What are the major areas of study in a Mechanical Engineering Degree?

In summary, the conversation involved someone seeking information on the primary fields of study for a degree in Mechanical Engineering and how they are related. The ASME website was suggested as a resource for finding this information.
Strontium90
Hello, I am interested in finding out what are the primary fields of study for a degree in Mechanical Engineering. I also want to know how these fields of study fit together. If anyone can help, please contact me. Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
http://www.northumbria.ac.uk/?view=CourseDetail&code=DUPMEE1&page=modules

Last edited by a moderator:
Strontium90 said:
Hello, I am interested in finding out what are the primary fields of study for a degree in Mechanical Engineering. I also want to know how these fields of study fit together. If anyone can help, please contact me. Thank you.

Browse the ASME website. The following page gives the Technical Divisions and Institutes.
http://www.asme.org/groups/technical-institutes-and-divisions

I see it. Thank you.

1. What are the core subjects in a Mechanical Engineering degree?

The core subjects in a Mechanical Engineering degree typically include mathematics, physics, materials science, thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, solid mechanics, and mechanical design.

2. What are the major areas of specialization in Mechanical Engineering?

Some major areas of specialization in Mechanical Engineering include robotics, mechatronics, automotive engineering, aerospace engineering, manufacturing, and energy systems.

3. How does a Mechanical Engineering degree prepare me for a career?

A Mechanical Engineering degree provides a strong foundation in math, science, and engineering principles, as well as hands-on experience with designing and analyzing mechanical systems. This prepares individuals for a variety of careers in industries such as manufacturing, transportation, aerospace, and energy.

4. Are there any specific skills or technologies that are important for Mechanical Engineers?

Some important skills and technologies for Mechanical Engineers include computer-aided design (CAD) software, computer-aided manufacturing (CAM) software, programming languages, and knowledge of materials and their properties.

5. Can a Mechanical Engineering degree lead to other career paths?

Yes, a degree in Mechanical Engineering can lead to a variety of career paths beyond traditional engineering roles. Some possible career paths include project management, technical sales, consulting, and research and development.