Photoelectric Effect: Grade 12 Questions Answered

In summary, the metal will stop getting electrons after a certain amount of time, becoming more positively charged.
mustafallica
ok what i don't understand is that, after a certain amount of time, won't the piece of metal loose all its electrons becoming completely positive!, what will happen then, just beomes +vly charged, am in grade 12 and my teacher couldn't give me a satisfying answer, thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming no outside source of electrons, as you knock off more and more electrons, the metal becomes more and more positively charged. This means that the photons have to have more and more energy to knock off any more electrons. Pretty soon even cosmic rays (the photons with the most energy), won't even be able to knock off any more electrons and the whole thing comes to a halt. Keep in mind that the electricmagnetic field is VERY strong. It doesn't take much of an imbalance to bring the whole thing to a halt.

Normally, if you want electrons to continue to fly off the metal, you have to supply an outside voltage

cool, thanks bud

Hmmm I posted a similar question just today. The electrons must eventually return since the metal is positively charged. I've been looking for more detailed discussion of how soon they return and how far the holes left behind can drift.

No they don't. The cathode is grounded, so none of the photoelectrons have to "return". If you look at a standard photoelectric setup, it is the anode that is biased to a positive potential. This is all you need to collect the photoelectrons.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
No they don't. The cathode is grounded, so none of the photoelectrons have to "return". If you look at a standard photoelectric setup, it is the anode that is biased to a positive potential. This is all you need to collect the photoelectrons.

Zz.
Dear Zz,

Thanks for your response. I see what you mean. If the metal is grounded, electrons can "return" through ground rather than directly. Or another way to think of it is the holes also leave the metal through ground?

What if the metal is floating (e.g.,placed on insulator)?

free_electron said:
Dear Zz,

Thanks for your response. I see what you mean. If the metal is grounded, electrons can "return" through ground rather than directly. Or another way to think of it is the holes also leave the metal through ground?

What if the metal is floating (e.g.,placed on insulator)?

Then you get the charging effect and after a while, you'll stop getting any photoelectrons coming out, because the effective work function would have increased beyond the energy of the incoming photons.

People who do photoemission spectroscopy on insulating material have to deal with this all the time. I certainly did.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Then you get the charging effect and after a while, you'll stop getting any photoelectrons coming out, because the effective work function would have increased beyond the energy of the incoming photons.

People who do photoemission spectroscopy on insulating material have to deal with this all the time. I certainly did.

Zz.
Great you're the right person to ask then! :)

1. What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is the phenomenon in which electrons are emitted from a material when it is exposed to light of a certain frequency. This was first discovered by Albert Einstein and is a crucial concept in understanding the behavior of light and matter.

2. How does the photoelectric effect relate to the quantum nature of light?

The photoelectric effect provides evidence for the particle-like nature of light, as it shows that light is made up of discrete packets of energy called photons. The amount of energy in a photon is directly proportional to the frequency of light, which is why only certain frequencies of light can cause the photoelectric effect.

3. What is the work function in the context of the photoelectric effect?

The work function is the minimum amount of energy required to remove an electron from the surface of a material. It varies for different materials and is an important factor in determining whether the photoelectric effect will occur.

4. What is the stopping potential in the photoelectric effect?

The stopping potential is the minimum potential difference that needs to be applied to stop the emission of electrons in the photoelectric effect. It is directly related to the maximum kinetic energy of the emitted electrons and can be used to calculate the work function of the material.

5. How does the photoelectric effect support the wave-particle duality of light?

The photoelectric effect shows that light can behave as both a particle and a wave. The photoelectric effect is explained by the particle nature of light, while other phenomena such as interference and diffraction can only be explained by the wave nature of light. This duality is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics.