Can an aeronautical engineer specialize in Robotics or AI ?

In summary, the speaker is a student in Argentina studying aeronautical engineering and is interested in working with drones and programming algorithms for controlling airplanes. They are unsure if an aeronautical engineer can study robotics or artificial intelligence for this type of work and are seeking advice on whether a Master's or Ph.D. is necessary. They are also looking for resources to gain training and experience in control theory, computer programming, and electronics.
Mdac_95
Hello, first of all, sorry for my bad English.. I'm taking English courses to improve it :)

I have a big question that nobody can answer yet..

I'm studying aeronautical engineering in Argentina, I love it, and I have very high grades, my university have a connection with the ISAE in Toulouse, so I could finish my studies there, that is a very good opportunity because in my country there isn't any company that produces aircraft's, almost all the aeronautical engineers go to France and only a few stay here and work for Renault, Toyota or Volkswagen.

But I want, to work with drones, specially in the area of programming algorithms that control the planes , I`ve studied python, and when I finished the course, realize that I want to do that for the rest of my life, the problem is that I love airplanes too, so I think that the best way of combine both is working with UAVS, I want to know if engineers that program those type of aircraft's are only Systems Engineers or can an aeronautical engineer study Robotics, or Artificial Intelligence for working in that? I don't know, a master or a PhD..
Because I think that a System Engineer can't programm an algorithm for an UAV without the knowledge of fluids mechanics, aerodynamics, etc,etc..

I can't do only one thing, I have to program algorithms FOR controlling airplanes, AI algorithms, its very interesting for me and I really want to work in that, all my life I love programming and planes too, (electronic too but i think is impossible to study everything)
and in Argentina, like I said there isn`t any aeronautical engineer, professor, or student that could answer to me, because here nobody work with that technology, or know about it.Thanks, and sorry for my bad English, I have a lot to improve yet.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can build on the content of the Aerospace Engineering degree to get what you want. I suggest you take formal classes in Control Theory. And then pursue advanced classes in Control Theory.

Perhaps you also need some training & experience in computer control applications, real-time programming (especially using advanced computer languages such as C/C++/C#), and electronics & electronics interfacing. But you can get this through informal methods, there are many free resources available on the internet.

Is a Master's / Ph.D. required? Not necessarily. That decision depends on what you want to do with your career.

1. Can an aeronautical engineer specialize in Robotics or AI?

Yes, an aeronautical engineer can specialize in Robotics or AI. Robotics and AI have become increasingly important in the aerospace industry, and many aeronautical engineers have started to focus on these areas.

2. What skills are necessary for an aeronautical engineer to specialize in Robotics or AI?

Some important skills for an aeronautical engineer to specialize in Robotics or AI include a strong understanding of mechanics, control systems, computer programming, and artificial intelligence algorithms. They also need to have excellent problem-solving and critical thinking skills.

3. Are there any specific courses or programs for aeronautical engineers to specialize in Robotics or AI?

Yes, there are several specialized courses and programs that focus on Robotics or AI in the aerospace industry. These include courses in control systems, machine learning, and robotics, as well as graduate programs in aerospace engineering with a focus on Robotics or AI.

4. How can specializing in Robotics or AI benefit an aeronautical engineer?

Specializing in Robotics or AI can provide numerous benefits for an aeronautical engineer, including expanding their knowledge and skillset, making them more competitive in the job market, and allowing them to work on cutting-edge projects in the aerospace industry.

5. Are there any challenges that aeronautical engineers may face when specializing in Robotics or AI?

One potential challenge for aeronautical engineers specializing in Robotics or AI is keeping up with the rapidly advancing technology in these fields. They may also face challenges in integrating Robotics or AI systems into traditional aerospace designs and processes.