Peeing on Toilet Bowl: Equal and Opposite Effects?

• Thread starter MrSandman
  • Start date
In summary, the lass claims that men who pee on the side of the toilet bowl often result in spray coming up out of the bowl. She also believes that this is due to the Third Law of Motion and that the simplest solution is for the man to take his turn scrubbing.
MrSandman
Hi all,

having a conversation with a lass who says that men peeing on the side of the toilet bowl results in spray coming up out of the bowl. I can imagine this beening the case if you pee straight into the water but if your stream hits the steep side of the bowl surely most errant drops will be sent downwars?

Cheers

Steve

Physics news on Phys.org
They should design them with one region specifically designed to contain the spray.

And then paint that region with a bulls-eye!

What happens if somebody's not a crack shot?

This is due to Newton's Third Law of motion
For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. ... , this was Newton's third law of motion.

Newton made laws about this too? He was so much ahead of his time.

Yes. he was a great scientist.

MrSandman said:
Hi all,

having a conversation with a lass who says that men peeing on the side of the toilet bowl results in spray coming up out of the bowl. I can imagine this beening the case if you pee straight into the water but if your stream hits the steep side of the bowl surely most errant drops will be sent downwars?

Cheers

Steve
Hi, Steve

I believe the cause of the lass' complaint is sheer jealousy.

Enjoy your next pee in peace,

Zooby

I want to put a urinal in my house. I had a chance to buy an antique one--it was dated, I think 1907, weighted about 200-250 lbs, and about 5 ft tall --a little too much--I like antiques; but, too bad, that one was a hair too big.

___________-

I'm looking for an old one --like Duchamp entered in the 1913 Armory show? (the art period time that made the world aware of Cubism, Dadaism, and Futurism)

http://www.geocities.com/allon_art/duchamp_fountain.jpg​

I looked --he did this in 1917 not 1913

----------------------

"In December 2004, Duchamp's Fountain was voted the most influential artwork of the 20th century by 500 selected British artworld professionals"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fountain_(Duchamp )

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never seen a toilet with a perfectly straight, uniform surface to be able to predict what direction anything would go if it hit that surface. Though, a stream of any liquid is also not going to all follow the same trajectory that a single ping-pong ball would follow, because the rest of the stream is in the way. Take a garden hose and aim it at an angled surface and you'll see all the water does not head in the same direction, it sprays in many directions.

Anyway, cutting to the chase, I believe she's trying to inform you that you're splashing out of the toilet and you need to take your turn scrubbing. Afterall, when you're done, there's either something splashed out of the bowl or not, and this is not too hard to identify and clean if it's present. Keep a bowl brush and bottle of toilet cleaner next to the sink and give it a swish every few uses, and I bet she'll stop arguing with you about the trajectory of your urine stream. :wink:

I think you're right, MB----chaos theory with a splash of Jackson Pollack

rewebster said:
That would explain Jackson Pollock paintings. :yuck:

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/2842/johnflylr7.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Ivan,

That is exactly what I was talking about! I note that the fly is somewhat off-center.

DaleSpam said:
Hey Ivan,

That is exactly what I was talking about! I note that the fly is somewhat off-center.

I think that the fly is off-center so it does not look like a complete setup.

i pee on the side so that it rebounds into the urinal.

early on in my life i discovered that when i peed in a urinal my pants would be covered in urine. this made me wary of peeing in urinals. then i took physics, discovered conservation of momentum and solved my problem.

rewebster said:

Evo said:
That would explain Jackson Pollock paintings. :yuck:

:yuck: I don't really want Jackson Pollock's splashes if that's what they are! :bugeye: :yuck:

DaleSpam said:
Hey Ivan,

Math Jeans said:
I think that the fly is off-center so it does not look like a complete setup.

Maybe the fly is off center to take into account the average guy's ability to aim. :biggrin: :devil:

Moonbear said:
Maybe the fly is off center to take into account the average guy's ability to aim. :biggrin: :devil:

all we (men) need now is, that if we keep the stream on the fly, a balloon in the room inflates and --the first one that gets the balloon to pop, wins the prize

rewebster said:
all we (men) need now is, that if we keep the stream on the fly, a balloon in the room inflates and --the first one that gets the balloon to pop, wins the prize

:rofl: XD

Toilet bowls and urinals are different objects, and need separate treatments. Sadly, I don't know if any such Unified Theory exists.

This seems have opened a floodgate, or rather a peegate, of imagination.

The unified solution requires the use of a pee-brane.

Ivan Seeking said:
The unified solution requires the use of a pee-brane.

:rofl: ...:uhh: I mean...<groan!> :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
[Picture of a urinal with a painted fly.]
Anyone noticed a fly on certain web ads?

MrSandman said:
Hi all,

Cheers

Steve

If you pee on the concave part of the bowl, there shouldn't be spray coming out of the bowl. If you pee into the water in the bowl, there should definitely be spray and it could conceivably reach higher than the edge of the bowl.

In fact, that's the purpose of the fly on the back of the urinal that Ivan noted. If you aim above the water in the bottom of the urinal, there shouldn't be any back spray (it doesn't matter exactly where you aim if the urinal has a parabolic shape - just that you not pee into the water).

By the way, if you go for the cheap PVC pipes, there's another reason not to aim for the water (or to aim for the water, depending on your attitude). Plastic PVC pipes tend to amplify the sound of pee into a toilet bowl (while the cast iron pipes subdue the sound).

There is one problem with the fly in the urinal that the designers failed to mention. You sometimes have live flies in restrooms. They're a lot harder to hit than a stationary fake fly.

live praying mantis are easier to hit---they don't move very quickly

BobG said:
There is one problem with the fly in the urinal that the designers failed to mention. You sometimes have live flies in restrooms. They're a lot harder to hit than a stationary fake fly.

I have to admit that I'm more intrigued by the psychology of the male of the species that ensures they will consistently opt to aim for the fly if they see one in the bowl.

Moonbear said:
I have to admit that I'm more intrigued by the psychology of the male of the species that ensures they will consistently opt to aim for the fly if they see one in the bowl.

We spent some time in The Netherlands and I've used those toilets. It is odd; the urge to hit that fly is very strong. I would equate it to the urge to swat a pesky fly... and my sense is that it is because you don't want it take off and land on you after sitting in a toilet. It's your basic first strike mentality! :biggrin:

The odd thing is that even after you know that it's not a real fly, the urge is still there.

Last edited:
Shooting star said:
What happens if somebody's not a crack shot?

Then they're a crap shot.

Ahh toilet related humour. :yuck:

Kurdt said:
Then they're a crap shot.

Ahh toilet related humour. :yuck:

Double yuck! Did you have to?

I'm not up to reading the messages in this thread. Has anyone mentioned the tin pie plate in the hopper to give male toddlers a target. They like the sound it makes so it helps to toilet train them.

I re-read this one, looking for Pollack----now, I can't get that Denver song out of my head with the 'Fly awaaaaaay' in it!

zoobyshoe said:
Hi, Steve

I believe the cause of the lass' complaint is sheer jealousy.

Enjoy your next pee in peace,

Zooby

yes, yes i think this is a vary accurate observation. it explains why women have such unrealistically high expectations for the bathroom usage of men.

Then there are women like W with no sex drive whatsoever, who wonder why there are urine stains on the ceiling... :rolleyes:

1. Why does peeing on the toilet bowl create an equal and opposite effect?

The equal and opposite effect is created by Newton's third law of motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. When urine is expelled from the body, it creates a force that pushes against the toilet bowl, causing it to move in the opposite direction with an equal force.

2. Does the amount of force used to pee affect the equal and opposite effect?

Yes, the amount of force used to pee can affect the equal and opposite effect. The greater the force, the greater the reaction from the toilet bowl. This is why a stronger stream of urine can cause the toilet bowl to move more than a weaker stream.

3. Why does the toilet bowl move more when peeing while standing compared to sitting?

When peeing while standing, the body is positioned higher above the toilet bowl, allowing for a greater distance between the body and the toilet bowl. This greater distance creates a longer lever arm, resulting in a greater torque and therefore a greater movement of the toilet bowl.

4. Is there a difference in the equal and opposite effect between men and women?

Generally, there is no significant difference in the equal and opposite effect between men and women. However, factors such as body weight, force of urine stream, and positioning on the toilet can affect the magnitude of the equal and opposite effect for both men and women.

5. Can the equal and opposite effect be used to measure the force of urine stream?

Yes, the equal and opposite effect can be used to estimate the force of urine stream. By measuring the distance and speed of the toilet bowl movement, the force of the urine stream can be calculated using Newton's second law of motion, which states that force equals mass times acceleration.