Graduate Schools for Photovoltaic Research

In summary, a graduate school for photovoltaic research is an academic institution that offers advanced degree programs focused on studying and developing solar cell technology. Attending such a program can provide students with specialized knowledge and skills in the field of solar energy, making them highly sought after by employers in the renewable energy industry. Admission requirements typically include a bachelor's degree in a related field, GRE scores, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose. Graduates may find employment in industries such as solar cell manufacturing, renewable energy consulting, and research and development. The most important skills for success in a graduate program for photovoltaic research include a strong interest and passion for renewable energy, analytical and problem-solving skills, and the ability to work independently and in
goldenspirals
Hello! First post on Physics Forums. I am a rising junior majoring in physics at a small liberal arts college. I'm very interested in renewable energy, and this summer I've been introduced to a bit of research in this area. I'm working with a semiconductor material and characterizing thermal conductivity, so I've learned a few things about materials science, semiconductors, etc. I've done a little reading about quantum dots and their role in solar development, and that interests me as well. The graduate school that I'm currently most interested in is http://physics.mines.edu/research/energy.php, because it seems to have many cool projects, and I like their proximity to NREL.

My question is: what are/how can I find other graduate schools that are strong in this area? I'm finding it difficult to pin down which department such projects are listed in. I find a couple things in condensed matter physics, a couple more in the electrical engineering departments, and then a few more things on a materials science website. Yet, simply searching "condensed matter physics" tends to give me a broad range of condensed matter topics, and the electrical engineering topics are sometimes more focused on electronic integration, which is not exactly what I'm looking to do.

Furthermore, when I'm looking for such a specific type of project, how can I know how "prestigious" the program is? (I say that not out of arrogance, but simply because I want to apply to a variety of safety, match, and reach schools.) For example, while I know that UC Merced has a not-so-hot reputation, they seem to have several different projects in renewable energy technology.

I'm just wondering if there is a more efficient way to conduct my graduate school search than to just scour the many webpages of several departments of top physics schools for interesting research. Does anyone have any tips?

Additionally, I apologize if this has been discussed in another forum. I've read many forums about alternative energy schools, but it seems as if most of them are focused on "which major should I pick," whereas I'm more curious about how to conduct a graduate school search for a field that is spread over several disciplines.

Thanks for any input!

Physics news on Phys.org

It's great to hear about your interest in renewable energy and your current research in thermal conductivity of semiconductor materials. The project you mentioned at Colorado School of Mines does sound like an exciting opportunity, especially with its proximity to NREL.

To answer your question about finding other graduate schools with strong programs in renewable energy, I would suggest starting with a few key resources. First, you can check out the websites of professional organizations in the field, such as the American Solar Energy Society or the International Solar Energy Society. These organizations often have lists of recommended graduate programs or directories of schools that offer degrees in renewable energy.

Another resource to consider is the U.S. Department of Energy's National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) website, which has a directory of universities and colleges with renewable energy programs. This can give you a good starting point for schools to research and potentially apply to.

In terms of determining the reputation or prestige of a program, there are a few things you can do. One option is to look at rankings of graduate programs in the relevant fields, such as materials science, electrical engineering, or condensed matter physics. These rankings can give you a general sense of how well-regarded a program is.

You can also reach out to current graduate students or faculty members at the schools you are interested in and ask about their experiences and the reputation of the program. This can give you a more personal and nuanced perspective on the program's strengths and weaknesses.

Lastly, don't discount the value of networking and attending conferences or workshops in the field of renewable energy. These events can be great opportunities to meet and connect with professionals and researchers in the field, and they may have valuable insights and recommendations for graduate programs.

I hope this helps in your search for the right graduate program in renewable energy. Best of luck in your future endeavors!

1. What is a graduate school for photovoltaic research?

A graduate school for photovoltaic research is an academic institution that offers advanced degree programs focused on studying and developing solar cell technology, specifically photovoltaic cells. This includes research on materials, design, and production methods for creating more efficient and cost-effective solar cells.

2. What are the benefits of attending a graduate school for photovoltaic research?

Attending a graduate school for photovoltaic research can provide students with specialized knowledge and skills in the field of solar energy, making them highly sought after by employers in the renewable energy industry. Graduates may also have opportunities to work on cutting-edge research projects and gain hands-on experience with advanced technologies.

3. What are the admission requirements for graduate schools for photovoltaic research?

The specific admission requirements may vary depending on the institution, but most graduate schools for photovoltaic research require applicants to have a bachelor's degree in a related field such as physics, engineering, or materials science. They may also require GRE scores, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose.

4. What job opportunities are available for graduates of photovoltaic research programs?

Graduates of photovoltaic research programs may find employment in a variety of industries, including solar cell manufacturing, renewable energy consulting, and research and development. They may work as engineers, researchers, project managers, or consultants, among other roles.

5. Are there any specific skills or background knowledge required for success in a graduate program for photovoltaic research?

While a background in a related field is helpful, the most important skill for success in a graduate program for photovoltaic research is a strong interest and passion for renewable energy and solar cell technology. Students should also have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to work independently and in a team environment.