Skills to learn before pursuing degree in mechanical engineering

In summary, if you are planning on majoring in mechanical engineering and have free time before starting college, it would be beneficial to learn about equipment commonly used by mechanical engineers, such as valves, pumps, compressors, and gearboxes. Familiarizing yourself with a CAD application and a programming language would also be advantageous. Additionally, hands-on experience with fabrication tools like a drill press, manual mill, and lathe can be valuable for both clubs/teams and your resume.
hunter77
I am going to be entering college as a freshman this fall and planning on majoring in mechanical engineering, but I have plenty of free time until then (~two months) and want to acquire some skills that are essential (or just useful) to the field. I'm interesting in things that would be to my advantage to get a head start on and be familiar with before delving into the courses, such as useful programming languages, computer software, etc.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try and learn about how actual bits of equipment that many actual mechanical engineers work with as part of their jobs, e.g. valves, pumps, compressors, gearboxes etc.

Likes 1 person
I would say learn how to use a CAD application (doesn't matter which one) and/or learn a programming language (doesn't matter which one).

Take a look at the courses that you will be taking and study based off of those.

Hey there!

I just finished up my undergraduate degree in mechanical engineering. My recommendations are:

MATLAB
CAD (Solidworks, Solid Edge (free to download))

Though maybe not as feasible, hands on time with fabrication tools such as a drill press, manual mill, lathe, etc. is great experience not only for any hands on clubs or teams that you may join, but are great for the resume!

1. What are some basic math skills I should have before pursuing a degree in mechanical engineering?

Basic math skills such as algebra, trigonometry, and calculus are essential for understanding and solving complex engineering problems. Additionally, a strong foundation in geometry and physics can also be helpful.

2. Is coding knowledge necessary for a degree in mechanical engineering?

While coding is not a requirement for a mechanical engineering degree, having a basic understanding of programming can be beneficial for designing and analyzing mechanical systems.

3. Are hands-on skills important for a degree in mechanical engineering?

Yes, hands-on skills are crucial for a mechanical engineering degree. Students will need to apply theoretical concepts to practical situations, so having experience with tools, machinery, and building projects is valuable.

4. What software programs should I learn before pursuing a degree in mechanical engineering?

Some commonly used software programs in mechanical engineering are AutoCAD, SolidWorks, and MATLAB. It is also helpful to have a basic understanding of programming languages such as Python or C++.

5. Is it necessary to have prior knowledge of mechanical systems before pursuing a degree in mechanical engineering?

No, it is not necessary to have prior knowledge of mechanical systems before pursuing a degree in mechanical engineering. However, having an interest in how things work and a basic understanding of mechanical principles can be beneficial.