Can a Modified Helicopter Double as an Airboat?

In summary, the Watercopter V. 2.1 is a modified helicopter that has raft instead of wheels and a screw axis that can tilt. This machine can both fly and travel on the water surface.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Overlimit
Hello everybody!

Let me share one of my ideas with you!

This is a modified helicopter. It has raft instead of wheels. Its screw axis can tilt. So may be this machine can both fly and travel on the water surface.

Please comment.

Attachments

• watercopter.JPG
    watercopter.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 394
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Suggest you search the term "airboat".

Likes 1 person
Upper screw vanes can rotate 180 deg. in order to force air to go other side.
Watercopter is a name I invented for this transformer.

Please vote!

Couldn't give a qualitative comment based on the drawing/description provided. However, you may wish to research the development of the modern helicopter design. I kind of remember something about a grave, inherent instability issue until the rotors were allowed to pivot in relation to the shaft.
One added point: if you were to use this kind of like a helicopter but in contact with water, the source of thrust will not be on the same plane as the drag (if I understand your drawing correctly). The result would be an induced pitching moment that would push the nose downward. Imagine someone on a skateboard with a fan on their back. All but small amounts of thrust would most likely result in a 'faceplant'.
For surface craft, the aforementioned airboat is good because it will glide over most surface level obstacles.
For aircraft, remember "That which goes up, will come down at 9.9m/sec^2, or faster." You may think about leaving such designs up to the 'Big Guys'. Getting hurt is no fun (ask me how I know...), hurting someone else is far worse.

Likes 1 person
Many thanks for your comments, Burnerjack. I think I understood pitching moment problem. This hybrid might be very unstable.

You're very welcome. BTW, while not new nor a helicopter, for near surface travel you may want to investigate the Russian Ekranoplan. This is a ground effect vehicle that has been scaled down to something like 4m wingspan with small gas engine. While not new, you may find it educational and exciting. Good luck and stay safe.

Likes 1 person

Attachments

• WCv21.JPG
    WCv21.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 411
Welcome to the PF, Overlimit.

We do not generally allow polls in the technical forums, so I've closed your poll. Keep on thinking up creative ideas! :smile:

Likes 1 person
Looks like an airboat to me. I guess all I can add is "if the drawing board shows no significant flaws, time to move to the scale model design phase." Good luck. Remember, if knowledge is gained, there are no 'failed' experiments.

Likes 1 person

1. What is a modified helicopter idea?

A modified helicopter idea refers to the concept of making changes or improvements to existing helicopter designs in order to improve performance, efficiency, or functionality. It may involve incorporating new technologies, altering the physical structure, or implementing new features.

2. What are the potential benefits of a modified helicopter?

The potential benefits of a modified helicopter include increased speed, improved fuel efficiency, enhanced maneuverability, and expanded capabilities. These modifications could also lead to cost savings, increased safety, and better overall performance.

3. How does a modified helicopter differ from a traditional helicopter?

A modified helicopter differs from a traditional helicopter in that it has undergone changes or improvements to its design or functionality. These modifications could be minor or significant, depending on the specific idea. Traditional helicopters are typically built according to a standard design and may not have any significant modifications.

4. Who would benefit from a modified helicopter?

A modified helicopter could potentially benefit various industries and applications, such as military operations, emergency medical services, search and rescue, transportation, and agriculture. It could also benefit individuals who use helicopters for personal or recreational purposes.

5. What challenges are involved in implementing a modified helicopter idea?

Implementing a modified helicopter idea may involve overcoming several challenges, such as obtaining research and development funding, ensuring safety and regulatory compliance, and conducting thorough testing and evaluations. It may also require collaboration with experts in various fields, including engineering, aviation, and aerodynamics.