Weight combination by percent

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the weight percent of sodium (Na) in the compound Na2S2O3. The compound is composed of two atoms of Na, two atoms of S, and three atoms of O. By using the mass of each element, one can calculate the total mass of the compound and determine the weight percent of Na, which in this case is 29%.
Richay
How on Earth do you do this?

What percent by weight of Na2S2O3 is Sodium (Na)? (Na, 23; S, 32; 0, 16)

Okay that looks confusing but. The "Na2S2O3" isn't suppose to be spelled like that. It's Na (then a 2 that is haflway beneath the number) And then you repeat with S (lower 2), O and lower 3. It's hard to explaina and i don't know what it's called.

But how do i solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I take it that the text in parentheses refers to the masses of each of the elements in the compound.

A good start would be to calculate the total mass of the compound, keeping in mind the fact that there are different numbers of each element in the compound (i.e. there are 2 sodium ions, etc.).

How do i calculate it though? I don't understand the 2,2,&3 that belong to Na,S,&O

Na2S2O3 means that the given molecule/unit (Sodium thiosulfate) is composed of two atoms of Na, two atoms of S, and three atoms of O.

By looking at a periodic table (or the values that are given to you) you can realize that one mole of Na has a mass of 23 grams. One mole of S has a mass of 32 grams. One mole of O has a mass of 16 grams.

Last edited:
Thanks.
I figured out it's 29%

1. What is weight combination by percent?

Weight combination by percent is a method used to determine the proportions of different components in a mixture based on their respective weights. It involves calculating the percentage of each component by dividing its weight by the total weight of the mixture.

2. How is weight combination by percent calculated?

To calculate weight combination by percent, you first need to determine the weight of each component in the mixture. Then, divide each component's weight by the total weight of the mixture and multiply by 100 to get the percentage for each component.

3. Why is weight combination by percent important in science?

Weight combination by percent is important in science because it allows scientists to accurately determine the composition of mixtures and solutions. This information is crucial in various fields such as chemistry, biology, and environmental science.

4. Can weight combination by percent be used for all types of mixtures?

Yes, weight combination by percent can be used for all types of mixtures as long as the individual components can be measured in terms of weight. This method is commonly used for solutions, alloys, and other types of mixtures.

5. What are some common applications of weight combination by percent?

Weight combination by percent is commonly used in various industries such as food and beverage, pharmaceuticals, and manufacturing. It is also used in research and development to determine the composition of different substances and mixtures.