who did a very similar thing... she had no idea that she was tiny! Dogs... perfect creatures except that they break our hearts.

nismaratwork said:
Awwww... :biggrin: I had a rescued spaniel who did a very similar thing... she had no idea that she was tiny! Dogs... perfect creatures except that they break our hearts.
They don't break our hearts. They steal it, and when they pass on, we don't get that back. A lesson in being human. :!)

It's easy to be sad and depressed. It's better to reflect on the good times and heal. I am so glad that we rescued Duke from the shelter and gave him a loving home. His happiness is our reward.

turbo-1 said:
They don't break our hearts. They steal it, and when they pass on, we don't get that back. A lesson in being human. :!)

It's easy to be sad and depressed. It's better to reflect on the good times and heal. I am so glad that we rescued Duke from the shelter and gave him a loving home. His happiness is our reward.

Indeed, and there is nothing better than a rescue dog; my family has a multi-generational history of dogs following us home. Good pups.

nismaratwork said:

Pepper comments first, my plants stem widths are about one half the size of a Q-Tip so I decided it was time to "harden them" by running a fan a few feet away over the tops of the leaves to rustle them stimulating stem thickness a few hours every day. Will see if it works or not.

nismara,

Funny, you mention her purring, which she does, but it is so soft you have to have your ear next to her head to hear it. Another trait these cats have is that they will follow you from room to room and like to sit and watch your daily routine. She likes her belly rubbed and will let you know when it is too much by batting you away, and is not a lap cat by any means, but if you ignore her she will climb on the desk and rub her body against whatever part you make available. She does this repeatedly for a few minutes or longer if you have been away for awhile, sometimes when she does this you can actually hear her purr, but only when she does this back and forth dance. Who knows may she is trying to establish her scent on me, I am no cat expert, but it seems to make sense.

Rhody... :wink:

rhody said:
Pepper comments first, my plants stem widths are about one half the size of a Q-Tip so I decided it was time to "harden them" by running a fan a few feet away over the tops of the leaves to rustle them stimulating stem thickness a few hours every day. Will see if it works or not.

nismara,

Funny, you mention her purring, which she does, but it is so soft you have to have your ear next to her head to hear it. Another trait these cats have is that they will follow you from room to room and like to sit and watch your daily routine. She likes her belly rubbed and will let you know when it is too much by batting you away, and is not a lap cat by any means, but if you ignore her she will climb on the desk and rub her body against whatever part you make available. She does this repeatedly for a few minutes or longer if you have been away for awhile, sometimes when she does this you can actually hear her purr, but only when she does this back and forth dance. Who knows may she is trying to establish her scent on me, I am no cat expert, but it seems to make sense.

Yep, she's scent-marking you, and probably just being affectionate. Remember, cats are not necessarily solitary... Luna sounds like such a sweetie!

That, or you're made of catnip. :wink:

Rhody I had a nightmare about your plants. There was a sisnister group that was trying to find a *super fertilizer* for your peppers. I was kidnapped and forced to do experiments, I assume because of my experience with growing seedlings, cuttings, and grafting. :tongue2:

Anyway a crazy dream, but the stuff was amazing, the seeds sprouted within a few hours, leaves by night, blooming the next day... then I woke up.

Evo said:
Rhody I had a nightmare about your plants. There was a sisnister group that was trying to find a *super fertilizer* for your peppers. I was kidnapped and forced to do experiments, I assume because of my experience with growing seedlings, cuttings, and grafting. :tongue2:

Anyway a crazy dream, but the stuff was amazing, the seeds sprouted within a few hours, leaves by night, blooming the next day... then I woke up.

Good!...

If you eat Bhut Jolokia in your dreams... you never wake. GHOST PEPPERS! *jazz hands* :wink:

nismaratwork said:
Good!...

If you eat Bhut Jolokia in your dreams... you never wake. GHOST PEPPERS! *jazz hands* :wink:
Ooooooh! You BAD!

turbo-1 said:
Ooooooh! You BAD!

BINGO! :biggrin:

rhody said:
Another trait these cats have is that they will follow you from room to room and like to sit and watch your daily routine. She likes her belly rubbed and will let you know when it is too much by batting you away, and is not a lap cat by any means, but if you ignore her she will climb on the desk and rub her body against whatever part you make available. She does this repeatedly for a few minutes or longer if you have been away for awhile, sometimes when she does this you can actually hear her purr, but only when she does this back and forth dance. Who knows may she is trying to establish her scent on me, I am no cat expert, but it seems to make sense.

Sounds exactly like my best friend's siamese he had while growing up, except my friend's cat was a might meaner. She hissed at all strangers.

Evo said:

Evo,

In this situation, I can't help but respond in a way I have seen you do with other subjects, both serious and trivial...

Rot row... (excuse the spelling, but hopefully you get the meaning, lol)

On a serious note: To date I have not been able to eat one quarter of one of these without resorting to cold water/milk, etc... to break up the slow burning (waxing and waning) sensation lasting ten minutes or more. I hope to be able to find a way to do so, and in so doing learn a way to control peripheral nerve hotness (if that is the correct term for it). I am always amazed at the various reactions from others, from extreme discomfort to a mere mild discomfort (or denial of it). It makes me wonder how the nervous system is able to adapt and the "heat index" or the perception of it is muted somewhat in some, more important how does this happen, and does dealing with hotness develop slowly over time. I want to discover if there is a component of mind over matter in dealing with this, and if I can somehow tap it to remove myself from the discomfort period, causing pain suppressing endorphins to be released on demand. Now that would be really cool, and useful in other situations where a similar pain is involved.

Rhody... o:)

P.S. I am not evil because I grow ghost peppers. I am not evil because I grow ghost peppers... repeat 100 times...

rhody said:
Evo,

In this situation, I can't help but respond in a way I have seen you do with other subjects, both serious and trivial...

Rot row... (excuse the spelling, but hopefully you get the meaning, lol)

On a serious note: To date I have not been able to eat one quarter of one of these without resorting to cold water/milk, etc... to break up the slow burning (waxing and waning) sensation lasting ten minutes or more. I hope to be able to find a way to do so, and in so doing learn a way to control peripheral nerve hotness (if that is the correct term for it). I am always amazed at the various reactions from others, from extreme discomfort to a mere mild discomfort (or denial of it). It makes me wonder how the nervous system is able to adapt and the "heat index" or the perception of it is muted somewhat in some, more important how does this happen, and does dealing with hotness develop slowly over time. I want to discover if there is a component of mind over matter in dealing with this, and if I can somehow tap it to remove myself from the discomfort period, causing pain suppressing endorphins to be released on demand. Now that would be really cool, and useful in other situations where a similar pain is involved.

Rhody... o:)

P.S. I am not evil because I grow ghost peppers. I am not evil because I grow ghost peppers... repeat 100 times...

"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster... grow not Bhut Jolokia, lest you BUUUUUURRRRNNN!'"

That's how it goes... right? :wink:

Kidding aside, you can do amazing thing with them, but... generally as a means of imparting enormous spice without altering flavor profiles. Read: KILLER CHILI.

Oh um... from personal experience: warm cream-cheese. No, it's not fun, but it's thick and coating and it's far better than milk when dealing with 'The Adversary'. :biggrin:

mugaliens said:
Sounds exactly like my best friend's siamese he had while growing up, except my friend's cat was a might meaner. She hissed at all strangers.

mugs,

Not this cat, she hears or evens a vacuum cleaner or a stranger and bolts out of the room. If the stranger stays away see eventually will come to investigate, however. The only time she will raise her claws is if you are playing with her and she has had enough, but gives a warning before she will scratch, she gets that bug-eyed :bugeye: look.

When a was a kid and had a male Siamese, Gabe, he would sit in the palm of your hand (with his butt and tail folded under) like a Christmas ornament for a long time, and meow in protest, but make no attempt to escape, which I found odd, but that was his personality, he would hiss at strangers too.

Rhody...

Well I just experienced a first, had a baby ghost pepper, just a bit bigger than a pea, but, fully expecting it to be hot as hell as usual, I shared half of it with Rhody child's boyfriend, and guess what ? If was sort of sweet with no hotness ! I am guessing that until the seeds begin to form that the capsaicin does not take root in the pepper. The last small one I ate about three times the size of a pea was very hot and it had seeds in it, not too many, but a few, and the skin and the seeds were very hot, so I learned something I didn't know about these peppers, there is a period when small when they develop their hotness. Pretty cool.

Rhody...

My wife has taken some bread with included chilies to neighbors. One of the neighbors was ecstatic.

My wife has been experimenting with the quantities of chilies, roasted tomatoes, rosemary, and roasted garlic in her herb bread recipe. The old guy next door brought his plow truck over on Saturday (and his wife came over to help shovel) to clear the end of the driveway so my wife could her car get in and out of here. The batch of seasoned herb bread she made Saturday was pretty "snarly" in terms of heat, but he was thrilled. His wife and mother-in-law don't like real spicy stuff so he doesn't get much of it. The ladies got traditional plain French bread, so the hot stuff is all his.

There's a new "hottest" chili. The Trinidad Scorpion Butch T. No word (yet) how well they can tolerate cold weather.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20110412/od_yblog_upshot/new-chili-pepper-crowned-worlds-hottest;_ylt=Au6ptaquHyu4X_njG.Ys2Fus0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTNlY2IyaWpvBGFzc2V0A3libG9nX3Vwc2hvdC8yMDExMDQxMi9uZXctY2hpbGktcGVwcGVyLWNyb3duZWQtd29ybGRzLWhvdHRlc3QEcG9zAzQEc2VjA3luX21vc3RfcG9wdWxhcgRzbGsDbmV3Y2hpbGlwZXBw

Last edited by a moderator:
turbo-1 said:
There's a new "hottest" chili. The Trinidad Scorpion Butch T. No word (yet) how well they can tolerate cold weather.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20110412/od_yblog_upshot/new-chili-pepper-crowned-worlds-hottest;_ylt=Au6ptaquHyu4X_njG.Ys2Fus0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTNlY2IyaWpvBGFzc2V0A3libG9nX3Vwc2hvdC8yMDExMDQxMi9uZXctY2hpbGktcGVwcGVyLWNyb3duZWQtd29ybGRzLWhvdHRlc3QEcG9zAzQEc2VjA3luX21vc3RfcG9wdWxhcgRzbGsDbmV3Y2hpbGlwZXBw
Oh, that's scary. They look similar to peter peppers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll bet Rhody is going to be on the lookout for seeds, now.