VOTE Photo Contest - Silhouette

In summary: I was able to capture the silhouette, and I thought it would be a cool addition to the theme. In summary, this contest has been great thus far. There are some amazing pictures in it, and it may be a difficult and close voting.

VOTE PF Photo Contest - Silhouette

• turbo-1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ZapperZ

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Janus

• neutrino

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • matthyaouw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • detta

• FredGarvin

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • alex_caps

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
For a contest that started out rather slow, this has turned into a terrific one. There are some amazing pictures in this contest, so it may be a difficult and close voting.

Please choose a picture that best represents our theme, which is a picture that has a silhouette of an object/person/s.

1. turbo-1
trees_sunset.jpg

2. ZapperZ
http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/1286/img3424ga4.jpg

3. Janus
http://home.earthlink.net/~parvey/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/silhouette.jpg

4. neutrino
IMG_1005.jpg

5. matthyaouw
window.jpg

6. detta
http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/9033/silfi1.jpg

7. FredGarvin
http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/301/silhouette2smfm1.jpg

8. alex_caps
http://bikeflat.com/albums/newmexico/DSC_4917.sized.jpg
Contest thread

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is REALLY hard, but I have to go with Zz. The picture just has an Art Deco appeal to it.

4. neutrino

naturalistic, aesthetic, contemplative, simple but complex areas, good composition, interesting internal to edge structure and division of spaces--good, I like it

Had to go with neutrino. He nailed this one. Wonderful subject and composition. Nice implementation of the new camera, buddy!

Last edited:
Hmmmm, turbo and matthyaouw were tied for a close second for me. Turbo's was classic, and matthyaouw's keen eye caught a great picture. I do like neutrino's also for the starkness, I just wish the bird beak wasn't blurred, that ruined it for me, I would have loved the overall picture to be a bit crisper and more in focus. alex_caps is also very nice. Heck, they're all great in one way or another.

Last edited:
I kind of like the blurred bleak--it makes the photo 'move' / show movement to just a small degree. I can't remember the name of the photographer, but somewhere in that 1960's to 1980's period there was a artist that become fairly well known for having a 'blurring' effect to part of the photo. Funny to think about but that 'straight on' /profile period of Picasso was from a photographer that did a 'time' shot of a woman showing both slightly blurring where her face 'overlapped' perfectly.

----------------------

I like the bottom bird's 'bottom' edge/belly and how it mimics the brach's curve that it's standing on.

Last edited:
neutrino's picture would make a really cool mural. I love the background color.

I voted for Janus' but everytime i look at it, it seems more sinister :uhh:

Perhaps its just me :tongue2:

rewebster said:
I kind of like the blurred bleak--it makes the photo 'move' / show movement to just a small degree. I can't remember the name of the photographer, but somewhere in that 1960's to 1980's period there was a artist that become fairly well known for having a 'blurring' effect to part of the photo. Funny to think about but that 'straight on' /profile period of Picasso was from a photographer that did a 'time' shot of a woman showing both slightly blurring where her face 'overlapped' perfectly.

----------------------

I like the bottom bird's 'bottom' edge/belly and how it mimics the brach's curve that it's standing on.
My first husband was a photographer, and I had learning how to focus the Nikon he bought me beaten into my head so I'm a bit predjudiced. I still have nightmares about f-stops. He did our wedding pictures and forgot that he'd been doing infrared photography. I think I have the only infrared wedding pictures.

Last edited:
Evo said:
My first husband was a photographer, and I had learning how to focus the Nikon he bought me beaten into my head so I'm a bit predjudiced. I still have nightmares about f-stops. He did our wedding pictures and forgot that he'd been doing infrared photography. I think I have the only infrared wedding pictures.

so, is there a joke in there?---'I bet "they looked HOT"'

rewebster said:
4. neutrino

naturalistic, aesthetic, contemplative, simple but complex areas, good composition, interesting internal to edge structure and division of spaces--good, I like it

turbo-1 said:
Had to go with neutrino. He nailed this one. Wonderful subject and composition. Nice implementation of the new camera, buddy!

Evo said:
I do like neutrino's also for the starkness, I just wish the bird beak wasn't blurred, that ruined it for me, I would have loved the overall picture to be a bit crisper and more in focus. alex_caps is also very nice. Heck, they're all great in one way or another.

rewebster said:

----------------------

Thank you all for the C&C. It was, in a way, a "random" shot. I hoped to achieve better focus the second time, but while I was busy previewing the image on the LCD, the crows flew away. :frown:

This was a tough one. I had a really hard time deciding between Janus, neutrino and alex_caps. In the end I decided to go with neutrino's picture because it is simple and elegant and based entirely on the theme of the contest.

I have a soft spot for Janus' photo. That's touching.

neutrino said:
Thank you all for the C&C. It was, in a way, a "random" shot. I hoped to achieve better focus the second time, but while I was busy previewing the image on the LCD, the crows flew away. :frown:

ahhh--nothing is random (according to Einstein) :wink:

-------------------

turbo--I like 'different' cloud shots--I've seen that ripple effect in clouds, but have never seen it at three different vectors/angles before--one many times, twice once in a while, but never three

Last edited:
FredGarvin gets my vote. There's just something really serene and relaxed about it...

matthyaouw said:
FredGarvin gets my vote. There's just something really serene and relaxed about it...
Fishing with my BIL is anything but relaxing (jk) but it is heaven on Earth up there.

I had to give Neutrino the nod. That picture reminds of a Shoji screen. Very cool picture.

You have less than 2 days left to vote in this contest.

Zz.

1. What is the purpose of the "VOTE PF Photo Contest - Silhouette"?

The purpose of the "VOTE PF Photo Contest - Silhouette" is to encourage photographers to capture and submit their best silhouette photos for a chance to win prizes and be featured on the PF website and social media platforms.

2. How do I submit my silhouette photo to the contest?

To submit your silhouette photo to the contest, visit the PF website and follow the instructions on the contest page. You will need to provide your name, email address, and the photo file. Only one submission per person is allowed.

3. Can I edit or manipulate my silhouette photo before submitting it?

Yes, minor edits and enhancements are allowed, but the photo must still be primarily a silhouette. Any major alterations or use of filters that significantly change the original photo will result in disqualification.

4. Who can participate in the "VOTE PF Photo Contest - Silhouette"?

The contest is open to anyone who is 18 years or older and has a valid email address. Both amateur and professional photographers are welcome to participate.

5. How are the winners of the "VOTE PF Photo Contest - Silhouette" determined?

The winners are determined by a combination of public votes and a panel of judges. The top 10 photos with the most public votes will be reviewed by the judges, who will select the final winners based on creativity, composition, and adherence to the silhouette theme.