What are some educational activities to do in San Diego?

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help in planning an educational vacation for her and her husband. They usually take a few extra days after a work conference to explore the area and the person typically goes on their own scientific/history-like adventures while her husband attends the conference. They mention past trips to various places and their upcoming trip to San Diego. They are looking for suggestions on local activities and places to visit, including those related to Native American and Mexican-California history, missions, and military history. Suggestions include the San Diego Zoo, Sea World, a trip to Tijuana, tours of ships and military facilities, brunch at Hotel Del Coronado, and exploring Balboa Park. They also
mmeduchatelet
Hello~I’m an Atlanta newby to this forum, and am looking for help in planning an educational vacation for my husband and me. We’re both 60(+/-), and yearly we must attend a 4-day work related conference that’s held in different parts of the country. We always get a rental car and tack on a few extra days for exploring. And since my husband is actually the one required to attend, I usually duck out of the “ladies program” and go on a juicy scientific/history-like safari of my own.
For example:
Vermont Robert Frost home/grave, whale watching, Boston history stuff
Vegas (yuck) Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon south rim
Washington St. Sunset Cone Crater, Mt. St. Helens, whale watching
Whistler, BC Zip-lining, San Juan Islands, Seattle
Phoenix Challenger Space Center, Grand Canyon north rim, Anasazi culture
Chicago FermiLab, Field Museum, Museum of Science & Industry
(I also just finished NASA’s Space Camp - what a hoot!)
So the trip this year is scheduled for Sept in San Diego, and I’m dreading the struggle to
find information. You wouldn’t think it would be that hard to do, but I don’t even know
the appropriate search terms to use! Any ideas you guys might have would be greatly
appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
mmeduchatelet said:
Hello~I’m an Atlanta newby to this forum, and am looking for help in planning an educational vacation for my husband and me. We’re both 60(+/-), and yearly we must attend a 4-day work related conference that’s held in different parts of the country. We always get a rental car and tack on a few extra days for exploring. And since my husband is actually the one required to attend, I usually duck out of the “ladies program” and go on a juicy scientific/history-like safari of my own.
For example:
Vermont Robert Frost home/grave, whale watching, Boston history stuff
Vegas (yuck) Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon south rim
Washington St. Sunset Cone Crater, Mt. St. Helens, whale watching
Whistler, BC Zip-lining, San Juan Islands, Seattle
Phoenix Challenger Space Center, Grand Canyon north rim, Anasazi culture
Chicago FermiLab, Field Museum, Museum of Science & Industry
(I also just finished NASA’s Space Camp - what a hoot!)
So the trip this year is scheduled for Sept in San Diego, and I’m dreading the struggle to
find information. You wouldn’t think it would be that hard to do, but I don’t even know
the appropriate search terms to use! Any ideas you guys might have would be greatly
appreciated.

Jump in a car and drive across the continent with no special plans.

Don't listen to dan, lots of great things to do around San Diego, some "respectable" members will give you some suggestions.

Evo said:
Don't listen to dan, lots of great things to do around San Diego, some "respectable" members will give you some suggestions.

Evo, out of curiosity, what makes you think they'll got more from a planned journey than from a "free for all" one ? In the end, drifting across a continent, socializing in places and visit local objectives you learn from locals is *extremely* rewarding :P The best education IMO does not comes from visiting a famous battlefield. No ghosts will rise to tell you the story. But if you are lucky you'll find humans to tell you stories while you travel. Some real, some legend. And that's the charm. Interaction and personal exploration. Else you can stay home and read a history book and you'll get more enlighten in history than visiting 10001 places. At least this is my not so humble opinion. Drift across the continent. Interact and discover things different from you. :devil:

The San Diego Zoo is [or was] considered to be one of the best. And of course there is Sea World.

Keep in mind:
Native American history
Mexican-California history
Missions
Military history

I would suggest a day trip across the border to Tijuana, but I don't know if that is safe to do these days. If it does sound okay, there is a tram you can take.

Tours of ships and military facilities

A must do if you can: Brunch at the Hotel Del Coronado, on Coronado Island.

A google of San Diego history provides some specifics
http://www.google.com/search?source...&rlz=1T4DGUS_enUS313US313&q=San+Diego+history

If you get a chance to visit Dog Beach, in Ocean Beach, take a dip for me. A long time ago, I lived thirty steps or so from the sand. At the time the rent was pretty reasonable. Today, I doubt you could touch my little cottage for less than a $million.

Last edited:
DanP said:
Evo, out of curiosity, what makes you think they'll got more from a planned journey than from a "free for all" one ? In the end, drifting across a continent, socializing in places and visit local objectives you learn from locals is *extremely* rewarding :P The best education IMO does not comes from visiting a famous battlefield. No ghosts will rise to tell you the story. But if you are lucky you'll find humans to tell you stories while you travel. Some real, some legend. And that's the charm. Interaction and personal exploration. Else you can stay home and read a history book and you'll get more enlighten in history than visiting 10001 places. At least this is my not so humble opinion. Drift across the continent. Interact and discover things different from you. :devil:
She's looking for local things to do while her husband is in town.

Evo said:
She's looking for local things to do while her husband is in town.

Oh yeah, you are right. My bad.

OP take your husband and drive across the continent after conference:P

I would hop on the Amtrak and go up to see San Juan Capistrano or San Clemente. The mission at SJC is an especially nice tour.

What are some educational activities to do in San Diego?

There are many educational activities to do in San Diego, including visiting museums, exploring the natural environment, attending educational events and workshops, and participating in cultural experiences.

What museums can I visit in San Diego?

Some popular museums in San Diego include the San Diego Natural History Museum, the USS Midway Museum, the San Diego Museum of Art, and the San Diego Air & Space Museum.

What natural areas can I explore in San Diego?

San Diego has a diverse range of natural areas to explore, such as Balboa Park, Torrey Pines State Natural Reserve, Cabrillo National Monument, and the San Diego Zoo Safari Park.

Are there any educational events or workshops in San Diego?

Yes, there are many educational events and workshops in San Diego, including science and technology conferences, art and cultural festivals, and educational workshops at museums and other institutions.

What are some cultural experiences I can have in San Diego?

You can experience the rich cultural diversity of San Diego by visiting historic sites, attending cultural festivals and events, trying different cuisines, and participating in cultural workshops and classes.

Back