How to find the antiderivative of cot(x)

In summary, the conversation is about finding the second derivative of f^2(x). In order to do so, the user needs to use the chain rule and then the product rule. When doing this problem for the second time, the user makes a mistake and uses the wrong rule. The user is then unable to solve the equation for y.
sonofjohn
IM000001.jpg

5) As you can see ln(sin(1)) +1/ln.5 does not yield one of the above answers. Can someone tell me where I went wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org

I think you made a mistake when finding C.
C should be equal to 1-ln(.5) not 1/ln(.5).
The answer should be the last one (E).

Thanks for the help, didn't see that.

Does anyone have an idea as to how to figure 6 out? I don't believe I have ever tried one of those problems.

You should try finding out what is the second derivative of [f^2(x)].
When you're done, you just plug in the number 3 and it is easy to find out what's the answer.

isn't the second derivative of f^2x = 2?

No, consider [f^2(x)]=[f(x)]^2
you know that (u^m)'=m (u^(m-1)) u' right?
So it's the same thing for u=f(x) and m=2.

Can you try it and see what you get when you do it twice?

sonofjohn said:
isn't the second derivative of f^2x = 2?

Certainly not. Let [tex]f(x) = x^3[/tex], then [tex]f^{2}(x) = x^6[/tex]. Still think your rule works?

I can't see how to take the second derivative of f^2(x). Am I supposed to use the previous f(3) = 2 and ect for this? I have never actually learned how.

Use the chain rule, if I told you to differentiate [sin(x)]^2 what would you do?

so we start with

f(x)^2
2f(x)
and then what?

No, that's not it. Try again :) You are saying if we define f(x) = sin(x) then f^(2)(x) = sin^2(x) and you are saying derivative of f^(2)(x) is 2*sin(x)? You know that's not true...

could I possibly multiply them and get f(2x^2)?

[f(x)^2]'= 2f(x)*f '(x)
you're not using the chain rule correctly. Don't forget the f '(x) at the end :)

Now can you find out what is [2f(x)*f '(x)] ' using the product rule?

sonofjohn said:
could I possibly multiply them and get f(2x^2)?

Where are you getting 2x^2 from? Think of f^2(x) as f(x)*f(x). What's the derivative of that. That uses the product rule instead of the chain rule, if you have trouble remembering that one.

2f'(x) + f"(x)2f(x) would that be it and then just number plug?

No! Why is the first term 2f'(x)?

it should be 2f'(x)f'(x) + f"(x)2f(x) = 42. I messed up the chain rule again :(

Last edited:

Now 7 is another problem I have yet to face. I see that t is in seconds so I think I should multiply t by 60 to convert it to minutes. Should I then plug 1 in for y and take the derivative?

sonofjohn said:
it should be 2f'(x)f'(x) + f"(x)2f(x) = 42. I messed up the chain rule again :(

Actually that's the product rule.

sonofjohn said:
Now 7 is another problem I have yet to face. I see that t is in seconds so I think I should multiply t by 60 to convert it to minutes. Should I then plug 1 in for y and take the derivative?

If [tex] \frac{dy}{dt} = ky [/tex] Then y = ? Solve this separable DE.

Ok so using the seperable differentiation (not what it's called) I come out with dy/y = (dt)k

where do I go from there?

I would integrate it.

Integrating yields y = dk ?

No. The integral of dy/y is not equal to y and the integral of (k)(dt) is not equal to dk. You may want to review your integrals.

Yes I do. I need to review all of Calc 1 really. Is the integration lny = t(dk/dt)

Much closer but not quite. Your equation should read: ln(y) = kt.

yes, because k is a constant! Now if I plug y in I get ln1/t but t is in seconds so it would be ln1/60 right? But ln1 is zero and that ruins it all.

Write your equation in terms of y and then solve.

Edit: try this. We know y = e^kt. If we let y designate the initial amount of the isotope then y = e^k. Now based on the information we may express the half life as: y/2 = e^60k or y = 2e^60k. Equate the two and solve.

I see where the 60 seconds is coming from in the e^60k but not where the y/2 comes from on the other side of the equation.

Half-life. Half of the amount of the initial isotope has decayed at t = 60, hence, y/2.

sonofjohn said:
I see where the 60 seconds is coming from in the e^60k but not where the y/2 comes from on the other side of the equation.

That's probably what HALF life means

Ahhh, got it that makes sense :) So now do I plug the dy/dt = ky into the equation?

No, you just need to solve for k.

If I solve for k I would need to take the natural log of both sides and get k = 30lny

jgens said:
Write your equation in terms of y and then solve.

Edit: try this. We know y = e^kt. If we let y designate the initial amount of the isotope then y = e^k. Now based on the information we may express the half life as: y/2 = e^60k or y = 2e^60k. Equate the two and solve.

Why does y = e^k? If y denotes the initial amount i.e. when t = 0...