Accuracy of Current and Voltage Measurements

In summary: How much is inserted for DC range current measurements? In summary, current measurements are more accurate than voltage measurements.
mantillab
In general, are the measurements of current or voltage more accurate?

From our lab experiments, it seems that voltage is more accurate. I'm curious as to why this is the case.

My guess is that because current itself is the measurement of the flow of the electric charges it would be more likely to fluctuate due to external forces or changes in the environment than the voltage (the difference of the electric potential between two points of a circuit) would?

Physics news on Phys.org
In general, all you can measure is voltage. To measure current, we generally convert it to a voltage by running it through a known resistance. This is an invasive measurement, because you need to add series resistance to the circuit to measure the current. This often can change the current, so you will generally use as small a resistance as possible for the measurement. But this makes the measurement less accurate, so in making a current measurement, there is often a tradeoff between the invasiveness of the measurement, and its accuracy.

Does that make sense? Can you think of ways that you could measure the current in a less invasive way? Do you think you can make less invasive measurements better on AC or DC currents?

Thanks! I appreciate the response. Is an ammeter more accurate than a multimeter, or are they the same? Would measurement of DC currents be more accurate because they do not alternate like AC currents do?

mantillab said:
Thanks! I appreciate the response. Is an ammeter more accurate than a multimeter, or are they the same? Would measurement of DC currents be more accurate because they do not alternate like AC currents do?

By ammeter, I think you're referring to a moving coil galvanometer, correct?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanometer

I honestly don't know how accurate they are, in comparison to inserting a series resistance and measuring the votage drop. Sounds like an interesting question that you could spend a little time reading about on the web -- a refined google search will probably get you some good websites to check out.

BTW, here's a good experiment to try the next time you're in the lab. Use 2 DVMs, and use one to measure the series resistance that the other DVM inserts in-circuit for various current measurement ranges. How much resistance is inserted for mA range current measurements? How much is inserted for A range current measurements?

1. What is the difference between accuracy and precision in current and voltage measurements?

The accuracy of a measurement refers to how close it is to the true value, while precision refers to how reproducible the measurement is. In current and voltage measurements, accuracy is important for ensuring the correct value is being measured, while precision is important for consistency and detecting small changes in the measured values.

2. How is accuracy determined in current and voltage measurements?

Accuracy is determined by comparing the measured values to a known standard or reference value. In current and voltage measurements, this can be done using calibrated equipment and following established measurement procedures. The accuracy of a measurement can also be affected by factors such as environmental conditions and instrument limitations.

3. What are the common sources of error in current and voltage measurements?

Some common sources of error in current and voltage measurements include instrument limitations, environmental factors such as temperature and humidity, and human error. It is important to identify and minimize these sources of error in order to ensure accurate measurements.

4. How can I improve the accuracy of my current and voltage measurements?

To improve the accuracy of your current and voltage measurements, you can use calibrated equipment, follow established measurement procedures, and minimize sources of error. Additionally, regularly calibrating and maintaining your equipment can help ensure accurate measurements over time.

5. How do I know if my current and voltage measurements are accurate enough?

The level of accuracy required for current and voltage measurements will depend on the specific application and its requirements. It is important to consult relevant standards and guidelines to determine the appropriate level of accuracy for your measurements. Additionally, regularly calibrating and checking your equipment can help ensure accurate measurements within the required range.